Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Help me find a thieving, no good, dirty bastard from Australia...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rooman

rooman

So you would be quite happy to put time, skill and effort into something and then allow someone else to profit from your work? That is why the system of patents and trademarks exists--to stop the lazy or unethical from getting a free ride.
    The guy in question may be clueless but understanding the laws is part of being in business.

Roo

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Have you read the whole topic ? This fellow has been seen multiple times at many events.

uncle buck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

So what you are saying you would buy a Chinese copied part over a US made part!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Hey donuts I agree with you to a point but then where does it stop?

I know the swap meets up here the guys selling decals and stickers are busy and make some good cake at 2-10 bucks a sticky.

While I agree sometimes it’s just not worth the effort and anger involved in chasing someone down, but if he is breaking the law then he needs to be informed if nothing else.
    If after being informed of his illegal business and if he keeps going without changing anything or making himself legal then he opens the door the everything the legal system can throw his way.

I have a friend that works at a very well known custom bike shop in Toronto and they make frames for there customers, I asked him once why he doesn’t file for a patent ? He told me why bother.... all some one had to do is change a few welds a placement of a bracket or a gusset and it doesn’t meet the patent and I’m sol so why bother, yeah I could take them to court but for what?
    I also know shops that had jaguar or vw logos on the shop signs and got legal letter for the logos to Ben removed.
    Pick the batttles you beleave in and go!

I’m not a theif nor am I creative so i got nothing to worry about on either end !!

I’m thinking RYAN has enough info to contact This bum, anything come of it ?

5. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Yeah your right, where does it stop..
    I just see guys at swapmeets selling for example Buick stickers and I know they don't run it through Buick. I guess a legal letter would be good to scare him.

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Everything in the USA is Chinese and Mexican anyway. I go to the parts store and buy a.c. Delco and it says made in China on the box. My phone, shirt, pants, boxers, socks and even my red wing boots are Chinese. The only thing made in the USA in my house is my Toms toothpaste, and yes if the Chinese had a pair of Packard Tail lights call me Mr Wong cuz I dont want to be right'

7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

And just to be clear I love America and am the most patriotic person I know.

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

A crook is a crook and should be stopped, not let go because some feel he is small potatoes and isn't really hurting anyone too bad :confused: BS he is a thief the same as if he went thru your house and took everything that is in it!

9. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

So if you had the chance to buy a US made Auto Part you would still buy the Chinese (or Mexican) Copy ahead of the US made Auto Part!

chryslerfan55 and biggeorge like this.
  10. I think you guys are getting a little off topic with the US versus foreign made debate. It's not really a comparison to this scenario.
    I would suggest, a better example is this:

@Donuts & Peelouts Let's say you have good credit. An identity thief uses your name and credit to apply for a credit card for himself. He uses the credit card regularly and actually makes the payments on the things that he buys. You're not affected at all because he's making the payments. However, that credit card that he is using, is in your name. Your name and credit 'earned' that credit card, but the thief is just reaping the benefit.
    Would you let him continue to use it, because he's really not affecting you right now?

chryslerfan55, trollst and hrm2k like this.
  11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This explains why McDonalds have only trademarked "Maccas" in Australia [55% of Aussies refer to the franchise by the slang term]

mario711 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Having made Ryan aware of this I am now well aware that many things are in place for the fellow making the stickers to be advised he is in the wrong.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Don't forget, he also put that image large scale on the side of his trailer too. So now he has made it more than about just the stickers.

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

In your example I would not let him continue to use it. And Ryan should not let him continue to use it either. Ok, let's raise the torches!!!!
    In my original post I just wanted the Boss man to not worry because I have been in situations where I have been chasing the people down that did me wrong, and in the end I had nothing to show for it but wasted days full of anger, and I regretted that.

And to @HOTFR8, USA ALL THE WAY!

15. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I do believe this topic should be closed. It has been dealt with. Ryan has acted and from what I know another company is now looking at taking action as well.

:)

16. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to study up a little more on copyright law. If you do not "defend" your copyrighted material against plagiarism, you can lose your right to claim the material as yours. This is why the major car companies will still hammer down on someone producing parts, especially badges and branding, for models they haven't produced in decades.

17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Don't spoil our fun!!
    Nothing can be more braver than an internet lynch mob on the rampage.

What else can we do...........build hotrods in our spare time??

TagMan, good captian, fauj and 2 others like this.
  18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

There is no fun in this. He has been caught out by a bigger firm and what what I am told has been sent a legal letter advising him to stop. Nothing more to see or do here unless he is seen out and about doing the same thing.

19. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

The problem with these letters is that it costs money to have an attorney to send them, but it doesn't bring back any return money for the damages that are still done, and they still profited from their misdeeds. One previous poster on this thread said it cost him almost $1000 to send one of these letters. Maybe he'll learn his lesson.

20. 5window

5window

Nothing new here. Until Ryan has more to post we should just move on.

21. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Ryan may not have posted his response here but I know for a fact Ryan contacted the fellow and the response was a no care attitude. I doubt he will have the same no care attitude when the other company looking into him takes action as I also know they are seriously looking at legal action. A cease and desist letter from a big companies legal firm should make him sit up and think about what he has done. If not and he continues he will not like the procedure.

22. More than likely it will stop him form producing the stickers for that one company and nothing else.

23. BJR

BJR

It would be a shame if his trailer caught fire..... just saying.

24. 5window

5window

Not a very appropriate response for the crime of reproducing decals and stickers. Particularly on Easter?

Ned Ludd likes this.
  25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

5 window, have you looked at your avatar? Shame on you especially today. ;)

26. BJR

BJR

It's also April Fools Day!

27. If legal warnings go unheeded, the old mafia trick of repositioning knee caps with a baseball bat, will have a greater impact on his attitude than a burned trailer. ( and a lot harder to recover from financially)
    No, I am not nice to thieves on either April fools day or Easter!

28. 5window

5window

True, if we're kidding

29. 5window

5window

My avatar is a cartoon cel that was done in 1943 for my dad's F6F carrier based fighter. He, and many others, are the reason we can discuss things freely on the HAMB today. It doesn't mean I favor a violent response to every situation. And, it is staying up 24/7/365. Thank you very much. :)

61Cruiser likes this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

So you take it down on Feb. 29th? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.