Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New guy from Missouri

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roys40, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Roys40

Roys40

Build sheet? Maybe or is it just information for future ideas? So much to learn about the flathead. Oh the trouble I'm going to catch from the wife! Since seeing the poor shape of the harness and shift linkage I have spent the last 2 nights In the shop and more money on things that are usually much cheaper on my other projects! Well if anyone has insight to the notes let me know will start a thread on the restoration as soon as I get my bearings on how in depth I'm going and how much time and money I can spend before my wife who is very patient and understanding of its importance gets upset at me lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and wicarnut like this.
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Welcome from Northern Wisconsin ! Enjoy the Hobby !

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

looks from his notes the motor was rebuilt, i would guess the later engine if the one on the pallet looks used up. pics of both engines will have your anser. one page of his notes listed clearances, looks like he made notes from a manual for quick reference. Bob Drake will have a harness and shifter parts as well as others .im not too savy on flatheads, so will let others give you facts. i do know your granddad would be proud.

4. catdad49

catdad49

First off, welcome from VA. You're killin' me (us)! First the two Teaser pics, then the story about a Flathead on a pallet!! What else is there that you're ready not telling us about?! I'm in for this one, Carp.

5. Roys40

Roys40

Haha well the flathead on a pallet is complete minus the intake and in good shape with crab distrubutor coil condenser and pumps. It's oiled and Sealed for storage with a note taped to it that says spare stored October of 87. ( I was born in October of 87 haha) I don't know much about it as I left it packaged and stored and have not messed with it. I know it has 24 bolt heads just like the motor in the car. The motor in the car has an a stamped on the heads dead center and ford on top towar the front of the heads

6. Roys40

Roys40

Also there is a spare drivers side front fender and passenger rear both primer ed and ready for paint as well as spare light switches and lights along with choke and lighter knobs. A few other miscellaneous things like a spare tire and tool kit from another 40 I guess he bought from somewhere.also tons of air and electronic horns. Have the dixieland and ooga ones plus the train horns in the car. (Put the dixie horn in the big red f150)

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  7. Roys40

Roys40

Also along with the 40 ford I got a 53 Studebaker truck on a s10 frame that was a roller. U have worked on tons of newer gms and ford's so I built that when I was 20. My first car I ever bought was from one of my grandma's friends. Her husband had passed and she was selling his car, it was an 84 monte carlo ss with a camped 350 and air ride suspension and a bunch of other things I didn't need at age 14. Got it home and straight to grandpa shop who promptly dug out a set of 15x10 rear and skinny fronts and an 871 blower. Needless to say I had my first wreck less than a mile down the road at 15 trying to be a cool drift guy and totaled ther car. No serious injuries but my pride and was able to salvage the motor and transmission. Which later went in the Studebaker.

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Please, No Blower for this one!

9. Roys40

Roys40

Hahaha this one is staying completely stock it is 100% year correct as far as I know and I'm done eating breakfast and beating up the boys this morning and giving the princess her morning bows and respects and catered her the pancakes because they are better than the waffles everyone else had haha. So I am about to take pics of the car to hopefully find out if anything is not what it was drove home from the dealership with

10. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

That's awesome!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Roys40

Roys40

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what these badges belong to just found them among the tons of other badges that are in a big storage tub. The rest of them are easily identifiable these are not ringing a bell for me. Also the card with his name and ford emblem that has 6 ford 40 anyone know what's about? I know at one point a dealership used him for body work and custom stuff for customers but that's it

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thunderbird?

Car sounds awesome I’m looking forward to seeing more

13. Roys40

Roys40

Well just went through and took tons of pictures in terrible lighting from 3 feet away because I hav 2 trucks my work car and 2 buells and a benelli in a 50×60 shop Haha. Work car gets about 46k miles a year on it and is getting a new front suspension the big red ford has a svt motor with turbo set up and 8 inch lift have the entire drive line out for the 3rd time in less than 2 years. And a new project c 10 that is going to sit for a few years now haha.

14. Roys40

Roys40

Yep thunderbird it is just found it

15. Roys40

Roys40

Ok so for the history from when poppy passed. I was 17 and my step dad and mom kept the car in his shop and I could not drive it or do anything with it until I had my own place that I owned with a garage.so for 3 years my step dad ( my dad he was around from age 2 on) so dad kept it in the garage maybe started it 2 times a year and the fuel was never drained the linkage was never greased and it just sat. Well I was engaged and had put my first contract in on a house with a garage! So excited about the 40 finally being in my possession I had the 53 and rented space in my friends dad's shop to keep it. Bought the house got married and mom and dad drove the 40 over and the damn thing wouldn't fit!!! So back to the shop. A year later first child is born and my mother gets sick and has to take early retirement. Medical bills and constantly being in the hospital takes its toll dad misses work to take care of her and they call me and tell me the house is in foreclosure. I was upset angry they didn't tell me it was that far. The shop was built by my poppy and his mom and dad opened a convenience store there in like 1915. He and my memaw would yodel at each other as kids from their porch roofs. Anyways I would have gave up my place to save theirs but still a kid and wasn't very understanding. This will turn into a novel I'll summarize it lol.

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and Roys40 like this.
  17. Roys40

Roys40

Long story short. Lost the house they rented one with a carport. And the 40 was there for 2 years as I was broke with my wife at home and diapers special formula that my princess had to have. Plus baby 2 on the way. Finally took the project superintendent job I'd been working on getting with a top rated contractor. Big raise + my union benefits and sold the house and built our new one with the big shop! Friends had let me store all the extra parts and tons of tools of my grandpa's in their garages for free and now o had a full shop with his tools my dad's who is a mechanic as well and mine. Back to broke baby 3 on the way and finally caught up only 1 left in diapers and about potty trained! Have the extra to restore my poppy's baby slowly so here's pictures of its current state tell me what to do!

18. Roys40

Roys40

chryslerfan55 and vetteguy402 like this.
  19. Roys40

Roys40

20. Roys40

Roys40

21. Roys40

Roys40

22. Roys40

Roys40

23. Roys40

Roys40

24. Roys40

Roys40

25. Roys40

Roys40

26. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Welcome and awesome story. Keep it coming. We love pics and stories.

27. Roys40

Roys40

chryslerfan55 and 40ragtopdown like this.
  28. Roys40

Roys40

29. Roys40

Roys40

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Roys40

Roys40