Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

somewhere I have a pic of the Jukebox. unless I am thinking of the merc that had one built into the dash.... man I hate getting old... I will look for a pic after work

2. akustom57

akustom57

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Duanes merc always had Ohio plates on it, even though he was from PA. At the time it was too hard to get a antique plate or through annual inspections with a chopped windshield so guys would use a friends address in ohio to register a car because they had no rules on it

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Even more confusing news akustom. So I think this was Ken Petersen`s Merc from Mason City Iowa. I`ve called him a few times, but no answer. He later bought a 54 Chevy Convertible that belonged to Steve Aherns of Council Bluffs Iowa. Then the last one he owned Scan0549.jpg was a 54 chopped Merc that he has had in Salina. Just sold it a year or two ago. Will post pic`s later.

4. buick boy

buick boy

This car sure looks like the Mercury built by Harry Pierson from Ottumwa Iowa. The plates look the same. Harry and I use to meet at the Midwest KKOA shows back in the mid 80s

Attached Files:

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Your more than likely right. That`s why I hesitated in posting pic`s. I didn`t think he`d get back to me so that`s why I posted it the way I did. Here`s another pic with the hood up taken in Springfield Il. KKOA show. I guess the plate does say Wappelo. Thanks for the correction. I didn`t meet Ken until he had his 54 Merc. Scan0553.jpg Bob Schuhs Merc, how`d that get in there.

Attached Files:

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I just found this in an 89 Issue of Rodders Digest No. 32. No caption for the photo. It was in the coverage of the 3rd Annual Rodder`s Digest Rod Run & Nostalgia Drags at the Piedmont Dragway. Where`s Piedmont. Looks like the same car as Scan0562.jpg Robert Earl Jones.

7. Piedmont Dragway is in Julian, North Carolina.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

North Carolina is a long way from California. And found this while trying to organize some magazines I have. Arizona is a long ways away from Pa and Ohio where the car was. Unless he winters there. It was in the KKOA publication in 92. Scan0564.jpg

9. akustom57

akustom57

George moved to Arizona years ago from Cleveland, but i thought he sold the car before he moved

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Then it turned into this which I posted earlier. This add was in 98 in West Virginia. Scan0081.jpg

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Robert Earl Jones still has his. The car from Iowa is in Neveda, I guess because it’s always at Viva

12. What Ever Happened To..........? number 97.

1950 Oldsmobile "La Bamba"
    Owner: Greg Roseland
    Omaha, Nebraska

This week's W.E.H.T. is similar to many others that I've written about in the fact that it was around a lot in the early days of the KKOA, and then seemed to disappear.
    Now, in my search for information on this car, it seems that it changed hands many times. I hope I have the timeline right, but someone out there might be able to verify all this or set us straight.
    As far as I can tell, this car was built by Greg Roseland in the late 70s or early 80s. Greg took the car to the first Leadsled Spectacular in Wichita in 1981. He also took the car back for the Spectacular in Springfield, Ohio in 1983.
    The car was mentioned in Custom Cars by Hot Rod from 1982 on page 4 in their coverage of the '81 Leadsled. I scanned that magazine and put the description with the picture.
    The Olds was also featured in the first KKOA book on page 49. The KKOA book says the owner was Wally Reinke. It mentions there that the car was at the first Spectacular and was owned then by a guy named Dee Rosen. So, there is a discrepancy there. In the same article it mentions that Wally Reinke of Imperial, Nebraska purchased the car from Dee. Wally did a lot of work to the fastback, and showed it the Nebraska area in 1986 and '87. The article mentions that Wally sold it in 1987 after he became disabled to Richard Hansen of Hartville, Wisconsin, and as of the printing of that book (1993), Wally had lost track of the car.
    I watched a lot of video searching for this car, and I never saw it on any that I have.
    I found a few great pictures of it on Rikster's site. You'll notice in the last picture the car had a visor installed on it. I believe that Mr. Reinke put that on as the picture in the KKOA book shows the car with a visor as well. You'll also notice in the same picture that the car has an old Ohio license plate on it, so it may be around Ohio somewhere. The mystery grows, huh?
    If this car is still around it seems like it would be easy to identify as there just aren't many chopped Oldsmobile fastbacks around. Hope it's still around as this car is really cool!
    Well, that's about all for this week. Until next time..........E

Greg Roseland 1950 Olds a CCbyHr p.4.jpg

Greg Roseland 1950 Olds b SPC.jpg

Greg Roseland 1950 Olds c.jpg

13. John B

John B

I might be wrong, but I recall it being at some KKOA Ohio shows between 2001 and 2004. Off to watch my old tapes I go.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  14. akustom57

akustom57

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Living not far from Omaha, I saw this car at the World of Wheels show in about 80. I fell in love with this car. I think it had a candy stripped interior. Yellow and white. I heard the car was originally built by a chubby Mexican(No offence) who owned a salvage yard. That's how people described him. Then Roseland. I`ll make a phone call tomarrow. Eventually Wally bought the car. He was a KKOA late model official. Then it left the area. More updates later. .+ Pavey`s photo looks like it is at the Davenport Iowa`s KKOA show.

16. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Great pick Lil E. I also recall this car from the Omaha World of Wheels at the old Civic Auditorium. Its got kind of a unique chop. I heard that fleetline/sedanette style is a tough chop, due to the deck lid with all its curves needing to be cut and put back together. But this one looks like they kept the stock decklid? Almost gives a bulbous look.

17. John B

John B

2002 it belonged to Bob Macky from Toledo, OH.

Sent from my GT-I9060C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It did change colors and has been forsale in the last 5 years or so. Will post more Wednesday.

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Is Sancho still out there?

Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  20. Yes sir! I have been looking for the Mercury's from last week as well as the Oldsmobile. I have not had much luck however....

21. 49toad

49toad

Being an olds guy this is one of my favorites. First saw it at the first leadsled. I would also like to know what happened to it.

22. You're right, Jim. I was going to mention that but it slipped my mind. In my research, I did read that it had yellow and white tuck'n'roll. I circled the rear deck in this picture as you can barely make it out. I never did find a picture of the interior. E

Greg Roseland 1950 Olds ca.jpg

23. John B

John B

Today I will attempt to get some screen shots from the 2002 video. It had some decent shots of the interior.

24. Here is one from carnut.com Wichita, 1981.
    kkoa011.jpg
    Another yellow sled from the 80's!

25. John B

John B

Clipped from the 2002 KKOA official event video. Sorry for it being grainy. From an OLD VHS to digital and then snipped. It's the best you can hope for.

I isolated the 50 some seconds of coverage of this car and will upload it to Youtube ASAP labomba2.JPG labomba3.JPG labomba4.JPG labomba1.JPG

26. John B

John B

27. Nice pic @Sancho. I missed that one. Carnut is a great source for pics. E

Great stuff @John B! Thanks so much for posting! Dig the candy stripe tuck'n'roll. This is one car I'd love to go over in person at a show someday. It is just too cool! E

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

. Lancaster Ohio, the Leadsleds in 2002. The same as when @John B video`s was made. Here is the Pic I took. While I was there, I saw a couple (Kim and Nancy)with there 40 Merc Convertible(which was owned by Dave Barnes of Red Oak) from Council Bluffs which is on the other side of the river from Omaha. I saw the Olds and told Kim and Nancy about the car. He told me a little bit about the history so I had them tell Bob and his wife about the car. He was thinking about changing the color of the car. But liked the story as well. I called Kim today but he was busy and couldn`t recal Scan0567.jpg l to much info. I thought I`d tell you the back story for the car I`m gonna show you next.

29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A few years later, I saw this. It reminded me of La Bamba. Is it the same car. But with a few changes. Frenched headlights, chopped, but no frenched antenna. It is owned by Wayne Richards from Berwick PA. I found it in the Goodguys magazine in 2010 and a few other years as well. A new owner could of updated it or possibly Bob did. Maybe @akustom57 knows. I thought I saw it in the classifieds with in the last 4 or 5 years in Goo Scan0568.jpg Scan0569.jpg dguys.

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Notice how the lake pipes stick out on both cars, or the same car. That`s something I would of changed.