Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto-Darkening helmet resolution and lag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Jan 19, 2018.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I've been using a conventional welding helmet for around five years, I don't know if I would like starring at an LCD.

My concerns are low resolution and refresh rate as far as lag, has anyone ran into that problem? Is it just the filters themselves that are LCD, or the entire optics?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Blue One and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Step up and buy a good one, not a cheap single function unit. The good ones will offer adjustable lens shades and reaction times. I'll never go back....

3. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

What Crazy Steve said. I have a 3M Speedglass and it reacts fast enough for tig welding and has adjustable shade as well. I have a cheaper helmet that’s ok on mig, but has too much delay for tig. I know that doesn’t sound right, but that’s my experience with it. I’m sure there are other brands besides the 3M that work well also. Your eyes deserve the extra expense.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

bantam likes this.
  4. I don't notice much difference.
    It's not an LCD display like your thinking.
    As far as lag goes, I hear about but have never experienced it with any auto dark hood I've ever used. There is some minor difference in tint colors though.

5. Larryboy?

Larryboy?
    from Isleton,CA

They're not cheap, but the very best in the business is the Jackson True Sight with Balder Technology. I switched last year from a Jackson Boss which was very good, but the True Sight takes it to another level of clarity.

Shakedown St. likes this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have a speedglass also and love it.
    Just wish my eyes were not so old.

7. greybeard360

greybeard360

Once you use an auto darkening helmet you won't go back. You can see what you are doing before striking an arc and you never see a bright flash, it darkens instantly. Your neck will appreciate it too, no more flopping the hood down with you neck. I used a HF hood for several years without any problems with it. Just keep the outer plastic lense clean and replace it on occasion and you are good to go.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warbird1, flatford39 and Truck64 like this.
  8. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Anyone know if they make glass lenses for these?

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I have two Speedglass hoods that cost a lot of money that I have used starting back 20 years for the first one. While visiting my son and setting up a welding station for him ,we went down and bought two Harbor Freight solar powered welding hoods that were on sale. I'm thinking something like $40 ea.with a coupon and I admit that I prefer them over my Speedglass hoods. You can adjust the reaction time and shading settings. I also like the fact that you don't need batteries. As far as performance while welding, there really isn't much difference. The reason I prefer the Harbor Freight hood is that it's a lot more comfortable to wear.

10. Anderson

Anderson

I had used an early 3m speedglass at home forever and it was great. Later I got a used Miller helmet which worked well but ate batteries. I’ve been using a Prostar sold by Praxair (it was a free promo thing through work) and I like it over all my others. I believe it retails for around $150. Great for mig and tig (I weld tig 90% of the time). The headband wore out after about a year but replacements are cheap.

11. I have a few Miller elites, a digital elite and a really nice optrel. They all work great but the optrel is really sweet. It’s very comfortable and performs very well. It cost a bunch but worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Engine man likes this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The first one was a Jackson I got from a friend of mine who was the Jackson rep. about 30 years ago and have steadily upgraded with them ever since. Been using them ever since.

13. I have to use a Speed Glass at work I hate it! I think auto darkened helmets are like a a refrigerator hooked to the iterweb a lot of flash (No pun intended) for no real reason.

14. I've used a speedglass for years and like it alot. Recently picked up an eastwood new one and haven't had a chance to use it yet.

15. Robert, you've got to be that 1%er who doesn't like an auto dark helmet.
    A welding hood is like a mattress in many ways. There are many types and fits. If you're spending 1/3 of your life with it it better be one that suits you and a good one. If you're just throwing half a dozen tacks a day who cares.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

I bought a Firepower el cheapo for 30 bucks. Auto darking adjustable shade and reaction time. wish it had more of a view area but the lenses i can get ones from lowes for 5.00 bucks and cut too fit.

17. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

There seems to be a large price difference between the cheapo Antras, versus the Millar's and Jackson's.

Other than controls, is that the reason you would want a more reputable brand? Clearer picture, and response time.

My eyes are one thing I don't want to mess around with, I would be welding Tig & Mig at the shop.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I purchased a reasonable quality auto-darkening helmet down here many years ago from the local tool store when I bought my MIG. When it started to fail, the auto darkening and timer, it was easy to replace with a new unit which took no time at all. You won't regret a new quality helmet and will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. It's been a long time since I used an old fashioned hand held shield or flip down helmet, over 30yrs+ since I used a stick welder.

19. There's no need for it.

Beau likes this.
  20. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

This is the one review I read that made me bring up the question, but doesn't seem like most are bothered by them so I'll have to try one on for size.

"I had a miller elite for awhile, when it crapped out and i sent it back an old school guy turned me on to the old way. Old school fibre metal hood with a gold fixed lens. Best hood ever. After welding all day long my eyes were tired with the miller. The gold lenses reflect 94% of the light off the ray and are much better for the eyes. Long story short after the new wore off of my fancy camo hood, i prefer the old school plane jain. Something else to think about is my opinion not fact. Nothing is faster than the speed of light, with an auto dark lens whats the chance of you're getting a quick glimpse of the arc without the darkness? Thats what the old schooler told me. Dont know the facts but it makes sense and my eyes feel better at the end of the day".

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  21. Jackson. I'm on my 2nd one.

22. If you're going to use an old school hood, the gold lenses do work pretty well. With that said, I still wouldn't give up my Speedglass...

23. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I bought an auto-dark a couple years ago and really like it..... My biggest problem is I still flip my hood down about half the time . . . Been flipping it down for over 50 years... Old habits are hard to break... :)

LynnW

24. I do the same thing. I got my first auto dark about 15 years ago and still can’t break the habit.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

This thread reminds me to throw the speed glass outside an get some sun, If it ever comes out...

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use an auto-darkening welding hood for the same reason I drive a car and not ride a horse to work - it's better in EVERY way..

49ratfink likes this.
  27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The only problem I've had with mine is the lights above my work bench will trigger it once in a while, but I can change the settings. I would rather have it darken early rather than later.

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

I find that objects sometimes block the light from the arc and the lens lightens up. Don't know if maybe it's my hood or if that's a common problem. Doesn't seem to happen if welding something on the table or pretty much out in the open.

29. 4woody

4woody

Slightly OT, but definitely related: I've got a question about the adjustable reaction time- Why would you want to slow the reaction time? Seems like asap would always be better.

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sporty45 likes this.