Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53 ford radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slapstick, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Slapstick

Slapstick

It's been a long time since I've been on here. Starting a new project. I have a 53 Ford that I'm putting in a small block Chevy with turbo 350. Looking to see if anybody has had any luck installing a different radiator that would fit this application? I've been looking around. I could not find anything. I figured this would be the place to go. Any input appreciated. Thank you

2. Slapstick

Slapstick

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Much as I hate to see you put a Chevy in a '53 Ford when a SBF fits so nice here you go This is also used when putting a SBF with early short water pump in these cars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1949-1...ash=item236f4499cd:g:sbEAAOSwTZ1XoFSJ&vxp=mtr

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Hope you plan on using the earlier Chevy short water pump and matching pulleys you'll need it for radiator clearance too.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. Should have left well enough alone or just bought a 53 chevie.

Texas Webb likes this.
  7. Any pu$$y can put a Ford engine in a Ford. Do some measuring and look at the Champion Radiator site. I would look at applications like a '65 Nova. The one in my '59 Ford (with a 355 SBC..) is for a '65 Chevy Impala. I just had to drill 2 extra holes in the mounting flanges. There is a Champion radiator seller on eBay, radiators4less and they have more information than the Champion site, plus free shipping.

8. Slapstick

Slapstick

thank you for information

9. k9racer

k9racer

If you still have the orignal radiator carry it to a radiator shop. Have them close off a top and bottom hose inlet out let and you are ready to go. You will need to drop the center of the drag link to install the chev eng. Also you have 2 choices notch frame for the fuel pump or install a electric unit. Their have thousands of chevy engines installed in the 49 to 53 ford chassis. years ago it was very popular.

10. phat rat

phat rat

Take the measurements of the opening and go on line and find whats really close. I think, not sure, I used a 65 Chevy for the 52 I had with a 350 in it

11. Slapstick

Slapstick

I got the car with the body,upholstered seats,radiator support and the frame already had a mustang 2 style front end installed.and I already had a good 305 with turbo 350 laying around.so luckily I have the radiator support.i start looking around.ill post pictures up this weekend. thanks

12. A '54-'56 Ford V8 or 6 cylinder radiator or a '52-'53 6 cylinder radiator should be an easy swap. Or you can close off the extra outlets if your radiator is good. I found a NOS '38-'39 big truck radiator that I put in my '38 pickup, just closed off the extra outlets with expandable freeze plugs.