Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Joe Bailon HOF Legends Interview: The Early Years, Plus, Barris & D'Agostino !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

THE LEGENDARY JOE BAILON not only built one of the most iconic customs of all-time (Miss Elegance), but created "Candy Apple Red"...one of the most unique paint colors ever ! In fact, my INVICTA that you see in the upper left hand corner of the HOF Legends Site IS painted Candy Apple Red !!

[​IMG]

We got together at the 32nd Annual KKOA LEAD SLED SPECTACULAR in Salina, Kansas, and in his first HOF Legends Interview, Joe takes us back to his early years and fills us in on how it all started.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE: John D' Agostino suggested that Joe join George Barris along with he and myself for a First Time Ever "Three Legend Interview Session"...and it was FANTASTIC, with more George, Joe, and, Johnny D stories to be heard in the months to come !

SO, simply click-on here , relax, and enjoy Joe Bailon, George Barris, and, John D'Agostino in one of the most unique HOF Legends Sessions in History !

(YOU WILL LOVE Joe's version of how he learned to drive to begin with ! It's hilarious !! )

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

PS: If you've got a favorite JOE BAILON story...let's hear it !

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Just to say, we met Joe at the San francisco Hot Rod Show in Cow palace several years ago,..... A real gentleman .

4TTRUK

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very cool - Thanks

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL HAMBERS...

A TRIBUTE TO JOE "CANDY APPLE RED" BAILON:

I HAVE REVISED this Interview Page featuring Joe's story of his "Early History", and added a Special Tribute to Joe that you will all enjoy. It's truly a fitting tribute to this Pioneer/Legend who built some of the most unique & fantastic customs on the Planet...and was a true gentleman.

PLUS, hearing John D'Agostino's comments on the importance of both Joe & George, and, George's input on how important the media is in keeping the world of Rods & Customs alive, is just as on-target today as when we did this Interview Session on July 29th, 2012. And, if you didn't hear it before, well it's a part of our R&C History that you will learn from.

If you have time, check-it-out...and, as always share your personal stories of Joe with us if you had the pleasure of meeting him through the years. Here's the Direct Link to Joe's story: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage173.html

R.I.P. Joe, and, George...you will never be replaced, and will always be remembered.
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Jalopy Joker and Sancho like this.
  7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Thanks!! A friend and I ran across a Merc allegedly Joe did out in rural east Texas. Kinda rough shape, owner had plans to redo it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

willowbilly3,

WoW ! That is very cool ! Hopefully it'll be "brought back to life" just as Joe created it.

Joe was amazing in the craftsmanship he applied to all his cars. Even at his advanced age at the time, you can detect that passion in his voice during the Interview: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage173.html

Thanks again for these GREAT pix !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalop Joker,

Your welcome...thanks for taking the time to check-it-out. When Joe was at the KKOA Leadsleds in Salina, he always took the time to answer any questions that the folks that came by his table in the Celebrity Booth would ask. Even in the triple-digit July heat he was always kind to everyone.

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I DIDN'T MENTION THIS here earlier, but Manuel Arteche' who owned & built the "INVICTA" grew up in Auburn. CA. and as a young boy used to hang around Joe's Shop.

Joe took him "under his wing" as it were, and that's where Manuel learned the basics of being a creative, good builder, and, in addition, an expert upholsterer...so good in fact, that he was named "Builder of the Year" at the 1992 Sacramento Autorama. And, was also one of the early starters helping Rich & Penny in West Coast Kustoms.

BELOW IS A pic of the "INVICTA" when I showed it for the first time in the mid-west at the St. Louis "World of Wheels" Show in 2001...where it won "Best In Class" & "Best Low Rider":
    [​IMG]

Thanks Joe, thanks Manuel...may you both R.I.P.

To listen to Joe's "Early Years" Interview, if you've not heard it yet, here's the Direct Link:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage173.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

SPECIAL NOTE:

Got a great eMail from John D'Agostino . He said to thank all of the Hamber's that have enjoyed listening to this part of Joe's history. John knew Joe very well, and had a number of cars that won awards from Joe through the year's.

Like I do...John sincerely misses Joe, and George and was glad that we were all able to preserve this Interview session for all current, and, future R&C friends & fans to hear on the HOF Legends Site. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage173.html

ALSO, John has gotten a lot of eMails from the R&C crowd in Norway & Sweden ! John, always an "Ambassador" for kustoms Worldwide, will be a Featured Guest in Oslo this weekend for the big Oslo Motor Show ! Here's a copy of the ad/flyer that he sent me so you could see it here on the H.A.M.B.
    upload_2017-10-23_23-3-43.png

AND, thanks to ALL of the really GREAT Hamber's in that area of the World ! Your love of "American Iron" & our R&C Culture is fantastic ! If you go to the show, be sure to see John and say "hello"...he is one cool kustom Legend & Pro that you will not want to miss spending some time with !

Best to all,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net