Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods small headlights?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy65, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Andy65

Andy65

Hello all- anyone know if there is a product out there that is a headlight but in a really small package? more similar to a fog light size. Im trying to mount headlights on a old asphalt modified to make it street legal but dont want a traditional 7" headlight to take the look away from the stock car. Thank you!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys used to run the hi/low beam out of round quad lights that are 5-1/2? in small light buckets. I think they snagged tractor or dune buggy housings to do it. Or Harley Chopper lights. Put Bates style 5.5 inch headlight in an Ebay search. They have some complete lights for 20 bucks a pop. Several choices come up

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

There are some tractor lights too that are smaller than 7"

4. Go with the 5.25" low/high beam unit from a quad light set. As noted, this size is used on a lot of vehicles. There's smaller units out there, but the light output is also less, not to mention you'll have issues finding replacement lamps easily. The one caution I'll note is if using motorcycle housings, DON'T use the bike lamp/lens assemblies. These have a different low-beam cut-off and will tend to blind oncoming traffic, as well as having a limited light output. I'll swap these for car units for better lighting, even on my bikes. IMO Cibie has the best lens assemblies in this size.

5. My thoughts exactly,If I remember correctly the old 8N ford tractor lights are 4 ". HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Brent-, patmanta, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Have a pair of 5 1/4" ones that were on my T bucket. Chrome shell is about 6" diameter. Can take pics if your interested.

7. Actually a Cibi round fog lamp with a quad headlight high/low halogen conversion would work like a champ. You can get some pretty stout H4 bulbs.

We used to use a fog light housing ( even on our bikes) with an aircraft landing light or a pencil beam. But you only get one light that way and have to adjust it accordingly.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I’ve seen guys use the small rectangular lights for this. The shape is easier to hide in bodywork and bumper bars.
    SPark

9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Tractor light or cheapo MC lights would be my go-to.

10. Andy65

Andy65

great ideas! thank you- im headed to google to look what a cibi is!

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have tractor lights on my snowblower. I wouldn’t use those on anything I was going to drive on the road.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I don't know where you live, but here in Kalifornia just any old light won't necessarily be legal.