Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I want some new body shop inventions !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 21, 2017.

1. I didn't want to be greedy or silly and ask for those. Or unicorns either

loudbang and henryj1951 like this.
  2. Well ask Santa for a good one and this time Keep her out of the shop

pitman, loudbang and henryj1951 like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Fresh out of the package I take it?

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Exoskeletal block sanding arm.

[​IMG]

pitman, loudbang, RMR&C and 4 others like this.
  5. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I do body work for a living so my arms are in great shape but my belly , now that's a different story

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

catdad49, loudbang and henryj1951 like this.
  6. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Just going to have to keep doing the work the old fashion way and wait for the mud to flash off and shape it with 40 grit then when it's dry switch to 80 and when the 40 marks are gone then switch to 180 and there you go. Get the primer ready

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Hey, gotta have some ballast.

8. Yeah mine too.
    Arms are great,
    elbows wrists and shoulders get pissed off then give my fingers a bad attitude. The arms are all ready to go and like cheerleaders "come on guys !!"'and then everyone say fuck you.

9. Yeah yeah yeah ,,,
    NEW invention, remember that part.

10. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I spend more energy spreading the filler than I do sanding. Hands cramp up pretty bad sometimes.

henryj1951 likes this.
  11. A while back I was watching this pro body dude just pile on the filler and then after only a couple of minutes, while the filler was partly set up, he worked it with a disk that shaved it like a cheese grater. He finished it off while it was still "tender" and not hard as a rock.

12. back when filler was $8 a gallon i bet.
    better to fill the "lows" with just enough.

13. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Half round surform file (cheese grater) is an indispensable tool and so cheap to buy. Young techs don't get it. Hell, the last shop I worked at wouldn't authorize the purchase of a "cheese grater". Stupid punk!

14. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

A lot cheaper than labor.

henryj1951 likes this.
  15. This thing is a real saver. Really it is.

16. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Well aint that slicker than snot. I use a piece of Corion counter-top the same way.

henryj1951 likes this.
  17. Teflon coated, mud will not stick to it. 3 different blades in varying thickness for contours. There's a few vids and their web site

loudbang, pat59 and henryj1951 like this.
  18. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I agree. I almost ordered them but I'm getting a little smarter about impulse buying. I'm going to wait until i talk to my PBE jobber.

19. I wanted to see him sand it, I put it on and seem to over sand it every damn time.
    That would be my invention, a retractable boxing glove to punch me in the head when its sanddd enough. boxing-glove-23746039.jpg

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What we really need is a good $20/hour body man!

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nibless, dust-dissolving, self leveling clear coat and residue-less tape are high on my list.
    To be honest, I'm happy with the products that are out there today! Between 2k high build primer, high quality filler and air tools, we've got it made compared to the tools and materials they were using in the '50's! I've got no complaints! A lot of it is knowing how to work the materials quickly and efficiently!

bchctybob, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that.

I started putting down paint 30-years ago. Compare then to now, and if you properly follow all of the steps, you practically cannot do it wrong (although many still do).

I am having trouble still convincing myself that I am not any good at bodywork. I am not sure I got better. The products sure did!

23. Richard Head

Richard Head

When I have tried this, I have actually stacked one run on top of another. I just quit when I am behind and sand it out later.
    Dave

loudbang likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

blowby and loudbang like this.
  25. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

It is a learned failure.

26. Over fill then over sand then do it again, it's the craziest shit ever and getting punched in the head seems fitting.

http://www.exactlinetools.com/
    If you watch the videos, pay attention to the custom mix of filler he uses. He cuts the filler at least 25% with icing or glazing- makes it smoothsimpler and sandeasyer with no pinholes.
    There's all sorts of vids here, shows the sanding time and effort "in real time" too, it's over quick.
    There's no need for cheese grater, 40 grit, or 80 grit step down. The only material waist is what you've over mixed so it saves there again. He uses mostly a finish DA with 180 or 220 to sand and it's less than a minute.

Poh and Pinstriper40 like this.
  27. LAROKE

LAROKE

As long as we're dreamin', I'd like to see quart cans of milspec nanotech that can be programmed with a laptop to do the work overnite while I'm catchin' some Z's

28. catdad49

catdad49

Isn't that called,
    "getting into your work"?!

blowby likes this.
  29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

New Tools? Check this out!

30. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    This product has many names and uses. KTI (KTI-70550) Sanding Pen,
    Scratch Brush, Fiberglass (Colors may vary)EuroTool
    upload_2017-12-22_6-15-25.png
    This is the last unit that I have. It works the best with minimal shredding, but I still use it with a face mask and goggles, when I have to use it. Now, on stainless/fiberglass, there is a liquid that works just as well. (Spotless Stainless)

I have used it in taking off rust spots on chrome/stainless steel with minimal scratching. But, I have noticed that if used outside on a windy day or inside with a fan blowing, you have to be careful as tiny microscopic shreds fly all over the place. This is fiberglass and as you use the product to take off rust on chrome or stainless steel, it gets all over. It is especially dangerous to the eyes.

If anyone has sanded "set up" fiberglass cloth/resin on any product, flying shreds go all over the place, including on you. It is one itchy situation. Also, if you don't use a face mask respirator, you are inhaling this fine dust with bad things happening as a result. In the early days of surfboard manufacturing and repair, dust was flying all over the place and no one used dust masks. One of our best friends, a surfboard shaper/glasser/manufacturer died as a result of years of shaping, fiberglass cloth work, sanding and glossing on a ton of surfboards. That was not good.

Jnaki
    If the area is in need of fine sanding or pin point sanding, this product would probably work, but the "other" result is not the best for your health. In sanding small 1/64 cars and trucks to prep them for the multiple coats of paint, a better sanding solution would be the fine wet dry paper glued onto a small flat curved metal spoon.

The small spoon has a point to get into the smallest places and along those built in side chrome strips and ridges on hoods and trunk lids. The glued on, fine sand paper on the slight curved surfaces of the spoon gets you to that spot(s) where your finger pressure sands too much of the surrounding area. I used some old baby metal spoons that were the perfect size and shape to get to those places next to the raised ridges without damaging the raised portions.

The small rod fiberglass product works, but much care needs to be taken to keep you safe. If the flying fiberglass gets on your bare skin, it obviously itches. If it gets in your eyes, you need help from a doctor.