Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects No spark from coil, no start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mister E., May 4, 2018.

1. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

1. Hello, newb here. I'm working on a 1958 apache that has sat for a few years and it is getting the dreaded no spark out coil routine!

Have changed the coil twice with same results. Also the ballast resistor was split in 2 so replaced it. Still no difference.
      I am new to working on these beautiful trucks, but have always wanted one since I was a kid. So part of My dream has come true lol.
      Anyway, its a straight six, starter button on the floor, with ignition/ key switch on dash. Manual transmission, looks to be a 1 ton chassis with heavy spring setup in rear.
      So here is My question, how do I get spark from coil? I know I need new battery terminals and cables since the originals are severely corroded and I'm sure there is a lot that I will probably have to do. But I would really love to get the ol girl up and running asap.
      Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Do you have power at the coil from the ignition switch?

Is your distributor still points? Is it working right

Did you replace the coil with one that needs a resistor ?

What is your battery voltage and cranking speed?

A few more things to check before you start up the parts cannon

Not much in the way of wiring on these trucks but you need good ground and wiring from the battery etc. For the system to work

Mister E. likes this.
  3. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

We checked the coil from battery with a jumper and it would receive power but not send power to the other side. (Where the coil wire it self goes to the distributor. Nor sure about ignition switch it self but when put a rest light on it there is juice getting to it and from it on other side.

Yes it is still a points distributor. Points look clean and snap back into position.

Not sure if the coil needs a resistor. Mighthave to go to parts store and buy brand new one that does not need a resistor. We used 2 that came from running 56 and 60 chevy trucks so figured they would be ok.

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

watch the points while a friend cranks it over. make sure they are opening and closing. take some 180- 320 sandpaper and drag it thru the points to clean em. then do the same with a business card to remove any sandpaper grit from between the contacts.

Hombre, 54vicky, RICH B and 2 others like this.

5. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I have to get spark from the coil before the points will even be a factor.
    If there is no spark from the coil to get to the distributor then it's moot.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the points are what triggers the coil. you have it backwards. clean the points then start it up

7. I bet it needs a good old fashioned tune up and changing the consumable parts.

Condenser, points, rotor, cap, plugs and wires. Coil?? The right one and the correct ballast resistor.

All that stuff needs to good

Mister E. and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Friday night

Mister E. and F&J like this.
  9. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ooops. Ok. Will give that a try. We did try cleaning the points first but can look again and make sure the are getting clean spark.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I have thought of that also. Has fresh fuel already, might have to pull these parts and put new ones if the points thing doesn't work.
    Who knows but willing to try and trace the issue as I go.

11. Vanness

Vanness

Sounds like points issue. Moriorarity is right. Need the points to open to fire...even a test light works for this. Regardless. With power to coil and new coil, you should see spark if points are moving and opening. Sounds to me like they are closed.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Beware new issue POS condensers from the auto parts stores. Put the original back in or grab one from the junk box and try that.

bobwop, Mark Hinds, 6inarow and 2 others like this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

A handy trick that works good. Soak a crisp US $1 dollar bill* in carb cleaner or lighter fluid. Drag it lengthwise through the closed points several times. May have to repeat the soaking, it will evaporate quick. US currency is made with linen so it's tough and has some abrasive to it without leaving anything behind.

Technically emery paper or sandpaper is a no-go for points. At least, the ignition manuals say it is. I know, I know, what the hell do they know? Supposed to use a point file, or riffler file. But a dollar bill is usually handy.

If you're running mechanical voltage regulators the points inside those need attention now and then as well. Nobody does this.

* $20 bill for Alaskans, Californians, NYers., etc.

czuch, 54vicky, Frankie47 and 2 others like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

After you clean the points, spin the motor with the distributor cap off until the rubbing block on the points is on the flat spot on the distributor cam. The points should be closed. Turn the key to the run position and check for 12 volts at the coil terminal that goes to the switch. Now pull the coil wire out of the cap so it is just in the coil. Hold the coil wire about 1/4" away from the engine block and snap the points open and closed and see if you get a spark from the coil wire. If no spark, change the condenser, and try again. If you can't get spark this way check the wiring from the coil to the points and check to make sure the distributor is grounded. Report back.

15. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thank you all, I will be checking and let you know as soon as I am back in the yard to work on it.

Thank you for all the responses

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The points are just a switch. They ground when closed. You can check them with a 12v test light. When they sit around for years they sometimes get a white fur on them that prevents them from working, easy to clean off with 6oo wet or dry sandpaper.

If the points are working and switching the power the coil should fire, you can check by sticking a spark plug wire into the coil and see if the plug fires. If not you could suspect the condenser or coil. A coil is supposed to have a certain amount of resistance, you can check this with a multimeter. If it is not open or shorted it is probably ok. If you suspect the condenser it is easy to put on a new one.

54vicky and Mister E. like this.
  17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

31 is correct....a while back my brother bought an old pickup that had sat for 16 years, after draining the tank, carb and blowing out the fuel lines we loaded it with fresh gas and tried to start it....no spark and no go.
    We had a known good spare coil and tried it, still no spark.
    So we quit messing around went all the way points, cap, rotor, condenser, plugs, and wires, Fired right up.

Mister E. likes this.
  18. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok everybody, I'm back at it today. I just bought new points and condenser. Rather than picking used parts, I want to guarantee that I get her running with good parts. So here goes everything, I'm praying this works and we get spark and a start today!

Will post later today/tonight to let you all know how goes.

19. Budget36

Budget36

I didn't see it mentioned (or I missed it), but you have to set the point gap properly. .016 sticks in my mind for new points for that engine. Look at your manual to verify.

Mister E. likes this.
  20. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok I will check once I get set up at the yard and have a look at the new ones compared to the ones currently on the engine.
    Thank you

21. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

I know this will sound dumb, sorry. What side does the coil condenser attach?
    I believe the positive terminal on the coil but if I am wrong then please excuse My ignorance

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is a pic. looks like the plus side original engines 3.jpg

Mister E. likes this.
  23. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Thanks.

Before I install anything I AM getting power now to the distributor.. But the light on the tester stays on even when the points close. What now??

24. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

Ok here's what I got so far.. Pics with test light .. Lights up on both positive and negative but NOT center. STILL no spark.

25. Mister E.

Mister E.
    from USA

26. Budget36

Budget36

the condenser bolt into the distributor. Are you asking which side of the coil goes to the distributor? that would be the - side.

rfraze likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

54vicky likes this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

That's a good way to kill that test light. You're going to get 20,000 volts out of there if it fires-coil wire hole.

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. You should have positive on both sides of the coil with the points closed.

Your saying you still have no spark.

Try wiring your coil instead of off the ign switch go directly to your battery and try.

What does your cap and rotor look like?
    Remember this is the path the spark had to take from coil to wires to plugs.

How are you checking for spark?
    Usually I stick a spark plug or screwdriver in the end and lay it close to steel and see how fat a gap the spark can jump.a test light will show you nothing and quite possibly shit the bed looking for coil secondary voltage (12v compared to 20,000 !!)

Is the distributor rotor even turning?

Did you replace the condenser ?