Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. madmike3434

madmike3434

Answers to this type of question would be best put in a post on the VCCA CHAT an online group and posted in the 29--32 Chevrolet section. There are people there who will know.

mike lynch

31chevymike likes this.
  2. madmike3434

madmike3434

Regarding the wheels on the 35 chev GNRS winner 2014. Those wheels were made by mike Curtis who was on the coddington show. They are based on the front horn cover of a 32 Chevrolet. I believe he has changed them for something else, due to many negative comments, but I have no pictures to show. The luggage rack on the back has also been changed from a red one back to a black satin finish colour one and now with a metal box attached to it .

They say the car was stretched 3" too 110" wheelbase , using a roadster shop frame. The body was stretched 3" too match and done thru making the cowl /firewall longer. They changed the actual firewall surface and made a new one using about a 1" bead roller. I really like that feature of the car , plus the satin flat black finish against the gloss black paint. I have a 1/4" thick 6061-T6 aluminum firewall plate already cut out to do something too it, to make it unique.

If I ever run into owner Wes Rydell or Troy Trepanier , the guy that built it, hopefully he will take a few moments to answer a couple of questions.
    mike lynch

31chevymike likes this.
  3. Looking at a barn find 32 landau phaeton 4 seater ,2 door ,folding top . All original car . In good condition
    6.5 to 7 out of 10 condition. top has had some patches sewn in , interior good . body and paint ,a few bruises here and there
    paint is good , doors open and close beautiful . Runs real nice . would have to leave it as a surviver . Just on the fence
    if I want a car that is a fair weather, Sunday driver .
    not cheap either . Whats a car like this worth in your opinion ??

4. 1600 of this model were made for 1932 . this is not the car in question ,but a Chevrolet sales ad . 32chev-1024x747.jpg

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

On the '31-32 doors, I'm pretty sure the'31 has 3 hinges compared to 2 on the '32. Just a small difference, but workable. I think the front of the window opening angle is a little diff., due to A pillar difference.

31chevymike likes this.
  6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Distance between the door hinges in the middle of the door is 11-1/4 inches. The distance between the top hinge and the hinge just below the body revel is 19-1/4 inches. I might be a skosh off, but got to be close. The distance between the 2 body revels are 1-5/8 inches. Compare these measurements to the ad in the classified when you get a hold of him (member who needs both doors).

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG Making good progress but was getting set to install kickups and found rear sill was bad so just got hold of Jim at Autowood Restorations he has it so should have it in a week or so. He also would be a good one to ask about the doors fitting since he makes all the wood parts and knows the cars literally inside and out.

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Mike, h DSC02790.JPG DSC02791.JPG DSC02792.JPG ere's the pics of the trunk hinges and support arm that are avail.

9. madmike3434

madmike3434

I don't know why they call that 32 a LANDAU PHAETON, boy they had fun with style designations back then. Its basically a 4 seater cabriolet , don't you think so ????? A 2 door 4 seater convertible sedan basically. First time I ever saw that body style in a bustle back Vicky style sedan , was a guy from the deep south at the street rod nats 1971, Memphis TENN ?? RICHARD TIEBOT was his name and car was featured in the magazines because it was unusual and a real nice car.

As to being a fair weather car, that's the beauty of this, its a convertible and has roll up side windows keeping the cold and weather out. Local guy , Jack Look, has one of these in survivor mode. Note the rear window, its used on the cabriolet and the landau only. There is a couple of people in VCCA chat who have these and as to value I have no idea as I do not follow 1932 sales and asks. I rarely look in ebay USA 1932 listings where I would get an idea of what things are selling for or not. Sorry.

Needless to say, this would make an outstanding street rod just on style alone. Can I say resto-rod . Same kind of interest as the 32 ford Vicky gets and especially the super rare B-400 .

Found this example on a google search and selling auction estimate was $25--30,000
    32 landau pha sold $25G.jpg

mike lynch

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    biggeorge likes this.
  10. madmike3434

madmike3434

Went to the VCCA CHAT site and found a local guy in Janetville Ontario with an Oshawa built car, under the online chat name of 32 confederate. He has a picture of a 32 landau phaeton as his avatar, which I copied and here is the picture........for sale or not, unknown. His name is MIKE

Studying the picture this a FISHER BODY , with 3 hinges for the long door. Cabriolets were also Fisher body. Roadsters and Phaetons were not.

mike lynch 4004.png

biggeorge likes this.
  11. Mike
    The car I am looking at is the 32 that jack has . We are close to deal.on tne car. A car like this will only ever be original once and cant see me ever hot rodding it.
    Jack and my Dad were good friends for many years. I played music with Jack for a long time as well .what to do what to do

12. madmike3434

madmike3434

It sounded like LOOKS car in your prior description. All I can say is its rare and unusual and generally price is based on that, but as you know the value of these older pre 40 cars has seriously dropped in $$$$ in recent years. If you got the money go for it as it looks to be a good car rust free , just kinda worn out on the outside. If I ever get my hands on Oshawa production figures for 1932 Chevrolets from my friend frank, i'll let you know how many they made and exported. He will be back from FLA ...EOM.

mike

13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

YUP, just checked the ad and this '32 Chevy 5 window coupe drivers door has only 2 hinges. Plus, my '31 door is squared off at the top by the upper or third hinge.

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

You may have caught my recent post about the classified ad here, but the doors ARE different. My '31 has 3 hinges, '32 has 2 as paul55 has stated earlier. DAMMITT!!!

15. madmike3434

madmike3434

I just put a WANTED POST in the VCCA CHAT wanted section....for 31 pass side coupe 5w door....see if any response

mike

31chevymike likes this.
  16. djgj74

djgj74

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike likes this.
  17. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I was missing a windshield Garnish piece and just found one on Ebay, it was listed as a 1920's 30's buick, Pontiac chevy Gm windshield garnish, you really have to hunt and look at other listings many people have no idea what year or car their parts came from.

biggeorge and 31chevymike like this.
  18. Get creative with spelling as well.
    I have found some great stuff on e bay
    Spelling chevrolot wrong.

Fern 54, jgrohio and 31chevymike like this.
  19. madmike3434

madmike3434

Saturday afternoon and site is back up yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

mike

31chevymike, Fern 54 and biggeorge like this.
  20. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Glad its back up but was hoping to have it return with some new posts, come on guys lets see some more about you cars and projects : )

31chevymike likes this.
  21. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I would post something new on my build, but I finally started my own build thread. I hear your waiting for new wood from Jim at Autowood Restorations. Glad he was able to serve your needs, because I tried to phone him a few times and the phone rang so many times, he never picked up and was not able to leave a message either. For a second there, I thought he was out of business. Jim supplied me with a complete main floor in my '31, way back in 1997. Here's the photo: New Wood Floor.jpg

biggeorge likes this.
  22. madmike3434

madmike3434

apparently jim at autowood, you have to get him first thing in the morning, before he starts up.

You cannot get anything accomplished if you spend all day answering the phone ? Think he needs a secretary that can quote prices on telephone on complete kits and individual pieces. Dumb wav to do business and be successful and satisfy customer demand.

Heck there are people out there waiting 1-2 years for their orders to be shipped , so I have read on the VCCA CHAT web site.
    My understanding is that he makes 10 of something at same time. I guess he makes the high demand stuff the most. No sense producing the super slow sellers.

mike lynch " the real and original madmike3434"

31chevymike likes this.
  23. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

He has someone helping him now and is getting caught up. He has been good getting me taken care of. Still hard to get on phone I just call weird times and often.

biggeorge and 31chevymike like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have finally gotten a friend interested in helping with the wood on my roadster. He owns a high end cabinet shop and has a CNC machine. So if I can come up with some good patterns and measurements we'll give its whirl.

31chevymike, Fern 54 and jgrohio like this.
  25. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I hope this will get the pic started in 2011 35 chevy006.JPG

26. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Very solid project flatmotor40, good luck with your project and look forward to seeing more pics on your build here! Not the real and original "madmike3434", but 31chevymike. There seems to be some minor tension that mad mike has toward me for some, unforseen reason. Could be that possibly my name happens to be Mike... Didn't think this would be a problem...

27. madmike3434

madmike3434

31 chevymike..............let me explain the THE REAL AND ORIGINAL MADMIKE3434 , i have started using this because somebody else a , VIDEO GAMER is using madmike3434 also. When I googled my * madmike3434 * I started running into him in a search. Too differentiate us, I created the real and original TAG ON.

Everything that gets typed into a post and signed is grabbed up by a BOT and placed into their search engines. Go ahead type in ----------- 31chevymike and see what comes up?"

I have used madmike3434 on the net since 2001 when we purchased a computer and entered ebay and many model rail road kits groups. I also use the name on various car group websites like this one . I even created madmike3435 in one group.

How U interpret that there is tension between you and I , is dumbfounding

mike lynch........" the real and original madmike3434 " :D

28. madmike3434

madmike3434

HUUUUUM, first time I can remember you saying you have a roadster..........what year ect

mike lynch " the real and original madmike3434"

29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Seriously, you just DON'T realize that you are jabbing at other members when you respond to them occasionally. For the most part, I don't receive jabbing responses from any other member, it's only coming from YOU. An example, my post that I just did yesterday and part of your response... "You cannot get anything accomplished if you spend all day answering the phone ? Think he needs a secretary that can quote prices on telephone on complete kits and individual pieces. Dumb wav to do business and be successful and satisfy customer demand." Mike, it just rubbed me the wrong way. I dig this Bowtie site very much, seeing other members post photos and stories of their Chevy rides. So if there's a chance that you DO NOT RESPOND IN ANY NEGATIVE WAY from my answer to you, we can move on from this and continue to enjoy what this thread has to offer.

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"I have finally gotten a friend interested in helping with the wood on my roadster. He owns a high end cabinet shop and has a CNC machine. So if I can come up with some good patterns and measurements we'll give its whirl.

HUUUUUM, first time I can remember you saying you have a roadster..........what year ect

mike lynch " the real and original madmike3434""

A '26. I started with just a body thatI had seen setting for many years. I probably firs saw it in the '80s. 100_1852.jpg 100_1851.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017