Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical new 94's from China

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadbeat, Feb 7, 2018.

1. deadbeat

deadbeat

Just wondering if anyone has used them?
    Cheers

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Or the "Holley" copy, 4 barrel carbs from China. They are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a true Holley.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

deadbeat likes this.
  3. They are not known for taking something and making it better. I would apply that general principal.

4. deadbeat

deadbeat

Totally understand X38. But for $250 NZD they sure look good. It arrived today so I will put it on and see how we go 2018-02-08 19.46.21.jpg 2018-02-08 19.46.21.jpg 2018-02-08 19.46.50.jpg

5. Ah, so you've already bought one. Well, fingers crossed.;)

deadbeat, dana barlow and Clay Belt like this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was amazed when I was surfing eBay and ran across Rochester 2GC copies for about what I have to pay for a good small base core. Too bad that they only make the large base version. For the price, I'd have to try one if they were small base.

deadbeat likes this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

I’m waiting for the aluminum flathead they’re getting ready to release! :)

8. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Hadn’t heard about these but I’m certainly curious. Where are they sold?

deadbeat likes this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Interesting. The finish sure looks good.

deadbeat likes this.
  10. khead47

khead47

Looks to me like the left screw closest to camera holding on the air horn is cocked, like it was not tapped square. That or is not tight.

nunattax, Mark Hinds and Blue One like this.
  11. zzford

zzford

Funny, how when ever the "made in China" note comes up, Suspicions about quality arise. Wonder why?

12. Ebay description for one of them:
    "Fit for many editions engines , maybe need modify for some engines , and suggest the tech man to install and adjust it"
    gotta love the way they talk; maybe they should at least try to say it in American:eek:

13. oj

oj

Do they have cast iron throttle bases like the original or is it cast aluminum? There was a very good reason the original were cast iron.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  14. BJR

BJR

It will be interesting to here how well they work. Please report back with your results.

15. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Hope there not like the Chinese that fail when you least expect it. :eek:

16. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Oj, what was the reason? Curious minds want to know.

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You can get a 'Made in America" one right now,,,

biggeorge likes this.
  18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I had those screws on the carb of an ATV I used to race. First thing you need to do is replace them or when you go to work on it they will remind you of trying to put a screwdriver in butter.
    Aside from that its not a terrible looking casting.
    Wonder how close it is to original. Maybe use the guts to make an old core work?

deadbeat likes this.
  19. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

It also looks like the driver socket is stripped...

20. A Boner

A Boner

The economy in China isn't doing very well. It would be a good time to purchase a carb or three, before they are forced to layoff the whole 2nd grade.

21. Latigo

Latigo

Remember when "made in Japan" was a joke?
    China still has a ways to go. But as long as we keep buying it, they'll keep making it.

LTKMUNN and 1927graham like this.
  22. belair

belair

They save all the quality work, parts and engineering for their nukes, Air Force and navy.

LTKMUNN likes this.
  23. oj

oj

Heat. The cast iron base wouldn't conduct the heat into the bowl area causing the fuel to percolate like in an Edelbrock 4bbl carb.

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

I bought a Chinese carb for an off topic motorcycle. It was shit. I ended up throwing it away and buying a good used one.

pecker head likes this.
  25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where can you get an aluminum block? I thought that project had stalled out. The guy that makes the Model "A" blocks and heads is thhhiiis close to having an 8BA in production according to posts on the Ford Barn.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  26. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

With the price of good used Holley 94's being so low, I don't know why anyone would take a chance on a Chinese one.

clem, Flathead Dave, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I agree that it looks nice, except for those hideous screws. I wonder if they're the correct thread, or metric?
    Anyhow, try finding good ones from your junk bin. Modern fasteners even sold here are also pretty poor compared to old ones.

In China they're probably still allowed to use coatings like chromate and cadmium, so in that regard might be more authentic than modern US production.

28. Squablow

Squablow

This is my question as well. Good cores are all over the place for $50 each or less. In fact, someone right here on the HAMB posted a picture of 3 matching 94's in a thread asking if they were worth $30 for all 3 and a bunch of people chimed in to say that no, they were not.

I think those people were full of shit, but still, I'm very surprised to know there's a strong enough market that someone would fund a reproduction of these carbs, even as a low-cost import from China.

Clay Belt likes this.
  29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Not only the closet to the camera screw that holds down the air horn, but also the nearest one holding the body to the base. I think that's more the quality control issues they just seem to have. And, they appear to be Torx style screws also, so that's another deviation from stock. Makes you wonder about internal quality. A year or so ago, I almost bought an 850 Chinese Holley, before I realized they were "Holley STYLE", but instead bought a real, but highly modified, AED brand carb. An $800.00 carb. For anyone interested in what a Chinese Holley looks like and costs, see E-Bay item #382330416601 at $204.00 and $15.00 shipping out of Iowa. A true Holly 850 runs $550.00 to $580.00 with factory refurbished ones running around $450.00. Some other aftermarket modified or re-tooled "Holleys" are running in the $450.00 range and up. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

There is another thing to think about, and that is where these products come from, and to what vendors are used to market them, such as The Hoffman Group, and other companies like them. Everyone knows they make things "look good", from making copies of things that already had the R and D, and marketing done before they high-jacked USA products. I know how tempting it is, like I said, I had looked at what I thought was a Holley 4 barrel, until I realized what it really was. There was no way I was going to take a chance, but it is really hard with everything they have out there. The proverbial carrot is danged in front of the horse, but the carrot turns out to be rotten, or a fake carrot, or it makes the horse sick. Just say NO to all this POS, Chinese, crap. JMO.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  30. 1934coupe

1934coupe

And while they save money and support the Chinese economy, they complain that the company they work for laid off it's workers.

Pat