Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What Clear Tape To Seal Windshield And Cowl Vent?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Oct 9, 2017.

1. I'm heading up to Jalopyrama next weekend and the weather isn't looking too good. It will be a four hour drive each way for me and I know my windshield and cowl vent leak. I don't need water dripping on me or worse, running across my dash, gauges and wiring.

So I'm looking for suggestions on non-permanent, waterproof, clear tape that will absolutely not peel the paint off when I remove it.

I've found the clear Gorilla tape, but I'm not sure it won't peel my paint.
    http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-clear-repair-duct-tape

Any other suggestions, recommendations or experience? Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Why does it need to be clear? Masking tape is more likely to leave your paint intact, and you can build up several layers, so it's possible that it might slow down the leak. Remove it when you get there.

I just drilled drain holes in my floor, and I change my socks after I get there. I would not worry too much about water on the wiring, as long as it has a way to drain off the wiring.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the cowl vent used to leak on my 40. I put a new cowl vent weatherstrip in it. might make more sense to fix the leaks? how do you wash your car without filling the insides with water?

scrap metal 48 and 30tudor like this.
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Get the Gorilla tape in clear. The stuff is amazing.
    [​IMG]

Jalopy Joker likes this.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What about the clear protective film they put on newer vehicles where they are prone to rock chips?

Bugguts and D-Russ like this.
  6. Why not some clear (or body color) vinyl body wrap?!?! That stuff should make a good seal, especially over the cowl vent.

D-Russ likes this.
  7. A quick temporary, cheap and waterproof solution is duct tape of a similar color.
    It seals better than almost anything, stays on in rain, peels ok if you go slow, and any residue new or old will wipe right off with mineral spirits without harming paint or rubber.

If you are worried about peeling any paint that was not stuck down well, just peel slowly while holding the tape folded back on itself, do not pull straight up from the paint or you could lift some weak stuff.
    If you want to be super cautious, you can keep wetting it with a rag sopping wet with cheap mineral spirits to soften the glue as you peel slowly. I use it like that a lot for things like keeping a tarp in place till the rain passes. It was a lifesaver a couple months ago just as we were close to our destination at Bonneville.
    A window regulator popped, letting the glass fall down. We managed to pull it almost back up, but short an inch. Duct tape held it up and sealed the opening to keep out the flying dust, and the rain on the return trip.
    It looked like a Jed Clampet repair but it worked perfectly until I could fix it at home a couple thousand miles away.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    lucky ink likes this.
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you live near an ice arena? Go to the pro shop and buy a roll of clear sock tape. It's a stretchy clear tape that hockey players use to secure shin pads to their legs. It's got all the qualities you're looking for--very versatile stuff. clear sock tape.jpg

9. dan31

dan31

I would just use blue painters tape. Why take the chance of hurting your paint?. If it leaks a little it's no big deal,hell they leaked back in the 30's and 40's when they there new and the car still survived.

D-Russ likes this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

Duct tape worked for me sealing my windshield in my old '29 roadster......but I used it on gel coat

11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I think Squirrel has the easiest solution. If it's only temporary why go crazy. My '46 Woodie leaks over the tailgate and when I know it's going to rain I coat the area in Blue tape and never had an issue. If it's not raining when you get to the show just remove the tape. I would not use the Gorilla Tape, you might remove your paint when you go to remove it.

5window and D-Russ like this.
  12. It's not going to rain for the Jalopyrama.:D;)

13. The reason I was hoping to find tape that's clear is because I think anything else will look like crap. I suppose the blue painters tape is sort of close to the body color, but I don't think it's waterproof.

In addition to the wiring, I really don't want the carpet to get soaked and start mildewing.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  14. I bought two different new gaskets for the cowl vent and they were both so thick I couldn't get the vent closed. It was so bad I thought I was going to break the cowl vent handle. So I bought a third seal and cut down the thickness about 1/16 of an inch and glued it in. Now the vent lid will close, but it leaks a little. The bigger issue is the windshield.

Moriarity likes this.
  15. oldolds

oldolds

I liked the idea of using vinyl wrap. It comes off without a lot of hassle especially when its fresh.

D-Russ likes this.
  16. cdubz03

cdubz03
    from Seattle

Throw 3-5 coats of carnuba wax on the paint, then tape it. I bet it will peel off no problem. Might even peel whilst your doing 40mph lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Use a low tack automotive tape in your color then use a clear vinyl tape over that tape to make it water proof. Maybe look into frisked film (available at art supply stores) or rtape medium tack at60.

18. there is a product called seal 'n peel by dap. it comes in a caulk tube and is clear as glass. i live in a drafty 100+ year old farm house and use this to caulk the windows in the winter. it could be put on or next to the gasket then close the vent and window. it comes off easily if it is not spread too thin. an 1/8" bead or more that can be grabbed with a needle nose pliers will pull right off. DSCF0072.JPG home depot sells it

19. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Bring a thirsty dog with you.

20. What about vinyl electrical tape? Seems like it would seal quite well and peels off very easily.

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

[​IMG]

OK it's a joke, I don't really mean it. Seriously.

D-Russ and dan31 like this.
  22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you really want something clear, California Car Cover makes a product called something like Road Wrap. It's clear and will not harm the paint if it's taken off in 10 days.

D-Russ likes this.
  23. I'd try the clear hockey tape. I've used it on fast RC boats and it works well. Never had it pull paint. Just remove like you would masking.

D-Russ likes this.
  24. Graystoke

Graystoke

That is what I used one time, and it worked perfect.

D-Russ likes this.
  25. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've seen a bunch of cowl vents sealed with silicone.

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

How about a big, thick coat of wax on the painted surfaces and lay down any tape right over the wax...wax that hasn't been removed yet. Should peel right off without damage to the paint.

D-Russ likes this.
  27. canning

canning

Comes in blue, also very close to color of D-Russ's vicky. Years ago kids' Tae Kwon Do instructor used it for tips on belts.

28. Budget36

Budget36

Go to the HW store an get a roll of water leak tape, kinda like an electrical tape, but doesn't stretch much.

It's used to fix leaks in drains,etc, that have no real pressure.
    Peels off without issues.

D-Russ likes this.
  29. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Electrical tape. Waterproof, removes easily. Who cares how it looks? Take the tape off when you get there.
    SPark

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

enclosed trailer

wraymen and da34guy like this.