Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flat tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumprat, Dec 31, 2017.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So what are those of you who drive long distances in a car with big and little tires doing for flats?
    Spare tubes and a pump? Spare tire and limp it with odd size tires? AAA?
    Or is everything just living on a trailer....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything I build carries a spare, or a plugging kit, or patches and tire levers, if tubed. I have a Viair 380 that goes with me, in whatever I'm driving. Odd size tires have not proven an issue.

I once went home with a 5" difference in height, on a rear axle, with a Eaton/Detroit TruTrac.

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Like Gimpy I carry a 12 volt compressor, jack and a tire plug kit.
    I have a generic spare with dual pattern lugs that I will toss in to whatever and wherever I'm driving as deemed necessary. Anything more than that it's called a AAA card.

JonnyZ72 and Hnstray like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So far limp in has worked. I do carry a 12V compresser and tire plugs though.
    One of my buddies just made sure I had my spare with me when we went on road trips. As long as I had the Jack, spare and lug wrench with me life was good. He had a 29 A roadster with Chevy bolt pattern on all 4 corners then.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I carry a spare for the front. Its smaller to carry and will get me home. Except my avatar which carries the original skinny wheel.

samurai mike likes this.
  6. Miraculously I have driven thousands of miles since the 70's with no spare tire or any way of patching a tire but this past summer my luck ran out on the way home from the All Deuce Run and fortunately for me,I was able to pull in a QT station as the tire was going down, a friend had a patch kit and a Good Samaritan came to our aide with a car that had a on board compressor and were were back on the road in less than a half hour.

I pushed my luck for too many years and I now have a small jack & a portable compressor along with a patch kit. HRP

7. small jack I trial fit on all 4 corners, 12V compresser, 2 cans fix-a-flat, plug kit....AAA card. No room for spare.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Sometimes I have a spare, some times I have just a plug kit and compressor... but it's been a long time since I've got a flat on the road.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Plug kit. Viair compressor, Fix-A-Flat and AAA......for vehicles I have with no spare. When trailering, I carry a trailer spare, jack etc. Oddly, I have had more trailer flats than anything else, and I keep very good, well maintained tires on the trailer.

Ray

10. squirrel

squirrel

Trailers suck. I seem to always do better by leaving the trailer at home.

chop job, nunattax, fol and 1 other person like this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I turn the tire to the top side. It's not flat up there.

12. I don't own one,only time I have ever needed on was when the car wasn't running, HRP

[​IMG]

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trailers are for bringing more tools to the shop.

Runnin shine, chop job and squirrel like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps if you only associate them with 'trailer queens'. But I frequently have hauled non-ops and one ways and it's difficult to do those without a trailer. For several years I did 'rebuilders' and bought and sold off-lease used vehicles I often acquired at sales 100 to 400 miles from home. Also was into off-roading for several years.....for all these purposes and many more a trailer has been extremely useful. Was the question about flats limited to HAMB era vehicles only?

Ray

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    i.rant likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I was talking about trailers in general. They are a necessary pain when they're needed, and just a pain when they're not really needed.

blowby likes this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I carried a front size spare. it will get you home if home is not to far. Or it will get you to a tire store if need be.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. jeff47wl

jeff47wl
    from sunnyvale

A spare tire, jack, jack stand and a sense of humor. When you least expect it you will need it.
    A flat tire on the freeway is no fun especially when nobody stops to offer help. A coast guard helicopter did circle twice then continued on.

jeff

Attached Files:

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A jack stand is a great idea!

Ray

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've been pretty lucky, I don't usually carry spare anything, just a few common tools.
    The last flat I had, a spare wouldn't have helped, the axle bearing slipped on the axle and it came out and rubbed the tire through on the fender lip. Other than that, I haven't had a flat since I retired.
    Now back when I was working I usually found a flat in the morning when I was already running late or had an important meeting or something.

XxMikexX likes this.
  20. wicarnut

wicarnut

A can of Fix-a-flat and my cell phone(remember bag phone's) since 89 or so, has been my spare tire for all of my Hot Rods, Hobby cars. In the years before cell phones, always had the good fortune to meet good people on the road when a problem happened, towed racecar trailer's all over Midwest many years, many miles, lucky not many breakdowns or tire failures.

jnaki likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Slime instead of Fix-a-flat. It does not eventually ruin the tire.

I have pulled drywall screws, used nothing but Slime, and carried on, until I wore out the tire.

My wife's car has it in all 5 (spare included), preemptively.

wicarnut and clem like this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Are those space saver inflatable spares still around?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have not seen one in a new car in a while. Mostly the car models that had these now just don't have any spare, at-all.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wife's OT 88 Firebird has one on an aluminum wheel, never been aired up, has a cylinder to inflate it IIRC, or that might have been her 77 Firebird that had the inflatable one, the 88 might just be one of the mini spares. Hell, I can't remember now, I looked when we got it last year, and haven't looked at it since.

I have a Ford ranger pickup wheel and tire for a spare in the Lincoln. A bit taller than the front tires, but plenty of room in the fender so no worries on it fitting. My problem is the jack. Car sits so low, you can't get under it to put the jack under the axle, so you have to jack the body up a bit first, then put the bottle jack under the axle. Haven't had to do it except here at home on the concrete so far.

Best defense against flats is good tires. Not saying you won't get a flat on a newer tire, but it's less likely due to the rubber depth. When I ran maypops all the time, I was always getting flats. Nowhere near as many with good tires.

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

No room for spair,so plug kit an also Fix-a-flat,plus a small lighter plug in air-pump. AAA is good,but don't have it. Storage behind seat back of jumpers,tools etc. Now days a cell phone.

dennysleving4frankies.jpg

chop job, 26 T Ford RPU and wicarnut like this.
  26. A space-saver spare out of a late model, a scissors jack out of a late mustang, lug wrench and I'm good to go... I've got a cel phone and towing, but too many of the places I drive don't have cel service to count on any towing services.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  27. Latigo

Latigo

Lots of trunk space and carry a spare. "Get a spare or get a sense of humor"

28. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

My space saved is the same diameter as my rear tires, as I also have a TrueTrac.
    Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. mjknisel

mjknisel

I have a spare that's half way between size of the front tire and rear tire. Also a jack and 12v air compressor. Had a flat on left front once. With spare on it wasn't to bad to drive. Forgot to mention that spare was relatively narrow. Carry tire plugs as well. But side wall got ruined.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heading to a show 1 1/2 hrs away just got off the highway rolling in the gate and someone calls your front tire is flat. It just happened. So rolled 50 yds to park. No spare. But the hot rod gods were looking after us. As the guys taking our tire off were from a local 4WD club and so happened the guy with the shaved head was the manager of a tire shop ,so on a Sunday he took care of it , an hr later we were fixed. It seems the coker tire had an aluminium tag inside that caused issues as I remember the 2nd day they were on and obviously the tire shop the merely patched the tube instead of replacing it .
    So 4 yrs later the poor repair let go.
    Do I carry a spare in my cars now. No I didn't learn. Still carry a scissor jack though. Just rely on the hot rod gods.
    IMG_0094.JPG

Boryca, 26 T Ford RPU and 39 Aaron NZ like this.