Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  2. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Is the "High-Low" valve the part that you sometimes see a Funny Car crew member flip right before the body is dropped & secured after burnouts are completed ???

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. No the high low is controlled by the driver from inside the car. After a burn out a crew member removes the throttle stop. This stop is a piece of aluminum that has a groove machined into it. The groove goes onto the throttle cable and it is held in place with a pin. It allows the throttle to open only so far. This prevents over revving situations that can hurt parts. After the car backs up the limiter is removed. The crew may also remove plugs called air bleeds. These plugs fill holes that are located behind or below the butterflies to lean out the mixture and increase rpms. Some use tape over the holes and pull off as many as are needed. I use a rotating knob with a slot. More slot more air more rpm. Other crew members may be doing other things like turning on the data recorder or removing parachute pins. a good crew can get the car started and staged with no theatrics. It should be so smooth it looks like no one is really doing anything but in reality there is a lot going on.

Floater03, enloe, drdave and 6 others like this.
  4. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

Thanks for taking the time to provide the explanation ... This is how we learn !!.. :)..

drdave, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  5. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

OK - silly question. Do you have to do the resurfacing of the manifold / blower interface every time the manifold is removed from the engine or is it one and done after the first installation?

6. One and done. It's not a silly question.

chryslerfan55, enloe, drdave and 3 others like this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

What the status of the old setup’s oil cooler? Wait and see? Or one of the loose ends?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Here's some of the details that I needed to get done. The only big things that remain are the water tube mods and the alternator brackets welded to the chassis. The puke tanks also need to be made. The two chute mounts were welded on. The system one oil filter was mounted. It was mounted with the cap facing up. That way when it's serviced oil isn't pouring all over. The kill switch was moved closer to the steering wheel. It was placed close to the fuel shut offs. With one push of my hand I will be able to turn off the fuel and ignition. After last summer's mess this was high on the priority list. The steering shaft needed to be moved. To make it work and clear the oil pump a double u joint needed to be added. The oil cooler is larger this year by three inches. I'm still able to get my hand on the mag to set the timing. The golf cart was sent to John shepards for a little bling. He laid down some real gold leaf to match the car along with some pin striping. I think it's just enough to set it off. Another weekend of work should get me real close to firing it up and driving it. 20180601_195159.jpg 20180601_195216.jpg 20180601_195234.jpg 20180601_195259.jpg 20180601_195325.jpg 20180601_195623.jpg 20180601_195639.jpg

9. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

10. Tomorrow the car goes back to the chassis shop. For the last few weeks I have been dropping it off on Monday morning and picking it up on Friday after work. I get alot of work done on the weekend. I just need the oil pump to start it up. I should get it this week. Besides the work on the car I mounted the tow hitch on the golf cart. I also got the trailer set up for the season. Fresh sheets on the bed and the water tank filled were part of it. The generator was checked out and tested. With any luck the car will be at the Chrysler employee car show in auburn hills next week. It's going to take a huge effort to get it cleaned up for that show and bowling green. The work never ends.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RacerX is that steering where you want it or is it adjustable to your preferred position as it seems low from my perspective?​

12. It's non adjustable. I think it's the way the pic was taken that makes it look low.

13. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Looks great Brian!

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  14. thanks. i will look for you in bg. maybe we could go into town for a good dinner one night if you have time.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  15. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

I wont make BG this year otherwise that wold be great. Going on the Hot Rod Power Tour for work. Will see you at Drag week.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Brian you can buy me dinner. :D

17. If your showing up I will.

Nostrebor, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We will be there sometime Wednesday afternoon.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Steak and shake here we come.

20. woodywilly

woodywilly
    from Orillia

There are some good restauants in BG, try the white squirrel brewery. Craft beer and good hamburgers.

21. The bbq place we liked burned down. It was on the main drag near the hotels. We will check out the squirrel. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 20180608_094935.jpg I picked up the car this morning. The puke tank is done. It's 1.04 gallons just over the Nhra minimum.it. has a vent and a drain. I'm not thrilled with the look of the Nhra approved grey hose. I might find another style. The alternator is mounted so we can start street driving it. The water tube was shortened about 3 feet. A an fitting was welded to the end. A y-block with fittings was made to connect it all. The block is mounted to the frame. A second frame clamp was added for support. To clear a water fitting .050 was removed from the idler pulleys diameter on the inside belt guide. All i need to do is mount the oil pump and make a pair of oil lines. I will add water to the radiator and fire it up. Bg here we come. I cant wait to hear the car on a big nitro load. 20180608_094712.jpg 20180608_094726.jpg 20180608_094742.jpg 20180608_094801.jpg 20180608_094831.jpg View attachment 3926139

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Never knew there were white squirrels until my wife sent a photo of her and her sister at the White Squirrel Brewery in BG. Her nephew manages one of the major hotels and said I should come down for the reunion, he'd cover the room.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Do it. Jump in the car and start driving. You still have time to make it. First beer is on me. By is a great show.

Stogy, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I got to be in Manassas, VA on Saturday for my "wife's" family reunion..By is 10 plus hours away; Gees I'd rather be in Bowling Green, KY..Argh!!

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Spell check BG

chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

:oops: Oops..One of my occasional errors..

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  28. I'm a dirty mess. The car is a dirty mess. The shop is mess. That's ok because the car is ready to go. It's been pre lubed. It's full of water. It timed. It lashed. It's set. I can clean the car when I get there and I can clean the shop when I get back home. Anyone that's going to bowling green stop by to say hey. 20180611_224116.jpg 20180611_224105.jpg

Stogy, loudbang, Budget36 and 7 others like this.
  29. Now we are talkin, best luck and keep us posted.

racer-x, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Will do. It's bed time. I'm beat. I have a 11 hour drive tomorrow.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.