Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Parking in the Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike in tucson, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent a number of very interesting parking hours at Lake Belton in 1969. You will never know how much noise an armadillo can make until it strolls down the hill, past your car to the lake and back up the hill after getting a drink right past the car where we were far less than clothed.
    The old low water crossing bridge in Crawford Park in Crawford Texas wasn't bad in 1969 either, you could still drive across it then but brush had grown up around it enough to make it a nice hidden spot to park on the bridge and skinny dip if you wanted to. We went back to check it out a few years ago but you can't drive down to it anymore. If memory serves right we even went out there a few times after we were married. There were some spots between McGregor and Crawford that you could pull in a driveway to a field across the railroad tracks and back in just on the other side of the fence where the brush alongside the fence kept you out of sight from the road. The train lights would get hell for bright when the train came by though.
    My son and his galfriend live in her folks old house on a canal bank in the middle of an orchard and vinyard. When her dad still got around good he had a bit of an wicked sense of humor and he was known to scoop dead skunks up off the road and pitch them out at a little pull off at the end of his field where kids and some not all that young liked to go park. The told of seeing cars go by at night, stop down at that spot and then fire up and take off not long after.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

That’s it. The “Out of limits”tune was kind of catchy. Lots of guitars. Thanks for posting @Stogy. Cars-Music and memories.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome Mercman. I listened to the whole album while working on the submarine or is that tank racing composition back a few posts. Little Twilight Zone in there and maybe even tinges of Link Wray...

5. zzford

zzford

The local hospital parking lot was our place to go.

Stogy likes this.
  6. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

My buddy had a 59 Ford that was white top over black. I decided a major yuk-yuk would be if I stuck a condom (we never called them condoms back then) on the passenger door late one night.....I wanted to use some stickup that wasn't the real thing...I think I used some sticky food item. I snuck up to his car and pasted the condom on the door....har-har. I figured the next day, we would have a major laugh. Unfortunately, his dad went outside
    before my buddy.....and saw the "evidence" on the door. His parents were really straight arrow folks...my buddy lost his car for a month. I never told him who did it.

Stogy likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Used to park under the Rt91 overpasses [north and south] in Cromwell..Spots were well used; the town put trash barrels there! Very rare did I meet up with another car or cops for that matter..One night someone drove by at least a dozen times fast [round the block] and a little toot of the horn, there was three other "spots" so just being a pain we guessed..I told my buddy of the spot..I guess he thought under the bridges wasn't as good as between the bridges so backed off the road feeling cozy between them but into a swampy area..Got stuck, had to walk up the street to a house to call home for his father to come and pull him out..As he got out of the car his father called him "numbnuts" and he said they sure are..

8. A long story: chapter one
    Acton, Massachusetts, late Nov., 1964. Had my first brand new car. A 1964 Galaxie 500 convertible. I had a new girlfriend (a senior in HS) I had been dating for a few weeks, and one weeknight I picked her up after work just to go out for a ride. After a while, she started asking me about my old girlfiend I had dated all through high school. She was wondering what happened with us since everyone figured we'd get married for sure, and she even told me most figured she'd end up pregnant before she graduated. I kind of laughed and told her that would have been difficult since we never "went all the way" (that's what we called it back then). She was in disbelief, and after a long silence, asked if that meant I was still a virgin, lol. I responded that technically, yes, I was.
    Next night, on the telephone, she said she had thought alot about what I told her, and told me we "needed to do something about that", are we going out this weekend? (I'm gonna say no???).
    We lived in a small town where everybody knew each other, so she told me I had to find a parking spot where we would not get caught. My HS graduation party earlier that year was at a cabin on a small lake about 10 miles out of town. All summer cottages that would be all closed up for the winter. Perfect spot, and that's where we went straight to Friday night. I pulled up to a huge pine tree on the slope heading down to the lake. After 3 or 4 hours of paradise by the dashboard lights (love that term, hrp), we realized we were going to be late getting her home. I started the car, put it reverse, and she wouldn't budge an inch. I got out to look and discovered I had parked on a slope that was a sheer sheet of ice covered with pine needles. Tried everythig to get it moving, we finally decided we had to walk out. The cabin was on a dirt driveway about a mile and a half off the paved road, and all uphill out of the lake. It was getting really cold and all we had were light jackets. Once we got to the paved road, it was after 1 am, and she was suppose to be home at midnight. I remembered passing a few houses a mile or so up the road, so we decided to walk there. It started freezing rain and after about 20 minutes, the road was sheer black ice, so we had to walk on the side because the road was too slippery to walk on.
    We finally arrived at the first house, it was after 2 am and knocked on the door (you could actually do that back in the 60's countryside). A woman's voice asked what we wanted and we told her our car was stuck at the lake, could we use her phone. She totally shocked us when she said no, please go away. We left and walked to the next house, another quarter of a mile, still freezing rain. We knocked on their door, and a nice old couple answered. They said of course, come in and sit by the fire. She made us hot chocolate while my girlfriend called her mom.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. chapter two:
    I love her mom and dad to this day.
    her mom said not to call my mother to come get us, she was up anyway (waiting for her daughter to come in), and my mother was probably asleep. I warned her about the black ice, but she said no matter, and took the directions. It was almost an hour before she arrived, and we were starting to worry about her, but she just had to drive super slow because of the ice. She was driving a green 54 Ford 2 dr sedan I remember
    Next morning: my mom wakes me up for work and asked where my new car was. I told her it was stuck, and I was going to get some of the guys to help me get it. She said well, you'd better look out the window. SHIT!!! about a foot or more of heavy wet snow. My new convertible was on a dirt road that no tow truck is going to fit, and all uphill getting out.
    I worked at a hardware store, and had to work that morning. After thinking about it, I decided, that Massachusetts being how it is, there was no telling when the snow would melt enough to get my car out. I called my girlfriend and told her I was going to bring a tarp and some rope home from work and go cover up my car........maybe for the winter!
    She called back and told me her dad wanted to go try and get it out when he got finished up working, it would be a shame to leave that beautiful car there. He insisted we could do it, at least worth a try. So, my girlfriend, her dad and I headed there in his pickup. Pails of sand, shovels, lanterns, tow rope. We get to the point on the paved road where the dirt road was, along with several other driveways. Ned gets out and looks downhill at the road, and says "that's where your car is?" My truck ain't going to make it down there, we'd better walk down. I tell him it's over a mile, he says we'd better get started, it's getting dark.

10. chapter 3
    It was dark by the time we got to the car. btw, I was a 125 lb, 5'6" guy back then, her dad 6'4" 250# of muscle from working as a roofer all his life. He told her to get in the car and try to back it up into a level area while we pushed it away from the tree. She was doing a horible job trying to manage the stick shift, so finally he told me to get in the car. We had both lanterns in the car with us now. Ned managed to push the car uphill into the level area so we could get a head start before heading uphill. We got the car moving forward pretty well with Ned pushing, and it dawned on me I had to stop to let him in the car. When he saw my brake lights, he hollered "no, keep going". Somehow we made it all the way up to the paved road, where her mother and brother-in-law were waiting. They saw Ned's truck, but didn't know which dirt road we were on, so they just waited. We stopped and got out, and her mom said "where's Ned?".
    I pointed "down there, with no lantern". I started walking down to meet him, and we met about half way. When we finally got back to the top and we talked for a few minutes, he called me over away from the others. My heart was in my throat. 6'4" Ned looked down at little me, and said "if you ever take my daughter down there again, ....................make damn sure you've got a shovel and a bucket of sand.
    I love her mom and dad.
    A week later her mom and dad presented me with a trophy for finding the best parking spot of all their three daughter's boyfriends. It seems they all got stuck parking somewhere and her dad got them out.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  11. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gees let his fingers rest some...:D.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

While doing some office work this evening, it dawned on me that this was is not the Telstar Album. That being said, it’s all good. The 60’s was a good time for album covers, music for Young Lovers, Car tunes, we even had stuff like “the sounds of the Big Drags”. & “The little old Lady from Pasadena” Got to listen to a lot of it tonight. Thanks @Stogy for the time you spent to set that post up.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have another album with a Hotrod on the Cover?...and by the way that Hotrod is still around I believe. That Band really was top notch...they had that sound nailed to a T...:confused::D

@mercman@bulldog what tune did The Ventures do that you were thinking of by name?

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life without a Woodie is like a Blanket without a Sweetie on it...:D

the-ventures-walkdont-run-cd.jpg
    Credit to Photographer, Owner

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Chavezk21 like this.
  16. Plenty of fun and games..... But not so fun when your rounding third base, widow's are fogged up beyond and cant see out, or where the hell you are, and the MAN'S flashlight lightly taps on the drivers window......
    Lot's O 'splaining to do....... But- I'm sure the 5 -OH got a good laugh......
    Would I do it today, as in right now= Hell Yes!

17. Deuces

Deuces

My other favorite is "Brave Strangers" :)

18. Deuces

Deuces

Them were the best!!!! :)

19. billsat

billsat

I used to work with a guy who was a former NC Highway Patrolman. He had some great trooper stories, but his best tale was about an older trooper who had turned down repeated offers for a desk job in order to stay on the road. According to Mel this older trooper liked to sneak up on young people parked in remote areas hoping to catch them in the act. When he made a successful interception he would tell the victims that by law he had to either arrest them or marry them on the spot, and he, being an officer of the law, would perform the ceremony. Mel insists that there are still couples in Stokes County, NC who are still living together under the assumption that they're legally married.

20. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

“Telstar.”They were in tune with the NASA program, so they recorded Telstar. Out of Limits was one of the A’ tunes that was recorded on the album that you posted. I always thought that they made some pretty good Driving Music. Lou

There you go @Stogy. “Walk don’t Run” was the album with Telstar on it. Apache was another good tune.
    Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B. Pipeline was an “A” tune also.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2018
  21. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

That’s funny!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Deuces

Deuces

Did it once in a soy bean field very near to Henry Ford's birth place..... Under the stars and on a blanket....:cool::rolleyes:

23. Terrible80

Terrible80

Whatever you do don't eat jalapeños and lick anything sensitive. She slid across the seat , out the door and did some strange gymnastics.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Deuces

Deuces

25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This must be the incident when someone way back started the "Pictures or it didn't happen" refrain.

26. Terrible80

Terrible80

Way before cell phone cameras.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

a formal gown and a white jacket? parking after the prom must have been in the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  29. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

The old Flemington Speedway in NJ, every saturday nigh either during a rain dealy or intermission in the parking off the backstretch!

30. weathrmn

weathrmn

Yeah, long intermissions and the field across Hwy. 31. Keeping it between the boards.
    Best times when the square was dirt