Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for info on an NC club.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Been searching around trying to find the history on hot rodding in my area of NC the past few weeks, I live a bit north of charlotte in a town called salisbury, but have really been trying to get info on the whole state as well. I was on the obrientruckers page and looking throught the club names directory they had and saw that there was a club listed for my town known as "road knights" any one from NC have any info on this or know anything about it?

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  2. I'll be in your area over the weekend and having breakfast with several area club members Saturday morning. I'll quiz them on the "Road Knights" and any info I get will come straight to you. OR....you can meet with the same group for the same breakfast...Punchy's Diner in Concord, 8am! Ask them yourself and I'll get to shake your hand!

3. I have heard about this meet up and i wish my 55 wasn't torn down or Id drive it up there, gotta get my brakes back in order this weekend.

4. I'll be driving my OT daily, so don't feel bad for showing up in just about anything! The cars are third in importance, right behind friends and food! Good times....be there!!

5. Is this a monthly meeting Brett? If so, which Saturday of the month is it?

I am in Cornelius, about 25 minutes away.

6. @ffr1222k First Saturday every month...I'm 3.5 hours east...see you there!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Guess i could drive the ole work truck up there then.

brett4christ likes this.
  8. .....I like your sense of priorities.:)

firstinsteele and brett4christ like this.
  9. Don, contact Nailhead Jason and hitch a ride with him...he’s coming down for breakfast and helping Ben with a couple things!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. @brett4christ After this week I need a drive to NC and back in the 51! Ill be bringing the frame back on the roof rack!!!

lothiandon1940 and brett4christ like this.
  11. @Nailhead Jason I'm looking forward to it!

@A_Burly_Wind ...sorry for the hijack, but the breakfast could prove to be a good resource for you and your club inquiry...more noggins, more knowledge!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  12. Hey Im from the south, I dont need much excuse to have biscuits and gravy haha. I will definitely try and make it up there saturday.

13. .............................I wouldn't mind doing that but, I'm about 2 hours North still from Jason.:)

brett4christ and Nailhead Jason like this.
  14. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I live in Harrisburg, NC and work in Salisbury, NC - not been active in car clubs for the last 10 years .... kids and horse riding vs wrenching on Hot Rods. I know Punchy's well at Concord. What club is meeting this Saturday? I need to bring my 17 year old son to get him involved.

15. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Good luck !

I’ve been trying to find a traditional (ish) club in the area for a while, but have come up with nothing. Plenty of restomod billety lounge chair carriers though !

16. There's a few traditional clubs active around here, in particular the iron lords and road pilots. But other than those guys I don't know of much that isn't either billeted street rods or the air ride ratty crowd.

17. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware of those.

:)

18. Id love to get some local history and some pictures would be great, I grew up in a family of hot rodders and drag racers, but besides them I don't know many guys that were around during the beginning. Ive been building my coupe for 5 years and still not near done and just recently got my vic so I havent really infiltrated the current local culture much either haha.

19. It’s an informal monthly breakfast organized by my buds the Road Pilots. All are welcome...it’s not a club meeting!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and A_Burly_Wind like this.
  20. Your merc is killer bud, I wasnt downing air ride as a whole, I was saying the ratty crowd as in the tack welded together cab with license plate floor boards and carbed LS engines and all that. And that merc of yours is far from ratty, hell it looks better than my fairlane does. Sorry if I offended bud.

ebfabman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. ebfabman

ebfabman

You didn't offend. Happy motoring.....

22. Anybody got any info on any hot rod history from around nc? Any crazy builders and wild stories from old timers?

23. Back up for the Friday morning crowd.:)

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  24. Do you guys remember the Ace Speed Shop, in Charlotte ?

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  25. Not personally, but one of the Iron Lords used to own a '55 Chevy drag car, sponsored by Ace Speed Shop that held the national record in the early 70's.

26. Ace was the place in the late 60's and early 70's.

27. My grandpa used to buy a bunch of Stuff from ace back when he was drag racing, I wasn't around then being born in the 80's. But he told me about ace all the time. I recently found one of their license plates that had the logo and a dragster on it in a antique store in concord.

MIKE STEWART and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. I grew up in Greensboro, and our version of Ace was Southern Automotive downtown. I was lucky enough to work there for a time while in college. Learned a ton from Nelson and Bill Gusler!!

A_Burly_Wind and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. When I was coming up and getting into racing (had a non hamb friendly firebird) Ace high performance in concord was where we'd go on saturdays to drool over parts we couldn't afford and talk to Henry about all the big time cars around and try to learn some things. That poor car, I bet I hot lapped that thing down mooresville and farmington a hundred passes back to back to back.

30. I think Skeeter still has it.