Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Frank Mack Roadster: Preserved Perfection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree 100% there. It isn't the amount that Bruce paid for the car it is the individual that took advantage of Frank knowing that he could resell the car for many many times what he bought it from Frank for.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Just plain wicked!!!!!:cool:

3. rockfish

rockfish

Gorgeous car and it's great that it stayed with the builder as long as it did. I think it ultimately found a great home with Bruce Meyer. Too bad about what sounds like Frank getting taken advantage of by a shady middle man. Obviously friends and family were not active in looking after Frank's best interest in his later years.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,.... This has been interesting,... Some info good.. some not. The way Franks car changed hands Is a story I might give the details to someday...

Either way, Frank was delighted Bruce ended up with his Roadster. As it turns out the "middle man" died in a Helicopter Crash 10 years ago... I have had my hands all over this car back in the day. Very few Hot Rods back in the day... (sometimes even now) were built as well as this Roadster... Frank use to say "when you build something, build it to last 100 years.. "

I still own some of the jigs Frank built to make some of the parts for the roadster.. and before we lost him,.. He gave me his "Circle of Champions" jacket, I miss his whit & wisdom, His vast knowledge, and solid advice (on everything but love & women) .

If you do a search, You'll find a lot of stuff I posted on Franks Roadster over the years... Including construction pictures....

randombob, -Brent-, hotcoupe and 7 others like this.
  5. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Just came across this picture of Frank building the car in an old Hot Rod book.
    20180406_065539.jpg

Tim, -Brent-, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Just a shout-out for Bruce Meyer. Thanks to him, I've been able to see many of my favorite cars in person. There's a bunch that I would have only seen in photos. Hot rodders are probably the most ingenious hobbiests in the world. Some people collect stamps, others play bingo. Hot rodders make frames, build engines, solve complicated mechanical problems and such. Thank goodness the Peterson Museum and Bruce Meyer (among many others who deserve mention) are there to preserve these pieces of art and provide a lasting tribute to their builders.

7. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Well said. Bruce Meyer is a real car guy, it does not matter what kind of vehicle he loves them all. Through out the years I have seen many of his cars when they were on display to the Peterson. I truly believe he collects significant vehicles for their history and to preserve them, not for possibly of a profit.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Okie Pete like this.
  8. I'm just glad this piece of HOT ROD history is still around to see and enjoy.. Everything about this HOT ROD is so right... Thank you Frank were ever you are now, we still enjoy it !

Stogy and Okie Pete like this.
  9. John Tracz

John Tracz

Hello guy and gals, I am so pleased that you all love my grandpa's car. (Frank mack Roadster) I have been keeping up with the car for years now and just found this group. My grandpa was amazing mechanic and great grandpa. I remember the days working at his house pulling weeds and sitting in all the cars, little did I know I was playing inside a car of history. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Tim, -Brent-, hotcoupe and 10 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome John...This is one of those things that makes this place a little more special and if you like Old Hotrods Like your Grandpas please look around a bit, take lots of time and enjoy...

Hamber @Harms Way has a Huge interest in this Hotrod and of Course your Late Grandpa so I did a search and found a number of threads he posted that you can search at your leisure at the link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/211044789/?q=frank+mack&o=relevance&c[user][0]=9935

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Cyclone Kevin and cactus1 like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. John Tracz

John Tracz

Alright thanks, I will definitely take a look, it's always good to see people that love my grandpas work

Nobey, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  13. John Tracz

John Tracz

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome...John I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you may have met Hamber Harms Way...;)

15. John Tracz

John Tracz

I could have but I was probably around 11 years old back then. Lol

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems he was a friend of your Grandpa's perhaps right until he left us...

I hope you find further inspiration here and begin a project of your own...

Any favorite Hotrods that you could see yourself in? The T Roadsters are a great base for a Hotrod and they are somewhat cheaper than the 32's and 34's to secure and build...This is a vintage site focusing on 65 and older so we really Hold Vintage Hotrods as Your Grandpas as Cornerstones in the Foundation...

Cyclone Kevin and cactus1 like this.
  17. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Again , Only on the Hamb . Welcome John

Cyclone Kevin, cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  18. John Tracz

John Tracz

Yeah maybe someday but I am no Grandpa Frank, he was a mastermind with cars. I am currently rebuilding my dad's jeep wrangler.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither am I but I saved my pennies and now I have a Hotrod to play around in...give it some thought theres actually an incredible amount of directions you can choose from and your still a Young Fella so lots of time to jump on the bandwagon...;)

Did your Grandpa give you any pictures of his Roadster or any of his friends Hotrods or Customs?

Cyclone Kevin and harpo1313 like this.
  20. John Tracz

John Tracz

Yes, we have pictures of us playing in the roadster and yes maybe someday, I will build my own roadster.

Tim, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shared Historic pics of Hotrods are a huge part of the ambience of this incredible resource The Hamb...

When they have a connection to the people in them well that just ups the value of the History...

If you care to share we are all eyes and your Grandpas Hotrod is a bit of a Holy Grail around here but I'll bet he had some really cool friends with additionally cool Hotrods and maybe even Customs...thanks for chiming in...this Thread just took on a new level of interesting...;)

Some other threads of interest...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1940s-period-correct-hot-rods.422177/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1950s-period-correct-hot-rods.430894/

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  22. Your Grandpa’s car was legendary around the Pontiac / North Oakland County area..his and Tommy Fosters car were very great roadsters to come from the Detroit area..welcome to the HAMB..

23. This car has to be , one of The Best Track-Nose 27s ever .
    Such a perfect stance and finish .

Stogy likes this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A bump to the top and a question if anyone has photos of the chassis with out the body?

Just curious how he did it :)

Stogy likes this.
  25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

jebbesen posted a picture of the front in post #35
    I read somewhere, probably HRM, by Gray Baskerville?
    that driving it was the most bone jarring event he had ever experienced..

Stogy likes this.
  26. 42merc

42merc

In post 35, the engine pictured is a 60 horse V8. Obviously changed at a later date.