Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Identify manual 3-speed transmission, e-brake on the rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G-son, Apr 14, 2018.

1. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

A relative got hold of this transmission the other day. Appears to be a 3-speed. Was told it's american, possibly mopar, but I got the impression that was mostly guessing. Anyway, the e-brake on the transmission makes me think it's relatively old, and that in turn made me think someone in here might recognize it, or at least have some information that may be useful for research. So far I've googled the casting numbers, and found absolutely nothing.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chrysler did use a hand brake on the transmission but so did others. That is a very old transmission, probably 1920s.

These guys could tell you the answer, they are the experts at that kind of thing. The AACA Forum
    AACA Forums

G-son likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

G-son likes this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks too light for a truck. Most cars abandoned the hand brake in the middle of the floor by the mid 30s and the floor shift by 1939.

G-son likes this.

5. gatz

gatz

I was going to suggest International Harvester PU, but didn't really find anything that matched.

Just now ran across a CL ad for a '47 Dodge WD21 PU for sale.
    This is what the xmsn looks like in it....

[​IMG]

As per Rusty, the OP's does look light for truck use. And this one has a larger although narrower brake drum; suitable for trucks

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

There’s a 31 Plymouth trans in the parts for sake that looks similar, but not exactly, Bones

7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

It seems they could! After a number of suggestions, I got this reply:

I found pictures of this 1928 Dodge Brothers 128, the interior pic shows the brake lever and gear stick match, and the third picture from the end shows the gearbox from bottom right side, and everything seems to match up!

https://inventory.chicagocarclub.com/vehicles/132/1928-dodge-brothers-128

Rusty O'Toole and firstinsteele like this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

So I wasn't far wrong lol. Glad you got that cleared up. Now that you know what it is what are you planning to do with it?

9. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Well, it isn't mine, I'm just doing the research. I'm guessing the demand for a 90 year old Dodge gearbox isn't very high here in Sweden (and the cost of shipping it anywhere would be a nightmare), but sooner or later someone might need it. Until then, It'll be one of those things that is fun to have because... well, when did you see another one?

town sedan likes this.