Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Mild Custom shoebox coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tony Ray, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Well after my big find with the winning ticket, i moved on to check out what else was in there .. happy to report i did find something almost as exciting as my big 11 cents win..
    IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1612.JPG IMG_1615.JPG

RockinRivi, 55Deso, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

And i thought this was pretty cool..folded up inside the owners manual was a newspaper clipping. makes me wonder if he saw this then went to the dealer, or someone kept it until they finally bought the coupe.
    IMG_1617.JPG

3. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

The Lincoln 9" rear end will fit just fine under your 51. It measures 58''s axle flange to axle flange. That is what I'm running in my 51Vick. I also used 69 Ford rotors in the front, the 69 bearings fit the 51 spindles and give you 4 wheel disc brakes. You will have to change to a new seal however, maybe 86 cents. I also used the stock Lincoln proportioning with a Corvette master cylinder.

4. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks ! That's what it looks like I may end up doing! Just got to see how much the borg warner t 10 trans is worth. If it seems like a even swap I'll get the rear.

5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

noticed while i was breaking into my glove box, there are 4 eye bolts? sticking out of the floor in front of the back seat. Anyone have an idea what they could be for? IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1600.JPG

They all seem to be spaced the same distance from seat and apart. Im not sure what he woulda used them for except to tie something down, and i didnt notice and nuts sticking out of the button through the undercoating. Im guessing they arnt factory. Anyone see anything like these in the coupes before?

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think the eye-bolts are for seat belt anchors, although they are kinda strangely placed. I really like your car; it's very clean. But then, I am kinda biased.
    1951Ford.jpg

RockinRivi, '49 Ford Coupe and Pipes like this.
  7. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Love your coupe!

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the compliment man! After I had this car for about 10 years, I decided I was going to build it's replacement. I bought a nice stock '36 3 window out of Texas, drove it back to Minnesota, and proceeded to build the "car of my dreams"; a '36 3-Window with a 276" Merc, 39 transmission and brakes; the whole "hot rod" deal. I was going to sell the '51, but for some reason, I held on to it. After about 5 years, I had had it with the '36 and sold it. Luckily, I had kept the '51. All in all, it a much more "civilized" car, and since I like to drive my cars (instead of looking at them), I am very happy with my decision. It's also kind of surprising, but the general public seems to love this car; I get more compliments and question than I ever had with the '36 or any of the (ahem) Corvettes. It seems people relate much more closely to restored cars than Hot Rods. (Sorry guys.)

I hope you enjoy your car as much as I have mine. I have a bunch of other cars, but after 30 years. this one is still my favorite.

9. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

Great thread!!!.... I didn’t realize there was thus much excitement for shoeboxes on here. I drive a ‘50 Fordor, working on a ‘51 Tudor and would like to find a coupe just to round out the fleet. Your car looks nice and a great price.
    This is kinda weird about you glove box find.......an 11cent ticket and an Owners Manual. I just bought an Owners Manual for my ‘51..... for $11.11cts......enjoy your car.......Mark

RockinRivi and Pipes like this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

Primitive form of child restraints!o_O

11. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

ha!!!!!!!

fms427 likes this.
  12. Thanks for including the shots of the manual, I have never seen one and appreciated the official technical Ford information. I noticed they recommended 20W oil for above 32 degrees.
    The eyebolts look like seat belt points, but who knows, tho the child restraint thought is a good one.
    And I noticed the price of the Vicky new was $2059.
    Of all the many hotrods and customs I've owned, I like my S'box the best as its so useable for everyday driving. Plus gets lots of great comments, usually "My Father drove one of those"

13. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

yeah ,i was pretty stoked about finding it in the glove box, and it being complete. its the first time ive seen one, though i admit i havent really been looking ,so dont know how common place they really ar. I had to laugh when i say the break in period for the new fords. can imagine the dont go over 50 mph for the first 300 miles or what ever it was!

14. While a 51 has just a touch too much chrome trim for my tastes, I love it. Did you ever get all the paint buffed? Got an updated photo?
    My old 49.....350 SBC, 350 turbo/maverick 3.00, 8". Flipped the spindle supports, cut the coils and used 3" blocks in the back. I also used a 70s 1.25" Trans-am front stabilizer...the thing drove like a 'vette. My brother and his ex clowning around in the photo. rockboxnscotty.jpg

Chavezk21, brEad, RockinRivi and 2 others like this.
  15. Latigo

Latigo

Great find. Love your coupe in relative stock form. The newspaper clipping is from a later date. Tad Burness created a series of drawings of cars and sold it to newspapers to publish. Usually ran weekly near the automotive section back when folks read newspapers.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also found the factory owners manual in my glove box. It's just like yours, except it has an interesting notation on the last page. If you can't make it out, it says "got car July 3 1951" (the "1951" is circled). This date agrees with the original invoice that I received with the car. In addition, I got the original order form, delivery report, actual warranty certificate, and several other original documents. Also in the glove box was a 1950 Minnesota road map, and a Minnesota drivers manual from 1954.
    img010 (2).jpg

17. They look very much like the original seat belt anchors I removed from the floor of one of my '63 Ford Galaxies.
    DSCF1731.JPG

18. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks for that info!!

19. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks! I first thought that might be what it was, due to the placement but I have never seen any like it. I’m going to have to look into this more!

20. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That’s awesome!

21. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

As far as an updated picture, I got about 90% done with the compound, it been busy with work and home stuff so need to finish that. My buddies dad who helped me pick up the coupe days he has a few other tricks to show me to get it brightened up. Have to see what happens. For now here’s a picture after it rained..
    Before:
    0B8915FD-EC9B-4D9F-8CE7-8DCC7F893319.jpeg
    After:
    C91F2CA9-6854-41A0-9B87-D36F90ECED5F.jpeg

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember correctly, some coupes were called "business" rather than "club" designation. The business coupe had no backseat, just rubber mats covering the area and most likely eyelets to tie down "freight". Pipes' coupe might have started life as a business coupe and the backseat was added later. That's my guess.

RockinRivi likes this.
  23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If these are for seat belts, they are definitely not factory, not in '51

24. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I thought about that, but I’ve read that the business coupes had a stationary side window. Mine pivots open like a wing window, plus it’s titled as a custom club coupe.

RockinRivi likes this.
  25. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Trying to identify this Borg Warner T 10 trans..does anyone have a clue? im guessing its 1963?
    IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1789.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1785.jpg IMG_1783.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

512manual.JPG
    Its interesting that the cover shows a Crestliner that never existed

catdad49 likes this.
  27. Carz4sale

Carz4sale
    from New york

28. Carz4sale

Carz4sale
    from New york

This is mine good luck on your build

Pipes likes this.
  29. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Looks great and thanks!

30. allredskylar

allredskylar

I just picked up this 49 club coupe someone put it on a 95 gmc jimmy chassis it's coming off that frame and going on an original one soon[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brEad, RockinRivi and Pipes like this.