Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shade tree Model A speedster kind of thing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rwrj, Nov 21, 2017.

1. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

This won't be a build thread to start with, because I've already done a lot. Kind of a catch up that might turn into a build thread. I am new to hot-rodding, but not new to messing with cars and building stuff. Got bit by this site, and wanted to try it out on the cheap, so I decided to try to build a speedster. Not a faithful reproduction, just something to bomb around in. I bought this old 28 Model A chassis and drug it home.
    IMAG0867.jpg

Dannerr, shark81, Midnight340 and 7 others like this.
  2. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Looking forward to this!

3. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

First thing was getting it running. Changed all of the fluids, pulled the plugs and freed up a couple of stuck valves, blew the dead roaches out of the distributor, that kind of thing. Piddled around with it a bit more and got it to fire and sputter along. Checked and found water in my new oil. Time for a new head gasket. I was real pleased with the look of the cylinders. IMAG0871.jpg

4. What are you going to do for a body.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great project, I hope all goes well and stays in budget.
    My comment to would be, probably the biggest improvement you can make to a Model A, especially something that is going to be light weight, is to upgrade your tranny.
    While you are in the mode that I see, if you consider my comment it would be a good time to really workout a better choice.
    Searches will show you a few things other guys have done from an old Volvo style 4 speed to newer 4 and 5 speed versions. Some can be made to match the torque tube while others will require a open drive shaft which ain't that hard as kits are available.
    It will just go so much better and you will enjoy driving it even more.

sko_ford and ffej like this.
  6. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

It ran better after that. Had a deep knock from down low, so I pulled the oil pan and used the tinfoil trick to adjust the bearing shims. Babbit looked good, but I was too greasy to take any pictures of that. Had to braze up some holes in the splash tray. Other than that, the internals looked clean. Endplay is in spec, too. I clamped an old Model T firewall on it to give me something to hold a temporary gas tank and the coil, stuck an old WWII surplus Jeep back seat on it and pooted around the yard. What fun. Sorry the picture is so bad, I like it like that, though. Gives an accurate impression. 9465.jpeg

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice "speed" shot!

tuckpoint likes this.
  8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Great start! If you had water in the oil look carefully for cracks running from the valve seats like this.Not unusual and can be fixed but it sucks to miss them. 100_0138.JPG

tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Figured it was time for a better gas tank. The temporary one only held about a gallon, and was zip-tied onto that old firewall, and that was c-clamped to the frame. Jacklegged is the term for that down here in GA. I bought an auxiliary air tank from a pawn shop for $10. It had about 50 feet of good hose with it, so I figure I actually came out ahead. Welded a pipe neck in it to take a flip-lid cap from a Triumph Spitfire, hit Lowes up for some plumbing supplies, slapped together a wooden platform to hold it and a copper gas line, and called it a job. (Y'all aint going to start fussing about safety, are you?) IMAG0966.jpg

10. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Don't worry, I worked out a way to hold that tank down. It'll show up in subsequent pictures. After some more spirited yard driving, it was time to do something about a body. My background is in wooden boatbuilding, so I stuck with what I know. I'm not much for plans and diagrams, so I just kind of mocked it up on the car. I used a method called strip planking. Those little planks have one concave and one convex edge, so you can lay them in a curved shape. I hope the pictures are self-explanatory. IMAG1026.jpg IMAG1034_1.jpg IMAG1036.jpg IMAG1045.jpg IMAG1051.jpg

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Looks like a fun project. Saftey schmayfty!!!

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

13. Go Man Go!
    A great and fun project.
    Keep the pics coming our way!

weps likes this.
  14. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Trimmed it up, added some laminated frames to (hopefully) keep it together, sanded it a bit (not trying to make a silk purse, here) painted it, and bolted it on. My grandmother and her siblings used to have an old cut-down they called the "Grey Ghost" back in the 30's, so I went with grey. You can see my floorboards in the body construction pictures. Made those out of 3/4" tongue and groove longleaf pine flooring scraps. The back wheels, water pump, headlights, and carburetor are from my father's old leftover stash from his Model A days. That's been one of the coolest things about this, using his old stuff. He would have liked this rig. The lights are on a modified stock Model A bracket, but nothing is wired yet except for an ignition toggle. I took 3 leaves out of the front spring, haven't messed with the back one yet. It's stiff as hell, I'll bet that Jeep seat feels right at home. The brakes give an illusion of stopping it, and the body is strictly for looks, because it doesn't block wind or mud or anything else. I can't wait to get it on the road. IMAG1133.jpg IMAG1158.jpg

15. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

That'll have to do, for now. My last picture is of the garage I keep it in. That "shade tree" in the title isn't just a cliche'. Every bit of this business has been done outside. IMAG1070_1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  16. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Man, you guys are fast. Here I was typing and uploading away, had no idea anybody had responded. Wasn't trying to be rude. The water in the oil didn't do any damage, only ran that way for a few minutes, but thank you for the heads up. I am a big fan of old Volvo stuff. One of my lingering projects is putting an old b18 and od transmission into a Spitfire, but I want to keep this project simple and cheap. If I upgrade anything, I'll do the brakes first. I'll try new pads and internals first, though. The mechanicals ought to stop fine, light as it is. Anyway, thank you all for the attention and comments.

3340, brEad, Outback and 6 others like this.
  17. ozstuff

ozstuff

wolfgang 011.jpg
    Wooden cars can look very nice.
    Oz

18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I really like your body! I am dealing with a similar problem right now-An A speedster that I dont have a body for-and never thought of that.

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I M O.... How about a shortened model A running board bracket on each side with a model A rumble seat step pad bolted to it to help getting in and out... '28-'29 are square... '30-'31 are round... H I H ...

20. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

It would look a little more "finished " and be more practical too if you built a little wooden pickup box on the back...have fun,be safe!

Desmodromic likes this.
  21. Subscribed! Me thinks the grins to dollars ratio on this one is gonna be high.

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  22. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dig budget builds! Keep at it!

23. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Time for a hood. Same construction method. The different shape of the radiator shell and body makes this a little trickier. Eyballed it again. IMAG1194.jpg IMAG1195.jpg IMAG1196.jpg IMAG1202.jpg IMAG1201.jpg

24. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Digging the popsicle stick hood!

Cosmo49 and slimcat7m3 like this.
  25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are those garage door windows in the background of the photo, or reflective signs?

26. Burkedore

Burkedore

I really like what you are doing here! Can't wait to see what comes next

27. ozstuff

ozstuff

Are those garage door windows in the background of the photo, or reflective signs?
    They are windows.
    Oz

28. ozstuff

ozstuff

And rwrj your car is shaping up very well. I like what you are doing.
    Oz

29. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Thank you. This is an end view of the strips, showing the beads and coves that allow you to plank curved shapes without having gaps on the outside, or having to painstakingly bevel the edges. I tack the seams with superglue, then coat with epoxy. Capillary action draws the epoxy in, which effectively bonds the joint. The superglue/epoxy business is something my father came up with. It's not period correct technology. In the old days, each strip would have been individually glued and temporarily nailed or screwed to a form. It took longer, but the results were pretty similar. This is during the first coat of epoxy, so it's not soaking through yet. IMAG1205_1.jpg

30. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

All of this since I started the hood is in real time, all caught up on the past progress, so updates will be coming at a slower pace. I'm adding some framing at each end of the hood encourage it to hold it's shape, and to stiffen it up some.
    IMAG1220.jpg IMAG1221.jpg