Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How not to build a hotrod - My '33 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 28: So what do you do when you've made the roof look pretty good? That's right! Buy a Studebaker!
    It's just an engine swap. It won't take that long. Keep it simple, right? Heck, it's already got a Nova subframe on it.
    Easy!

Step 29: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No.
    I slipped and fell and accidentally took the truck completely apart and built a new chassis for it. Whoopsie. There went another year and a half. It happens sometimes.

Tim, winr, oliver westlund and 21 others like this.
  2. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Is anyone else still having a problem? It's my first time posting in forever, and it's the first time I've used the "Media Gallery Embed." When I first got on the HAMB about 1000 years ago, we had to use Photobucket or whatever

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I use the hamb on my phone so I can't help you there

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  4. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I can only guess that the engine you chose to use you have never seen actually run. Not a problem, of course, you planned on doing a refresh on the engine anyway. Then you will open the engine up to find it has a bad crank and has been bored to the limit and has a groove in one or more cylinder walls. I’m sure replacement blocks and cranks are readily available almost no where. Love the thread. It takes a special person to admit to the same issues we all confront with good humor.

5. belair

belair

Awesome thread. Maybe you can get a deal on Ritalin in bulk. Your perseverance is epic.

brEad, loudbang, jerseyboy and 2 others like this.
  6. mikeyjoe

mikeyjoe
    from DETROIT

Absolutely hilarious .....

7. Damn I wish I could see the pics

8. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Ok, boys and girls, we are pretty close to present day (non) progress

Step 30: Continue putting off making a decklid from scratch.
    The decklid thing still worries me. Not sure how to tackle it. Since I need to make a decklid from scratch, and I want to have a gas filler cap above the decklid, I'll just change the panel above the trunk. Sure. Why not? At least the decklid will be slightly smaller, and that's something.

Should I call it a trunk lid? Decklid sounds right though. I'm going with it.

I guess I worked on the roof somewhere in there too.

Tim, winr, brEad and 9 others like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I just read the entire thread with no pics and I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed reading on the HAMB so much with so little curiosity for the actual build. I went only a few posts before I forgot about not seeing your work. It’s probably the literal laughing out loud I’ve been doing to the point that my chest hurts. I may not even switch over from the app to the page so I can see pics, could it actually get better.
    Not trains but maybe comedy engineer?

chryslerfan55 and lawman like this.
  10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

great thread, pics look great here.

11. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

The Studebaker engines are pretty hard to kill. I mean, I've killed one before, but it was my own stupidity that time. I have a couple more sitting around though, just in case.

Dude, I'm nowhere near hyperactive. If I was any slower I'd legally be considered a sloth. You're looking at a five-year span.
    I'm guessing "perseverance" is another word for "kinda dumb"? Haha

brEad, dwollam, raven and 7 others like this.
  12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This is great. I'm going to go out to the shop right now and start working on my '59 T'bird, which has been in a slowly evolving state of disrepair for 12 years now, while other stuff gets done instead. Wait. It's -10. I'll wait some more. I didn't have to break up with my wife to start any of my projects, so I'm a bit better off that way, but you're a better fabricator, so, there's that. Keep it up, I like it when I find other guys who do dumb things too.

OahuEli, ffr1222k, Clay Belt and 2 others like this.
  13. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 31: Cut the back of your car off. It'll be fun.
    The back of the coupe had a pretty rough time. The spots where the metal overlapped rusted out, and it looked like, well, it was on a car that was raced and flipped and left in a field. Imagine that.
    Cut stuff. Hit stuff with hammers. Go buy one of those cheap shrinker/stretchers from Harbor Freight. Really. That corner piece would have been impossible without it. They kinda mar the metal a bit, but it cleans up just fine.

14. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

What you might lack in decision making, looks as if you make up for it in fab skills, so you have that going for you...

patmanta likes this.
  15. Great thread, your making me feel good about taking since 1994 to finish the car in my avatar.

rc57 likes this.
  16. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Tim, brEad, 62hotcat and 8 others like this.
  17. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

So, that takes us to where I'm at today. I forgot about it earlier, but I ended up having to make all the trunk rain guttering from scratch. Which sucked. Try bending a 4 foot long piece of 18 gauge clamped to a table with a hammer. 8 times. Then shrink or stretch it to fit. I need a fancy brake one of these days.

Kreepea_1, mvee33, BradinNC and 21 others like this.
  18. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

19. awesome car and great work.
    do i see a new fancy brake in the back ground?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. This thread is really good!
    I can relate for sure!

The pics from album embed take forever to load. But it's so good I'm waiting it out- I'm in 5 mins and I've got teasers image.png

Attached Files:

21. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I'm guessing the HAMB phone app doesn't let you see the pictures? Seems like people going through the website are viewing it ok. Might try looking at it through your regular internet app. I'm no expert though.

Doctorterry and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

It's a cheesy Harbor Freight brake. Only 36" wide. I tried to bend a 36" long piece of 18 Gauge and it made me poop my pants and switch religions. It's not the greatest, but it does small stuff ok.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  23. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Ah, man, that sucks. I've got most of this stuff on Instagram, if you don't mind sifting through my other nonsense pictures. There's a minimum of almost-nude pictures of me on there, I promise. The name is @johnny_sparkle on there.

brEad, Drew Burgess, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  24. trey32

trey32

That Studebaker truck tho, money AF as the kids are saying nowadays...

Prescott likes this.
  25. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

After several failed attempts, I’ve finally figured out how to log in after 5 years.

I’m coming over to take glamour shots of you posing on your coupe, shirtless, with a whiskey bottle. We will make you really HAMB famous again!

26. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I don't think the world could handle all the sexy. It's worth a try though.

27. The only pics that will load for me are the last few but they are tits AF! Good job! I'll check out your IG.

28. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got you beat on length of time, my "53 Chevy pickup has been in progress for damn near twenty years now. Latest change is to ditch the frame with the Nova subframe and use the Jaguar suspension that happens to be sitting here.

29. Plowboy

Plowboy

I haven’t read a word you have typed. I am only posting in order to give you the validation you seek.

30. I don’t do Instagram but I did a search anyway. That truck is a bad bitch