Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do you Know When to call it Quits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4tford, Apr 7, 2018.

1. sololobo

sololobo

hitting 75 on June 29th and still in the game. I get discouraged with health issues etc, but every time in get in my 66 Chevy truck and go for a drive it all seems right. I have some great guys who help me with mechanical issues and other tasks, I will go down swingin. Hang in there my brother, you have so many friends right here that care.

4tford likes this.
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 75 I've considered calling it quits a few times in the past few years. Still at it and have another 40 coupe in the works. Also just wired two drag cars for friends. I always say "well,this is probably the last one" but that was 4 cars ago. Hope I'm good for a few more. Beats TV and puttering around the house.

4tford likes this.
  3. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

When they close the lid

ct1932ford, 4tford and papajohn like this.
  4. mountainman2

mountainman2

Have had passing thoughts about calling it quits on the building cars and just maintain the daily transportation. Then, I think about all the relatives I have/had that made into their 90's. What would I do to pass the time for the next 20 years?:(

4tford and Montana1 like this.
  5. Lost my wife when I was 54- did not take any advice- sold- threw out or gave away everything- sold our home of 34 years in 8 days- bought a new Corvette and took a few months long trip all around the USA- but what I did may not for everyone- probably not-

4tford likes this.
  6. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

First off , sorry for your loss.
    I took a fabrication class taught by Gene Winfield. He was 89 at the time. Everybody had the same question for him, how do you keep going? In talking to Gene he shared that he was battling with the city to be able to put up another 2400 square foot building on his property. That's when it hit me. Gene was worried about living, not dying.
    I say don't sell anything yet, give yourself some time. Start a new project! Maybe something simple like converting your race car to a street car and leave the lettering, etc, as raced. I race and it's getting to be a pain in the ass to load the trailer and deal with all the other crap associated with racing. Good luck!

4tford likes this.
  7. True about living, I've come so close to dying that I feel that every day is a fuck you to the reaper. I even have a reaper tattoo on me holding a human heart.
    reaper.jpg

4tford likes this.
  8. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Thought I was done in 2005...sold my '34 PU.
    PIC00018.jpg

I'm turning 79 this month and look what I'm building now.
    IMG_1125.JPG

bobss396, Stock Racer and 4tford like this.
  9. I'm 77 ,just retired now I've got time to make some improvements on the 37 . Bad back and knee but I keep going , If I give up I'll never forgive myself ! Please don't give up !

4tford likes this.
  10. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Facebook and alot of the local car community.I call quits to both.I,ll keep doing my own thing till its not fun anymore. Sort of like the two things mentioned. The world is in trouble

4tford and bobss396 like this.
  11. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yup, you can't beat the reaper but you can make the bastard work for it.

4tford and bobss396 like this.