Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car show question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rjones35, May 11, 2018.

1. I think its a fairly recent development. I don't remember a bunch of late models at rod runs/car shows back in the 70s. But then the cutoff for a lot of car shows was 1948. I think the NSRA, Goodguys and others have caused the infiltration of Camaros, Mustangs and late models into the car shows.
    I guess it takes a lot of work to go down to the dealer and buy a new pony car, drive through a car wash then head to the car show and spend a hour polishing it.

2. trollst

trollst

From the other side of the fence.........I put on the local car show here, july 7, and it's a huge amount of work. Those of you who feel free to criticise, try it sometime, it involves chasing down some sponsorship money so you can operate, buy tee shirts and print posters, chasing down prizes, cajoling businesses into cooperating, getting the towns permission to close streets, lining up a band or dj, securing enough volunteers to hold the show, lining up tables and tents, and then....finding a way to pay for it all.
    This year, because we're a logging town, I drove hundreds of miles in total to visit truck dealers to invite their participation, equipment manufacturers to ask them to show their stuff, invited local truck guys and girls to show their trucks, as well as the hot rod crowd, making this thing into more of an event as just a car show. So....I'll take anybody who wants to give me $15 to enter and show their pride and joy, even if it is new. Ultimately, the end result is the community enjoys a great day, local charities will get some cash from the show, everybody wins. Believe it or not, there are people interested in the new stuff, not everybody who attends shows has the hot rod mentality.
    Answer your question?

3. rjones35

rjones35

HA! All that polishing...wax on, wax off.....

4. You could save some money by not having a band or DJ. Thats the worst part of a car show anyway. Too loud, sucky music. My 2¢

Jibs, hrm2k, Muttley and 7 others like this.
  5. dave89iroc

dave89iroc

Isn't that the truth...............

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 there. I have never gone to a car show, cruise night or any other event because they had music there. I have left a lot of them early because the "music" was too freaking loud even hundreds of feet from the stage. We go to car shows to share our car, see other cars and visit with other car folk and I doubt many of us go to hear recorded music over loud speakers or just because some band is there.

On the original subject of the thread I went up and did a walk through and took photos of the cars at a local annual event at the Central Washington Agriculture Museum in Union Gap a couple of weeks ago and cars ranged from a spotless 1910 Brass Model T to an equally spotless 2018 Corvette. I took 303 photos at the event but didn't take photos of a huge number of post 1970 stockers or stockers with fancy wheels. It's an open event that is a fund raiser for the museum and you do as the song says and "just walk on by" the cars you aren't interested in. I probably hurt a couple of guys feelings because I took a good number of photos of the car next to theirs while they watched but walked by their cars without a glance. A few of them may have paid the entry fee just to not have to walk a quarter mile from the parking lot. I might have done that myself but walked instead.

I gave up on the idea having to win a trophy or award when I go to rod trots. If I want a trophy I'll enter my rig in an indoor show where that is a big part of what it is all about. Out door shows are for fun and enjoying other car folk and their cars. If your car gets picked for an award that is a bonus but shouldn't be expected.

BigDogSS, pitman, Mike Moreau and 3 others like this.
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No idea what you mean, "Too much money". The object, as I see it, shouldn't be to complain about guys with "too much money", it should be about working your ass off to get what you need or what you'd like to have. If you don't like what someone does or has, ignore it and concentrate on getting what you want, or so it seems to me........

8. I consider car shows and swap meets both as an excuse to connect with the car, and car people.
    Neither of the events are 100% ideal, but they are the closest thing available to satisfy my car fix.
    I've come to the conclusion that this is not a perfect world..and never will be (I don't understand why everybody can't be perfect like me).

hendelec, zzford and rjones35 like this.
  9. Oilguy

Oilguy

I haven't participated in a car show since 1978. I have visited a few as a spectator. I can't handle Dead Man's Curve at 120db or Little Deuce Coupe every 10 minutes. I would like to meet and greet and speak with other old car enthusiasts but they can sure make it difficult.

hendelec, Mike Moreau and 56don like this.
  10. trollst

trollst

I agree with you guys comments about a band or dj, but I need a p.a system to announce prizes, and some people actually sit and listen to the music. I'm not one of them, I park as far away as I can. I'm just trying to show what goes into making a show and why odd stuff may show up.

Oilguy likes this.
  11. Reason #294 why I skip car shows.

H380 and Truck64 like this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You just can't let stuff bother you at shows. It's nice to
    look at the newer cars too. For instance, most folks will
    never see a Hemi Hellcat or Dodge Demon were
    it not for folks bringing them to shows. Those are the
    collector cars of the future.

BigDogSS and paul philliup like this.
  13. LOL- The shows..... Was once to be about showing your pride and joy for everyone to see...... Now- I want a trophy/recognition.......
    Newer stuff invading? Look else ware. Go to an event that caters to your time frame.
    There's all way's newer stuff every year people! Not your call who's allowed, so don't be pissed about it!
    BUT- your call if you attend! And for the record- SOME people with a fat wallet, are the dumbest at these events.
    Here- we're builders for the most part.... Simple findings to weed out the poseurs...... Just ask a technical question- Most likely "i'll have to ask my mechanic" ........Then there's the politics........ Oh the joys. I'de rather take a long ass drive to no where, with satisfaction that I drove my home built ride, than sit with a bunch of "I didn't build my car" "trophy whores" who know jack shit about anything........

pat59 and trollst like this.
  14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Last show I was at I put a 60's pit bike in the bed of the truck. Everyone liked it, to the point I started it up and ran around. I left before the trophy's. Good day and had a nice cruise.

Scooterville likes this.
  15. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'v been to shows at Chevy dealers where there are a few hot rods and customs and 50 new Corvettes. I'v been to shows at Ford dealers that have a few hot rods and a few customs and 50 Mustangs. All of the Corvettes and Mustangs are identical except the color. At the end of the show there are a few who do a burn out to impress the masses. They either miss a shift or scare themselves.

As I own a 57 and a 54 Ford I just go to shows and cruises that cater to what I like. That's my solution, don't try and go to where you are unhappy, go to where you can where shorts, t-shirts and have a good time looking at cars you enjoy and talk to people who share your interests, enjoy a burger and swap stories of your screw ups during the build.

rjones35 and zzford like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Around here its been like that since the 90s,I done a repair on a seat in a fairly new Sunbird convertible and the owner said do a good job since its a show car.

rjones35 and zzford like this.
  17. I went to a show at a drive in type place in New Jersey where they had an arrow pointing to the left towards a separate lawn area and a sign that said "Late Model Muscle". Quite a few cars but not too many folks were over there looking at the 2017 Camaros and Challengers.

Fitty Toomuch likes this.
  18. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

Around here many of the informal meets will have the newer Camaros, 'Vettes, Mustangs et al; all kinds of Porsches, Hot Rods, Muscle Cars and everything in between. Stop and look and talk to what excites you. The only thing that irritates me is the ones that would talk down on somebody else's car/style. If you laid a wrench onit yourself you have my respect.

David Gersic and Sky Six like this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I believe the correct term for these guys is, "GOLD CHAINERS". Even if they found the jack in the trunk of their car, they would't know how to operate it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

rjones35 likes this.
  20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I like birds. when I drive to a show I look for birds. Sometimes I see something interesting. I dont care if that bird has shinny feathers. its just nice to see it.

wraymen likes this.
  21. I was at a local cruise last night. Lots of Hellcats, late Mustangs and Camaros. But most were far from stock. I don't mind seeing some of them. This is a nice venue and the variety of cars is huge.

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Halibrand Sprints are as traditional as it gets. 50's and 60's wheels. In my books, hub caps and rings look stock, not hotrod.

zzford likes this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do not mind the newer cars at the shows and cruise ins but when the owners start calling them show cars is what gets me irritated.

Scooterville and rjones35 like this.
  24. rjones35

rjones35

Ha!! "Goldchainers" I like that.

25. I don't care if people bring their new cars to shows, but I don't get judging them and giving awards for something that's not even five years old.

26. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

What I find amusing at car shows judged by popular vote is the practice of " families " listed as car owners which means each member can vote. Immediately after entering each member of the family scurries around contacting other "families " in an effort to boost vote numbers for each other by trading votes.
    Those are usually the owners who are " Not in it for trophies " or say " I'm not going to show it "
    Human nature I guess.

27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^^^^Really???? What happened to one registration one vote?
    Crazy

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we should all go back to the 60's and 70's when a car show of any type was rare and unless you were going to a National event you would be lucky to see 50 cars.

around 1974 my buddy and I were riding our bikes around town and saw a Hot Rod, then another, then another so we pedaled down the street following them to the local pizza parlor. must have been 25 Hot Rods there!!! we were so jazzed up we called my friends dad from a payphone so he could come and see them all!

and now here we sit in 2018 bitching about shows with 500 or more cars and a few new ones are there.o_O

BigDogSS, hendelec and papadaddio like this.
  29. I could care less if there are new muscle cars or pick up trucks at the local car shows. I just pass them by. On the other hand, I would love to have a new hemi Challenger as a daily driver! But I can't complain as my daily driver is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK, which I love!

Now on the other hand, it would irk me if the show lot was full, and classic hot rods were being turned away...

I am also not a fan of the loud music!

BigDogSS and dan31 like this.
  30. Word! If that's one's goal, they might just be disappointed............... Remember the adage= always a faster gun, someone quicker, and the old low and behold- (gasp)= Who is judging your car! The "person" behind that clip board might have a fondness to a certain make/model, so what do you think they will gravitate to? It's a repeating cycle. Always will be. Been to a zillion cruise nights, get together's, and formal shows..... I don't see things changing ever.... I have been on both sides of the fence with this discussion...... And, the newer makes will be included.
    Now a days= I will go to a show (gasp)/ (cruise)/ (event) away from me, where I don't know anyone, and don't know their politics. On the + side of all that- I get to see new cars I haven't seen before/ask new Q's, and possibly learn some new things....
    This is one of those things in general with "car shows" that will NEVER change..... Boy's- get used to it, unless you find a specific event to attend. If not- just kick back on the porch reminiscing..........

BigDogSS likes this.