Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is Photobucket starting to wise up???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jan 31, 2018.

1. evintho

evintho

I guess the greedy bastards are hearing the complaints. They sent me an email this morning offering a 'custom tailored plan' for $100 a year. That's still too much but better than $400 per month! One caveat.............the offer expires in a week! I'm considering it but right now my $25 per year PB still works so............I don't know. What'dya guys think?

Here's the email......................

Hello John

We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.
    The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.
    We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days.
    Premium Plan
    Thank you very much for your continued support.

-Sebastian

2. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I got the same offer. But does that mean if you sign up you can now see the pics on the old threads? Or does it mean you can post your photos to new threads? Either way, they can kiss my ass!

3. I'll be damned if those terrorists are getting a chance to hold my pictures hostage. Screw them!

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My feelings are - "Screw 'em" ! They got me once - their fault. A second time would be my fault.

6inarow, Kan Kustom, loudbang and 4 others like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's about double of what I pay for my two "pro" accounts now. It might be worth it on the one account just to not have to go to the album, save a photo to this laptop an then post it somewhere from the laptop.
    I haven't seen the offer yet but haven't checked my email yet today either.

loudbang likes this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I'm on the "screw em" bandwagon. I keep my pictures at home, only used PB to share to a few sites. I just no longer share pics on those sights until they update their formats. PB won't get a dime from me....ever!
    SPark

Kan Kustom, loudbang and oldtymehiboy like this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you can get into your account and save your images NOW is the time to do it. That company is going to tank soon whether people pay the ransom or not and it will all be lost anyway.

EDIT: I just loaded a woekaround plugin for Chrome. Look up "photobucket p500 workaround" and you should find something for whatever browser you're using that hopefully will work. But I still say the countdown is on.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  8. A Boner

A Boner

Buck photofucket.....is what I think. They left a gigantic F'ing scar on a bunch of websites.

9. rjones35

rjones35

I've never used photobucket, is it just for storage and letting you use pics on forums and stuff? I store my photos on Flickr, you get a bunch of space for free. Then I've always used imgur if I needed to add a pic to a forum or whatever. Kind of a pain having to copy the link for every picture, but its not that big of a deal.

10. You are aware that you can host your photos right here on the HAMB correct? I mean hell why not keep it at home?

11. philo426

philo426

Yeah just upload directly from the camera,tablet or phone and you are good to go!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

IMG_20160821_141416.jpg All the pictures I post on here are from my cheesy ass cell phone.... I'm happy....:D:rolleyes:

Not a bad shot taken with a cheesy cell phone.....

13. Is there any reason to use a hosting site such as PhotoBucket when it is so easy to post directly to HAMB? Am I missing something?

Charlie Stephens

14. bct

bct

yep just went to save some pics there and man what a fuckin side show. pop ups... slow.. ads.... I feel like I need a shower after visiting there. happy I have the originals back at the shop. if there are pics you only have there better get em now because I agree with patmanta

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner is right about uploading files here. I have NO idea why anyone would use "Photobucket" or anything like it for any reason. Every Forum I frequent allows the direct upload of all the pictures I want. (There may be a limit they enforce, but I ain't got the time or inclination to even get close to it.) If you're worried about local storage, it's time to upgrade your computer. Our old desktop took a shit summer before last, so I bought a refurbished replacement on Amazon for $115 (including shipping). I hooked up my old keyboard, monitor and printer and away I went. It had the latest version of Windows installed and set up correctly. It even had the Windows security package installed, and I haven't had any viruses (viri?) or any other problems since. Best of all, it's got an umpteen terabyte drive that I've been loading up willy-nilly with out regard for anything, and it's still not even half full. Think about it : if that's what I could get almost two years ago, what's available these days has got to be better. (and probably cheaper).

These "offers" you're talking about are nothing but the death throes of a company whose business plan is no longer relevant (and probably never was). Good riddance, I say!

Kan Kustom, loudbang and crashfarmer like this.
  16. Canuck

Canuck

With the price of a stand alone hard drive being so reasonable, they make a excellent back up for any or all your file and photos. We carry it a couple of steps further and keep the stand alone drive in a fire resistant safe, We also back up to a memory stick and store it in a different building for a remote back up. Back ups are done every couple of months. That gives us back up in case of computer failure or theft, or worse case destruction of our house. All for a couple of hundred $ Cdn.
    Canuck

loudbang and crashfarmer like this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the subject of memory sticks. I needed one for an application I was running. It said I needed a 4 gigabyte memory stick, and all I had was a 32 kilobyte one I had purchased several years ago. I went to the local electronics store and asked them if they had any 4 gigabyte memory sticks. The said they didn't carry them. I was wondering what to do until they said they did have 16 gigabyte sticks (the smallest they had). The price? $4.95.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    clem and loudbang like this.
  18. Yes... If you also want to post links to the same images somewhere other than the HAMB.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  19. 5window

5window

I see no use for Photobucket or anything similar. I like control over my private content. $99 will get you a 4TB external hard drive.

20. belair

belair

In answer to the question in the title of this thread. Who cares, and if they are, it's too little too late.

Kan Kustom, loudbang and TagMan like this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

Why would you even consider giving them another chance to screw you?

Save the pictures on your computer, get a couple memory sticks and transfer your pictures to them. Once the pictures are transferred to the memory stick, you can delete them from your computer if you wish. When you want to post pictures, put the memory stick in your computer and copy the pictures you want to post. Gene

Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  22. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

There's other forums besides the HAMB?:p

loudbang, alanp561 and firstinsteele like this.
  23. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

FYI

There are add-ons that most browsers have that overcome the Photobucket block, and tech savvy forums have overcome the buffoonery by installing their own extension/enabler to allow the pictures to work once more.

On Firefox I use Photobucket Hotlink extension(Tools > Add Ons >put into the search 'photobucket hotlink') reload browser and Photobucket hotlinked pictures work.
    Fairly sure Chrome, Safari, etc have similar available extensions.

Search for work arounds and you should be able to recover your pictures.

24. I may post the same image on HAMB, Fordbarn and The Early V8 Club site. In all cases they come direct from my hard drive to the site where I am posting them. I still don't understand but thanks for your response.

Charlie Stephens

clem likes this.
  25. To get your images to appear on the web, you have to first upload a copy of them to an image hosting service. Photobucket is a public image hosting service. They maintain racks of servers and storage drives where you can upload copies of your images.

In my case, I might upload an image to Photobucket and link that one image to a post on the HAMB and also to the Photography On The Net forums and maybe somewhere else as well. From there I can link my image to the HAMB as well as forums on any website, anywhere, that will allow me to do so.

Ryan also maintains his own servers and allows us to upload copies of our images to them. From there we can link those images to the HAMB, and I would guess to the Ford Barn, the Garage Journal or any other of Ryan's websites as well. But I'm fairly certain that you can't link images on Ryan's servers to other sites that aren't a part of his little corner of the web.

26. squirrel

squirrel

I also have a couple external hard drives. If your data is important to you, then figure out how to keep a few backup copies in safe places.

I don't rely on any third party to store the only copy of any of my image or other data files. And I don't rely on only one storage place for them, either. Two is the minimum, three or four is better. I only say that because I've been using computers for a while, and I know how easy it is for storage devices to quit working suddenly. Memory sticks and hard drives are not like paper...paper lasts for decades if stored with some care. Electronic stuff, not so much.

Kan Kustom, rjones35 and jnaki like this.
  27. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Man, I got hit with functionally disruptive popups when I was trying to LOG IN! I use AdBlock and you can't log in with it active. Then you have to kill a ton of popup ads to get the login part of the screen to work. I haven't seen anything that bad since the 90's.

I will be amazed if they last another 6 months after this cash grab. They are going to take as many of these "bargain" $100/year subscriptions as they can then take the money and run (bankruptcy) leaving their creditors, employees, and customers with nothing.

Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  28. Just use something like this, if need be, and store them yourself :
    http://postimages.org/
    If this one goes away, I'm sure there are others.

29. But you have to reload the pictures at each site. If you use an external server you can just copy and paste everything all at once to whatever site you are using. If you are doing something like a build thread that you are sharing on multiple sites it is far easier to post it on one site then copy all that info and paste it on another site than re do the entire thread on every site you belong to.

30. philo426

philo426

Yes I use Postimage.org great site when the forum does not have the self uploader like the Hamb.I wish All web forums had the self uploader feature.