Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Headlights for a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edcj7, Jun 18, 2018.

1. edcj7

edcj7

I'm building my first 30 Model A coupe and I'm trying to figure out which headlights I want to use. I have been leaning toward the Model A headlights with the turn signal inside that SoCal offers but i'm not sure that's what I want to do. I have also been looking at the 34 commercial and the 32 headlights. I'm looking for some opinions and maybe some pictures of Model A's from the front. I see a lot of pics but I don't know which headlights they have. Also, mine is a fenderless car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  2. BLCs just look right.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"You WANT really BIG headlights,"
    I actually heard someone tell a guy this at a Billetproof run.
    Hmmm, didn't know the guy he was tellin', so maybe he did. I damn sure didn't.:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I vote for '34 Commercial, but I'm prejudiced.

Muttley and Stogy like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grumpy I was wondering what the model # your Guides are and are they originals or repro. The Main bulb is a #2 typical or is that specific to the Headlight as well? Just curious. I went through your thread and did not catch mention of them.
    Nice Hotrod by the way...;)

Guide 682-C
    I have been poking my nose around and see these and note they come with lenses modded for bulbs...please verify thank you.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

run what you like... easy to change later...
    I ran guides with markers... but then everyone started running them...
    I had the American Graphiti '32's lights, now using the rounder, shorter guides... 904? ...
    IMO... run a chopped down stock model A HL bar...

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy... Thank you. Unfortunately I do not know the origins of these lights. They are a repop, when I got them they were 12 volt led and I converted them to 6 volt seal beam. The guy that I bought them from did not know anything about them other than they came on a car that he bought. They appear to be well made and are quite heavy but there are not any markings on them at all. Sorry that I can't be of help.
    Grumpy...

Stogy likes this.
  8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have BLC's on my 29![​IMG]

9. I originally had 34 commercials on my 34 but read too many stories of short beams, diffused lighting etc.. I went with old Guide 682J's. Used halogen sealed beams in them because I wanna drive my car and I want to see. 34headlites.jpg 34signals3.jpg

four5four and Stogy like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I found a pair of 'Arrow', swap meet seller didn't know anything about them. $10.
    No rust, no dings/dents. Rings are nice, screws were rusty. Got stainless screws from Ace Hardware. $3. ...and they look GOOD!

11. verde742

verde742

FYI Edsels have two on each side.....

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shadow-of-its-past-and-grassy-shadow.jpg
    Not for everyone...however these I believe are 1928 Cadillac.
    Cool features wire mesh that looks vintage and casts mesh shadow at night and silver is faded and light has orangy yellow glow...

29_back.jpg

0_20161031_152025.jpg

Chappy444, catdad49 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  14. edcj7

edcj7

Thanks for all the replies and I really appreciate the pics. It's a tough decision and they cost so much I just want to make sure I get the ones that I will be happy with. Thanks again!