Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51Truc, Nov 1, 2017.

1. 51Truc

51Truc

Hey Guys,
    I ordered a short shaft water pump and fan from Patrick's at the end of July after being told it would ship in a couple of days. After a week I called back to ck status and was told it would ship in a couple of days. My credit card was charged after a week of ordering. After being told it would ship in a couple of days numerous more times by both Patrick and Phillip, I cancelled my order and requested a credit. They told me no problem and should see the credit soon. Well it's now it's Nov 1, still no credit and still being told it will be taken care of. Buy from them at your own risk!!!!

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of threads about Patrick's. Contact your credit card company ASAP and get your money back if its not too late. Based on all the horror stories you'll never see the pump.

slack and loudbang like this.
  3. 51Truc

51Truc

Already tried with cc company, to late. Told both Patrick and a Phillip this was coming if I didn't see a credit

4. 5window

5window

Won't see the pump. won't see the money.

loudbang likes this.

5. If your cc people won't make it right, give them the boot. Any time I had a conflict like that mine has backed me up.

6. 5window

5window

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

8. alchemy

alchemy

Hopefully 51Truc has now learned the power of the HAMB can prevent these problems. This community is great for posting about the reputation of parts vendors, as well as builders and car sellers.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

got scammed here on the hamb, but I didn't go to the bad guys profile page first,
    would have told me he only had 2 posts... now I check it first thing... 100 posts usually means the guy is ok or he would be hiding by now... indeed buyer beware !

10. dan31

dan31

Once they bill your card and you don't see it within 5-6 days then cancel with the credit card company . Their not allowed to bill until they ship it.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  11. Tough shitski ! With all the threads about Partric's, Ecklers, Hoffman Group and a bunch of others, people still can't do a search of these companies to get feedback. Maybe someday they will learn.

norms30a likes this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well often people are pretty busy and don't start an investigation about a seller beforehand, rather they assume that the seller will behave ethically.

Unfortunately it seems now that we all have to start wasting time this way if we don't want to get stung.
    I'm sure each person who gets gypped does learn.

loudbang and 5window like this.
  13. Never dealt with Patrick's, but they've been around a long time. They used to have a decent reputation. What went wrong?

14. 5window

5window

Pretty damn much everything.

504640, loudbang and Beanscoot like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Your credit card company will initiate a "chargeback". They might have to wait a month, no more than three months but they'll do it, that's one of their responsibilities. Whattaya mean "too late"? I bet if you owed them $500 they wouldn't take it kindly if you said it was "too late"? I'll have to try that.

This is one reason to maintain a credit account even if you don't use it. If a check or debit or cash for payment, there's not much recourse.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what I have seen on other board they are either trying to do too much with too little help and or don't order batches of certain parts until they get several orders. They always seem to be out of the 3.55 ring and pinion sets for AD Chevy pickups. That's an item you would think they can sell at least 20 a week of if not more. Same on the short water pump. There is a constant and continual demand for those. Maybe they just wait until they get enough orders to get a bulk discount rather than placing orders to keep a reasonable number on the shelf to ship when orders come in. I bought mail order parts years ago when you either phoned the order in or mailed it in from an outfit that advertised in the Back of Hot Rod and service was hell for slow. Had someone at a rod run tell me that they ordered the parts in from the distributor when they got your order and had to wait until they received the parts before shipping them. Parts were great, price was more than great but service was slow.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I bet Patrick's suppliers don't give him credit, which means he has to scare up the money first, then pay the supplier, then send the part (or not).

ems customer service likes this.
  18. Show up there and demand your pump or $$ back!!!! Us H.A.M.B.ers work too hard for our money!!!!Bruce.

19. LAROKE

LAROKE

From Rob English at OldGMCtrucks -

Patrick had a thriving business for many years. His acquisition of trucks for restoration and parts was almost legendary and he had a huge pile of both the first time I visited his business. Then he bought a building around the corner (mile or so from his place) and started a turn-key truck restoration shop where you would either provide a truck, or, pick one from his yard and he'd restore it and sell it to you for about $40k. He would put 302s and 3:55 gears and disc brakes on, but I found some of his techniques for things less reliable that I would like; single master cylinder with booster for example. In any case what he thought would be a thriving business became a ball and chain on his wallet, but being a dreamer he wouldn't cut his losses and focus on his core business that got him there. As a result a series of sell-off auctions and other last minute save the business efforts all seemed to fall short and now he's relegated to selling parts then going out and buying them or having them made to fill the orders. That is a business technique that has never worked for anybody and he's no exception. So for the past decade or so he's lumped along with expenses exceeding income and therein is the reason for these delays.

He's a really good guy, but over the years as he's aged and gone along, he's not kept up with times as he needed to and he failed to recognize where his strengths propelled the business and problems killed it. He just went along believing betters days are ahead and that would only come if he contracted to just the 3 family members (himself, his wife, and his son) he likely could run it profitably. He's lost the exclusivity he had on the Fenton headers and now they are all over the web from a variety of suppliers. He sunk insane money into a polished stainless steel dual exhaust system for trucks that sold one or two units. It's things like that that have handcuffed him.

You'll not meet a nicer person to talk to than Patrick, but over time as trouble has crept in, the lies from all three of them just roll off like they are sociopaths without remorse knowing those parts aren't coming for [fill-in-the-blank] irrespective of what they are saying to the customer.

I'm sorry because he really is a good guy at his core who has done a lot for our hobby, but once competitors overran his market, there was no going back and that resto shop was the final nail in the coffin from my viewpoint.

20. 5window

5window

Thanks for the explanation-long time in coming. I am sorry, too. The problem is, you just can't take people's money with no intention of ever sending what they've purchased. That's just immoral, illegal and theft. There is absolutely no justification for that.

lothiandon1940, Cosmo50, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  21. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You take folks money, you send what they bought. Stand up ,be a man

41rodderz and Cosmo50 like this.
  22. LAROKE

LAROKE

Agreed! No justification. Was just providing additional info I found elsewhere.

lothiandon1940 and 5window like this.
  23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"you just can't take people's money with no intention of ever sending what they've purchased."

I wonder if the seller initially intends to fulfill the orders, but has not yet recognized the pattern that he can't.

24. Budget36

Budget36

I'm willing to bet Patricks has lost credit with their suppliers and are dealing with COD, means they can't stock up...of course they have probably taken the X-amount of orders to stock up, spent the money on something else...and here we are.

They were top notch in the 90's when I found the internet and was ordering for '55-9 Chevy PU's, glad I only have one left and don't need much now;)

Hemiman 426 likes this.
  25. 5window

5window

It's been going on for like, 6+ years. They must be V e r y --- S l o w ----- L e a r n e r s.

59 restomod corvette likes this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yes, slow learners who lack the ability to foresee the consequences of their actions. But that's just one of the possibilities. I will now stop being an armchair psychiatrist.

27. XXL__

XXL__

Or quick learners... sounds like at least some of their sales are pure profit. :-(

28. mountainman2

mountainman2

You need to establish a fraud claim with the CC company and provide them with some of the problems that others have had with this vendor. Past threads show a pattern that the CC company will consider fraud (no intent to deliver). The time frame for a chargeback on a fraud claim is much longer than a routine "item not received" or "inferior product" claim. Been down that road on both sides.

29. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

it's weird timing that you guys are having issues with patricks because in my time on the HAMB i haven't heard much talk about him. when my Father built the 28 roadster I now have he bought a bunch of flathead stuff from him. i'm now in the process of swapping the motor and needed a few things. I saw patrick had a website (back 25 years ago it was a small paper catalog) and had a couple questions so I shot him an email. his wife passed the email on to him and he called me. was helpful with my questions and told me he no longer dealt with flathead stuff.

Are you guys just going to the website and ordering?? seems to me maybe the problem is that he still has a website that you can order from yet he isn't actually selling anymore??

30. 5window

5window