Register now to get rid of these ads!

Profile Pages!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Dick Stevens, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just a little rant here, why don't people fill out their profile page? Let the good people on the HAMB know a few facts about you, or are you trying to hide something? Seriously, I like to check people's profile page to see where they are from or their age or what they do for a living or if they're retired like I am. Especially when their post mirror what I would say and even if I don't agree with their opinions, I find it interesting to maybe see where they are coming from and makes me feel like I know them at least a little bit.

2. MY Thoughts exactly Dick....The HAMB was a much more "family" when everyone knew everyone.

54delray, jimmy six, teefan and 10 others like this.
  3. ManChu

ManChu

Honestly guys,I don’t know how to add anything to it. Kind of a dinosaur with electronics. I tried

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. BJR

BJR

All the powers that be would have to do is not let newbies post until it is filled out. Like ordering something on Amazon. You cannot go to the next page without filling out the page you are on.

5. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Yup that sounds like they could do that and would help with buying and selling here. I always check a profile when I'm buying from the Hamb member. Helps with the scammers

54delray, 47ragtop, teefan and 7 others like this.
  6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

at the top right of the page there are 3 flags, click on the one with the head profile and select personal details and fill in and select what you want to be seen

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Exactly, we need to use everything we have at our disposal to protect ourselves and our hard earned money!

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Slopok

Slopok

They are gonna have to add a Transgender column the way things are going!;)

9. Did u just assume my gender?

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

This is the main issue. Scammers are all ready on the site as we can see every night.
    Scammers can get us thought the computer I guess, using thier ways.

But scammers aside what about thiefs.
    Let's talk thiefs.

In my time dealing with cars I have ran across real bad people, gang members, druggies, who know what else is behind the surface. Shoot this week I was almost robbed and jumped for selling a Mallory pointless distributor online at a meet up, and i suspect that the people who tried followed my ways online.

What's to stop a thief to joining the hamb and starting a thread like "let's see everyone's model A's) then systematically locating them, stealing them, resale for parts....etc..

Some members on the HAMB are old and can be looked at as a target for a young thug or even an old thug. What if a new HAMBer is need? Wants to come over and needs some help? All things to consider.

When I joined the Packard Forums it took about 3 weeks for them to accept me as a member.. I thought to myself did they screen me? If so? That's good.

I say don't trust anyone! Shoot a guy could be a girl online and fool a lonely man. After a while we can see who is who, but even then still I like to meet people in real life to look um in the eye.

Don't believe every one is who they say they are untill you've meet or confirmed with others.

If heard alot of bad stories when I was in my old ways of how people got robbed, and it was from the robber not the victim,, so I know how these scum bags think.
    Be smart.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    31hotrodguy, czuch, belair and 7 others like this.
  11. Off Kilter?;)

belair, catdad49 and iwanaflattie like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is filled out but my exact location is a bit vague by choice. Those that have an honest reason to know can find out easily enough.

13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

It's good to be vague with you location.

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

To add to what I said earlier my father in law works with this man that he always wanted me to meet because he into cars, in a real well known car club so I got his # and called him one day to feel him out. On the phone he told me "we can make any car ours, we have people in high places do do the paperwork"
    Never called the guy back..
    Thier are people out there that just take from people who work hard.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How did you like mine and did you figure me out?

Dick Stevens likes this.
  16. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

One reason I think, is so many are so ready to attack a simple question from someone that doesnt fit a certain label to be considered relevant. Not everyone is 100% what some think someone should be to "fit in". Some are hardcore and some are not. You could also ask this point why people dont show more of their work or projects. They may be eaten alive for not being 100%. So they keep a low profile so to speak to avoid the crap

17. I check the profiles on members that I am or may be dealing with or ask a question about an obscure issue. Yes they should be locked out from posting until the very minimum; location (doesn't have to be exact) occupation (can be vague IE, const worker, coal miner) vehicles that conform are completed. It does give you some sense of reliability when you look at a profile and they have something available to get a general location of the country they are from.

18. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

I’m with Dick on this one. The H.A.M.B is built on trust, but, you still have to be very cautious. When Ted Bundy (infamous serial killer) was asked what most concerned him as a individual, he responded by saying “there is a whole bunch of people in society that are capable of committing all the acts that I did....And YOU don’t know WHO they are, or where they are! Protect Yourself’s and Loved Ones.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

31hotrodguy, czuch, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. I am with youse guys. Seems kinda seedy to hide simple things like where you reside. Its irritating when trying to buy or sell something and the other party acts like he is trying to hide something.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Well, I moved a while back to even further into the Middle of Nowhere, and the local tweakers have taught me not to let too much of my comings and goings be known, hence the map coordinates needed to find me will stay private. However, I welcome PM's from anyone, have had a few with a few posters on this thread. Also, I am about to turn 39, for the 18th time. And I agree, a general location is nice to know.

21. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Ryan has this thing organized and all in all it’s pretty Dog-gone secure. All the members can police this thing. See something, say something. If you have been ripped off, let other’s know.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A little information can go along way. Be very careful of what you post about your self. I'm not talking about someone scamming you. I'm talking about organizations/persons, getting your personal information. The Government can get almost anything they want on you from this site or at your front door. This site is not as secure as people think it is. No site is.

You should only post what you want people to know about you and you should keep it minimal.

I will tell people only what I think is relevant about my self when I feel like it and I will tell anyone to get out of my personal business.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would that be a problem for you?

Ned Ludd, girlgears and pat59 like this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love when folks ask for specific advice on DMV paperwork, vehicle sales, titling, etc., and they don't list what state they are in, either in their profile or their posts. It makes it so easy to respond with accurate information.

25. If you are looking at either buying a heavy part or vehicle that doesn't run and will need hauled to at least have a general location of the country (State) to even know to proceed with a PM. Across the U.S. would require me to have it hauled even if it did run, a few hundred miles I would drive it or at least be tempted to. I don't mind PM's (retired) but some people may be busy (working) and not want to be bothered or know how to respond. How long does it take to complete the minimal required profile section? Maybe two minutes if you type like me with two fingers. Maybe this should be looked at in the suggestion section.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get why some folks don't want to lock down a location, especially if they live in a small town. I live in a 46 square mile city, but there are 880,000 people here. Finding me would be a challenge. In a town of 8800, not so much.
    North West Montana is better than blank space.
    Put something. Otherwise you could be in Glastonbury CT, or Glastonbury UK. Nobody knows.

27. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

WTF?

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  28. Seems ironic that some folks will list their birthday but won't post even their "general" location.:confused:

29. I worry about the safety of my family a lot so I didn't fill mine out for some time but I realize that point blank you cannot have anonymity online. It's a different world than it was. I look in the back of my old hot rod magazines and everyone posted their address and I'm thinking must have been nice to live in a time that you didn't have to worry. Maybe I'm off my rocker but that's how I see it. I also live in a town of significantly less than 1000 people so I use the larger town I'm always in that's less than 10 miles up the road. If I get to talking to someone on here and like them I'd love to meet them and check out their projects, rides, show them mine and shoot the bull and become friends you know. I don't have a lot of friends and none interested in hot rods. I wouldn't worry about giving friends my address but I don't advertise it. I expected a lot of guys will give me grief for being young it used to bother me but not anymore. I'm beginning to mellow with age, thankfully. Hahaha.

30. Man i would trust you in a heartbeat, i see in your avatar that your a Canadian Mountie on duty in CA. :cool:. Good enough for me :D Eh.