Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is the hot rod market really slow these days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Nov 28, 2017.

1. zzford

zzford

I've got a really nice 66 Nova that I have been trying to sell. Been having a hard time moving it. I finally turned it over to one of the bigger consignment dealer. If all goes well, I should clear more money than selling it by myself. They can get financing for their buyers. That's can be a big help.

wvenfield likes this.
  2. Two things I see. Your truck has a very specific look that is going to appeal to a very narrow group of buyers and at the price point most people are probably not wanting to pay to do high dollar things like paint and no a $150 blitz black paint job it not what 98% of buys would consider painted.

WiredSpider likes this.
  3. zzford

zzford

These postings remind me of a sale a buddy made about 20 years ago. He had a really nice 32 roadster that he trailered all over the country to sell. Nice car, decent price. He took it to most of the biggest events, all in vain. On a lark, we went to a small rod run in a little bitty town, not too far from home. Yeah. It sold to a guy just travelling through the area. Right place, right time.

rjones35 likes this.
  4. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Yeah. Your at that range where its not glam enough for a gold chainer, too much for a fool.
    It's for someone like me to pull the trigger. But to do that, it has to be THE one. I know what these cars are worth, I just don't have the cake to afford em all, so I have to be choosy.

For what's it worth, I have a 58 f1 driver that I couldn't sell for 5500. Its decent, too!! Eff it. I'm keeping it. The day the for sale sign came out, every asshole wanted it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Poh likes this.
  5. Fuelaltereds4life

Fuelaltereds4life

I have been seeing a lot of these types of threads in the last couple of months. It all boils down to this... our hobby is on its way into the history books. The imminent autonomous car "revolution" and the obsolescence of the internal combustion engine are hastening this demise. The millennial generation is to busy with their social networking and could really care less about what kind of car they drive if they even drive at all. The media and the politicians have done a great job of making everyone feel guilty for burning fuel and emitting carbon dioxide as a means of transitioning us into the "shared economy" which is to say an economy where transportation is a service that is provided to you and not a privilege that you pay for.

This confluence of events has a real ripple effect on the market for our types of cars. What was once a solid investment is now just throwing your money away. It has hit the traditional rod market first because that is the oldest type of hot rod. Muscle cars and resto mods are still popular but that will eventually fizzle out if it hasn't already with the baby boom generation passing into retirement and beyond. It is damn depressing and saddens me that we are living through the end of everything we love about this hobby and lifestyle. In 20 or 30 years all that will be left are fond memories and photographs.

So with that said i would seriously re consider keeping your hot rod and driving it as much as you can before the day comes that you can no longer drive your self. Just my 2 cents.

6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Spot-On!! Very well said...

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As an example, I've recently been working on the paperwork for the end of the line. In Missouri, the easy way is to have a "transfer on death" name on vehicle titles. In the event it becomes a fact, then all the boys would need is a death certificate and $11 for the title transfer and the car/trailer/boat, etc. would be theirs without wills, probate, etc.

So I asked the little darlings, aged 40 and 38 "who wants what?". Both looked at each other and then at the ceiling. I called the older one out and said "You've always like the '55" to which he responded that, maybe, Bubba would rather have it. More ceiling staring. How about the '37 coupe? More ceiling staring and whistling. I think they might have been waiting for the cash.

And we have not got to the gun collection yet. I wonder if Goodwill takes loud cars and firearms?

8. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

This brings up a point that really burns me.
    I have many times been interested in a certain part or something, but not had the money to spring for it. I hear "If you want the right shit you have to step up with the dough" and the like.
    I see the same guys drag the same parts to the swap with the same price.

I think oder rodders should start to consider the legacy of our hobby and befriend some younger rodders. I've heard about alot of stuff getting scrapped by disinterested family instead of passing to a new steward. I've seen threads on here with OPs bragging about how they couldn't sell their expensive stuff at the swap so they took it all to scrap just to spite the lowballers.

The lowballers are sometimes kids like me who are offering everything we have available and hoping we get lucky.

Keep all your stuff and pass it on when the time comes.

(Sorry for running a bit off topic)

9. Nobey

Nobey

This is so true, it is, what it is.....

trollst likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Streetrod market is beyond bad. Lots on the market for less then the built cost. A friend of mine is in a large old time car club. He says most old time members are trying to dump their Streetrods and get into 50's - 60's cars.

11. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

If that's the future....no thanks! I think I'll drive one of my rods off a cliff instead!

Landmule likes this.
  12. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I think that people have held on to their dollars a bit more the last several years because of the huge political event that recently occurred. People just weren't sure of what the economy would do. I think it'll pick back up. A lot of us young guys dream of owning a finished or close to being finished hot rod.

13. Some 60's cars aren't selling, at least not my 62 Tbird. Having trouble trying to get 7500.00.

14. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Part of your problem is you own a T. They’re small inside and lets be honest, they don’t enjoy a huge following. Second problem is a lot of ppl don’t like a track nose. Just not very popular. Third problem, it’s not painted. Paint costs a huge amount when done properly. And I agree with an above post, throwing a $150 paint job on isn’t what most consider paint. Fourth problem, it’s got a 4 banger Those four issues put your car into a niche market with a niche buyer. You have to find the one guy who loves your car, or you gotta drop the price and sell it to a flipper who can make a couple changes, paint it and try to make a profit. One last thing, if you wanna sell it, then list it on as many sites as possible with really good pictures and a great write up.

Remember, Christmas is coming. No matter what you’re trying to sell, most markets slow down around this time of year.

15. Squablow

Squablow

I swear up and down I say this with the utmost respect and not to degrade you or your build in any way, but, I think the problem is, it's a strange car.

Track nose on a pickup with a kinda bulky box, fat radial tires, 4 cylinder, no paint, kinda high price. (I see Deucedreamer kinda beat me to it, but I agree with him).

Now I love 26-27 T's, I have one, but they don't command a huge price unless they're really spot-on. If the car had a '32 grille (or a T grille maybe), a V8, a turtle deck or maybe a less tall box, maybe 16" wheels and bias tires, paint on it, I could see the price, maybe more.

But the way it is, I just don't see it bringing that kind of cash, in any market. Not a few years ago, and not a few years from now.

But also, old cars are seasonal, and this is the worst possible time to sell it. From late March until the end of June is the hot time to sell cars, same as motorcycles. It's like trying to sell a snowmobile just before summer.

If you really want to move it, try making some changes and bring it back out in spring, I think you'll get a lot more interest in it.

16. trollst

trollst

No offence taken, gonna put a turtle deck on it when I can find one.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  17. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

My wife and I have already been planning on where we will put 2 Ts and a 36 when my pop goes.
    I may have to buy a bigger house or lease a shop, but they're not leaving the family.
    I also obsess about my kids not being able to afford old cars when they get to driving age.
    If your little darlings aren't interested, my little darlings are.
    Let me know, I'll cover the 11 bucks

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

this is the most truthful statement of all - there in no rhyme or reason as to what sells when it does and what doesn't
    Deucedreamer & Squablow have made good honest replies - We recently sold wife's finished '50 Chevy PU, with lots of upgrades including ZZ4, 700R4, A/C, etc for $18.5.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  19. wicarnut

wicarnut

I've had a couple of cars for sale since May and it does seem to me that the market is soft/slow, have been playing with cars a long time and usually my cars sell quickly which makes me think I priced them correctly. It has been different this time, after the normal calls from consignment dealers, the silly offers of 1/2 of asking price, trade offers, ad's states no trades, the phone has been dead and I am advertising nation wide on sites I've had good results with in past, I agree with nothing will sell now unless you give it away and I'll wait to spring to maybe rethink my pricing after watching other ads of similar cars to mine. In May there were about 20/25+ 49/51 Mercury's for sale, now there appears to be 100+ at least and I've observed some big price reductions and those cars are still for sale. Like many I talk with, I think the car hobby is changing and it's a buyer's market now, IMO. As always, I'll be patient and see how it shakes out, maybe I'll end up trading for something, but I really don't know what I want, have had the good fortune of owning my dream cars, not daydreaming about any car in general.

trollst likes this.
  20. Supply and demand. Old guys are dying off or selling cars to pay medical bills. The market is flooded.
    Who are the buyers? Young people for the most part aren't interested or don't have the funds.

21. If stuff isn't selling it is priced too high. Just because it was worth a certain amount an year or two ago doesn't mean that is still the case.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. "Right place, right time."
    Yup. I'd been trying to sell a plain-jane G-body Malibu wagon with a 355 sbc/350 turbo for several months. Everybody loved it but nobody stepped up. I was only trying to get $2500 for it and it was in very nice shape. One day I took it to the Speedway motors coffee cruise and a guy saw it-called his buddy on the cell phone and that guy was actually looking for one. Paid me what I wanted and was thrilled to find this car. Only 1 guy interested in 4 months trying to sell it but that 1 guy really wanted it! Keep advertising it and the comments regarding paint are spot on. When selling, any paint is better than no paint. Painting a car scares the shit out of most guys.

23. deadbeat

deadbeat

years ago down here you could get a hot rod for under 10k, mostly fibreglass etc. Now a days for 20k you cant build one, let alone have it road ready with all the hoops we have to jump through from the fun police. Australia has tougher rules than us in NZ. Many opt for getting cars out of the U.S with most of the work done as some have said. Totally agree with all that has been said but some may disagree with me down here. Good luck and a cool little car,,cheers

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

29 Model A pickup October 2015.jpg What would you pay for this? I sold it two years ago this month for asking price. 283, 700R4. Seat done but needed door panels, headliner and carpet.

Attached Files:

chevy57dude and Bruce Fischer like this.
  25. Agree with Rocky Re: paint. Recently dreaming & drooling over a '57 Vette on that site. Mostly complete, and together. 30ish K less than any others. Curious to see what it sells for. 4 days left and bid to 26K.[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. [​IMG]
    Here's the next cheapest one at 62K. Most are WAY higher. By no means is this a direct comparison. but there is a stark contrast between painted and primered when it comes time to sell. Speaking from experience, paint jail sucks.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. HOT13ROD

HOT13ROD
    from florida

go to any car show and you will see the way this is going new corvettes mustangs camaros etc buy it and bring it back to the dealer for service its a joke but all the shows are letting them in so its the easy way they dont have to get their hands dirty so why buy a car you have to do your own work on thats the way some people look at it so that hurts the market

28. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yep. Every single person with a car that says it won't sell would sell quickly if it was priced at what people will pay for it.

H380, Saxman, 56don and 4 others like this.
  29. robracer1

robracer1

I believe that any intened Rod and Custom car show at allow newer Vettes, Camaros and Mustangs (that a lot show up with dealer tags) should be boycotted.
    These owners have no sweat equity in there rides.
    Don't mean to go off topic but this is something that pisses me and others off.
    let me go take a blood pressure pill and i'll be okay again!

PunkAssGearhead88 and trollst like this.
  30. wvenfield

wvenfield

Many do it for a benefit of some sort. The benificiary probably could use the vette's owner money as much as anyone's.

I generally avoid them all as it got old listening to the guy with the cookie cutter street rod bellyaching about the guy with the vette winning a trophy. I'll just give them the $20 and not show up.