Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new ride - finally on the road

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grdra1, Jul 9, 2018.

1. grdra1

grdra1

I have just purchased this 5 window coupe here in Aus and will be re engineering to suit Aust street rod regulations for registration. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this car. The chap I purchased it from new nothing of its history. Has SBC, 3 speed auto, 9inch rear, any info / history would be greatly appreciated. Glen P2200271.JPG P2200277.JPG P2200273.JPG P2200280.JPG P2200283.JPG P2200282.JPG

2. aaggie

aaggie

Looks like a basic honest Hot Rod. Not a lot of bling but a fun ride. The smoke out of the exhaust is probably the typical SBC valve stem seals. Run a compression check and they are easy to change especially on a roadster.
    I read an old copy of the Australian rules book and it seemed like everything done from stock had to be signed off by a licensed Engineer.

deadbeat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. That smoke might just be from the cold morning weather. Aren't those guys in Winter now down-under?

4. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Very cool ride. I am working on one similar. any chance you could post some close up pictures of the gas fill, hoses and tank ?
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. grdra1

grdra1

That's correct just started car on cold day, but there was a smell of oil in the air. No smoke or vapor once warm. A licenced engineer has to sign off on the build, regulations are quite strict. I plan to convert to RHD, have to use a collapsible steering column, strengthen chassis as no K member, plate chassis over rear, strengthen all suspension mount points, burst proof door locks, intrusion bars in doors, retractable seat belts, cycle guards, window glass etc etc. The list goes on, but I have downloaded all regulations / guidelines and will build to suit. I plan to keep the car basically the same style, I'm not a fan of bling. I also plan to build a killer engine / trans combo to install for some drag racing duties then return to street trim for cruising. Watch this space for the build. Glen

6. grdra1

grdra1

No probs, I will post many pics as I strip the car down for re-engineering ( I hope I don't rebuild as I tend to get carried away - check out my Topolino ). Glen

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - sounds like you have a solid plan for it

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Man, no history but sure is a nice looking little rig. Enjoy it!

9. brady1929

brady1929

Cool coupe. Congrats.

10. cederholm

cederholm

Great looking car! What needs to be done for you to be able to register it?

~ Carl

11. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Nice car, looking forward to your build.

12. RonBulmer

RonBulmer

13. congrats, can't help ya on history.. but looks like you have great ride there, make your own history with it !

Ranchero59 likes this.
  14. EVL401

EVL401

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. jfh1959

jfh1959

Very nice,hope you have fun with it!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Great looking piece, sounds like a bunch of ''reengineering'.

nevrdun and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  17. grdra1

grdra1

Started build now, I have purchased new RHD vega steering box, collapsible steering column, new steering wheel, mini starter and a 32 grille shell so far. Also have ordered a so-cal deluxe front disc brake kit and new steering arms. Started stripping car, will convert to RHD first, set up steering etc. Will need to pull body off later to strengthen chassis and I will re-mount the 9 inch rear with a triangle 4 link setup and add disc brakes. Check out pics, more to come, Glen P3020289.JPG P3020293.JPG P3020294.JPG P3020290.JPG

18. grdra1

grdra1

Thanks for advice, will investigate. Glen

19. Deuces

Deuces

Yes! Ask me how I know..... :(

20. Deuces

Deuces

Without looking at the weather in N.S.W., I'd say it's probably around 55°F there this time of year.... ;)
    I'll go look.....:rolleyes:

I was close...... 51° in Sydney..
    I lived farther south in the lake illawarra district.. probably a bit cooler....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  21. grdra1

grdra1

Some more pics, started mounting column, will purchase a new brake booster and move to right side, will make trans mount removable once I strengthen chassis, removed exhaust and will need to fabricate a new system when 4 link completed. Also started removing interior etc as I will take body of soon. Will make a bolt in roll bar / hoop to mount seat belts and also make a small hoop under dash to mount steering column. Glen P3030297.JPG P3040301.JPG P3040303.JPG P3040306.JPG P3030299.JPG P3030300.JPG

22. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

x38 is on the money with them steering boxes , get your self a good old holden one

23. Avgas

Avgas

Steel body, original chassis, just rock up to rego & see how it goes, I would

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. grdra1

grdra1

I had a engineer look at car before purchase, he stated that if chassis could be proven to be original, car could obtain full Vic rego. If I cannot prove chassis is original and is a reproduction then it must go on street rod limited rego. How can I determine if chassis is original, what do I look for, there is a chassis number on chassis Left side on bottom of rail between engine mount and A pillar..Engineer stated it is possibly a reproduction chassis. I will go with a HQ steering box as per recent advice but will ask those who sold me the vega box why they are selling inferior steering boxes to Aust market and ask them to explain there rational. Thanks for all comments, negative or otherwise, I am willing to listen to others as long as there is a rational behind advice. I plan to make chassis comply with street rod guidelines and be safe to drive for all my family members to use on a daily basis ( wife and 2 adult children ). I appreciate all comments / advice - either positive or negative. Glen

25. grdra1

grdra1

Furthermore it was always my intention to convert car to RHD and to add 4 wheel disc brakes, regardless of registration requirements. As previously mentioned I plan to build a high horsepower engine for this car. Glen

26. grdra1

grdra1

I understand that they will try to to defend themselves, but if the product is inferior then they need to put the safety of all road users before profits. Thanks again for advice. Glen.

27. belair

belair

Nice car, I like your choice of steering wheel. As for your search for a rationale for the sellers, greed is # 1, ignorance is # 2.

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats. Way :cool: car.

29. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

were the frame rails put into the cab?

30. grdra1

grdra1

A few pics of latest progress, I have purchased some roll cage tube and plan to make a weld in unit that will tie to the chassis at the rear, I will mount cage as close to the body as I can yet still have body lift of over it. I would prefer a weld in unit to help strengthen chassis for drag racing purposes. I can make it bolt in but only if I have to. I plan to start making cage and having it tacked in before taking body off. I will at this stage keep the shocks mounted in the same way but just strengthen area with fish plates and have cage attach this area. As previously mentioned the rear will have a triangulated 4 link setup. Chassis will receive a new beefier K member and I will make trans mount removable and add a tailshaft loop. P3120307.JPG P3120312.JPG P3120316.JPG P3120318.JPG P3120320.JPG P3120321.JPG Glen