Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1934coupe

1934coupe

And it say's it's a Kaiser.

One Car, One Man, One Year: The Curious Tale Of Don Haynes

[​IMG]
    By DAVID CHICK AUGUST 01, 2014

[​IMG]It’s not often that we stumble upon a story like this. Myths abound concerning the case of Don Haynes and his peculiar American adventure, but one thing is undeniable–the man was a showman.

[​IMG]
    Haynes and his Kaiser.

The yarn begins in Ashland, Oregon, where Haynes was living life as a truck driver and member of the Merchant Marines. He claims to have started a bet with a local farmer–$25,000–wagering that he could travel through all 48 states while remaining inside a 1949 Kaiser DeLuxe.

Eating, sleeping, bathing, exercising, and all other normal human behaviors were to be carried out within the confines of the sedan, which would have its doors welded completely shut. Other modifications included a toilet, fold-out bed, and hot-and-cold faucet among other necessities.

[​IMG]
    An advertisement promoting Haynes, a.k.a. the “Seaman of the Sealed Car.”

Haynes got himself an advance man and chase vehicle to help with the promotion and upkeep, respectively, of the “Marvel Man” and his white Kaiser as they toured the nation starting in April 1949. Yet, for some reason or another, Haynes was forced to give up two weeks shy of the deadline in April 1950, and unceremoniously had the car’s doors removed.

Haynes would go on to try similar stunts in later years, including attempts to procure pajama bottoms from the governor of every state, as well as a short-lived road trip with the wife. None would ever bring the man the kind of fame he achieved in his first attempt, nor would they spawn the same kinds of rumors.

And how wild they were. Some asserted that the whole shebang was actually just a publicity stunt put on by Kaiser-Frazer, as a way of promoting the ride comfort of the DeLuxe. Others argued that Haynes had actually installed and used a pair of removable floorpans, which he would use to get fresh air in unseen locations.

No one can say for sure what caused Haynes to forfeit his wager all those years ago, and as time goes by, the chances of closure are getting slimmer by the day. It’s probably just as well that this story goes on with a big question mark at the end of it, because it’s intriguing…to no end.

[​IMG]

2. hendelec

hendelec

I have a yellow one I bought at a yard sale a few years ago for $1.50........the sound is realistic. It has low pitch idle rumble when tires are turned slow, and a good high speed roar when push fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. hendelec

hendelec

loudbang likes this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

From Michail LeFevers FB post Coming up again. Soon.[​IMG]

5. It's your phone, I hear this all the time.
    ALL my pics are posted using a HP desktop PC, nothing else ever. I NEVER use my tablet or phone for posting.
    Does right clicking work, " Show picture" or whatever it says?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

I always use a computer for uploading and viewing, and it is very rare that I cannot see a photo.

7. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Thanks. I'll do some research and see what I can find out. I'm sure I'm missing some great pictures. I don't use a home computer anymore since I can order parts, email,etc. with the cell phone.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. greybeard360

greybeard360

If you are using the HAMB app.... That is the problem. I couldn't see but a tenth of what some people posted. Delete the app and view the site with your browser... No more problems!!

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I repurchased one some 10 years back because I have no idea what I had done with the one I had as a very small child. There is still 8mm film of me trying to catch the car as my Dad pulled it around. I tried and I tried but could not catch it. I gave up and just sat crying there in the drive way. Maybe I purchased another as to say. There!, mine now.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Somewhere around the Albany/Corvallis area in Oregon.

11. Al G

Al G

12. Al G

Al G

13. Al G

Al G

14. Looks like this one still has the original mechanical brakes on it,s 1932 "heavy" axle..

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. swi66

swi66

16. loudbang

loudbang

Guy looks like the MUNSTER father (the TV show not the more recent movie)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.