Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rochester G2c carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1946caddy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I've decided to use a small base 2gc carburetor on my 8AB flathead but I'm having trouble finding the correct year of Rochester to look for. All the parts houses what to know the make, year and engine size to order a rebuilt one.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Actually, I think it's 2GC not G2c, but that's not important. I have a 215 Olds aluminum 215 V-8 in my T roadster and it has what I think you're referring to as the "small base" version. I could get base measurements tomorrow if that would help? And, oh, the 215 Olds were a pretty short run....'61 to '63 or '64 if I recall correctly. They were used in the Olds F-85. A parts store might also look at Buick Specials and Pontiac Tempests of the same years, since they used a 215 as well. The Buick version of the engine is substantially different and I don't know what version of the engine Pontiac used.

Lynn

loudbang likes this.
  3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The places I checked didn't have any listings for 60's cars.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Small base 2GC Rochesters were extremely common on many applications from the mid '50s through at least the '60s...and maybe a bit beyond. Then the larger base models were introduced.

The main difference between applications is jet sizes and choke configuration. So most any used carb that is in generally good condition could be rebuilt for your purposes.

You might try contacting Carb King, here on the HAMB. He is the the most knowledgeable carb guy I can think of and can either fix you up or tell you more about where and how to get what you need.

By the way, I adapted a 2GC from a 'mid '60s Buick 300 V8 to my straight eight Buick and it works great. The old two bbl Stromberg was a PITA.

Ray

loudbang likes this.

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I do need the small base version as I plan on using the stock intake and adapter from Dashman. I would also prefer not to have a manual choke. Think I'll check some of the wrecking yards for at least a core.
    http://dashman.net/product.html?id=258

6. Small 2 G C 's were on 283's, 327 / 210 in late 60's. Lastly on 307's
    Pontiac used them for Tri-Power center carbs, but don't bother asking for that at the 'Zone.

czuch likes this.
  7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I usually ordered one for an early 60s pickup because I wanted a manual choke. If you want an auto choke, one for a mid 60s 283 car should fill the bill. I think all the small base used a divorced choke arrangement but I could be wrong.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one on the '51 Merc engine in my '51 Ford and am very happy with it. What I did was buy 4 or 5 core small base carbs, selected the one that fit best (I think I could have used any of them) and rebuilt it. You have to mount the carb backwards, and everything falls into place, except for the choke cable, which ends up on the wrong side and works backwards. I have mine on a bored out Canadian Mercury aluminum manifold that was set up for an automatic choke. Although I wasn't planning on it, I ended up using the automatic choke on the carb. The Mercury heater tube had to be cut down a bit, and then it fit perfectly into the choke on the Rochester. On the attached picture, you can see the choke heat tube on the far side of the carb, and the stock throttle linkage on the near side.

I would consider finding a used Mercury 4 bolt manifold and forgoing the adapter. Not only will it flow better, but the carb can be mounted lower that will make hooking things up much easier. As I said, the fuel line and throttle link just fell into place. I haven't used one, but I would expect that adapter would raise the carb at least an inch complicating everything. The small base 2GC bolts right on the Mercury manifold, but the throttle bores are about 1/8" smaller. I bought a "broach" and bored out my manifold, using just my table top drill press. It was easy with the aluminum manifold. If you are interested in this approach, PM me and I can give you the details. I also have a couple of Mercury manifolds that I would part with. They are cast iron, however, and shipping costs would probably make it a lot cheaper to find one locally.

IMG_0977.JPG

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0451.JPG IMG_0453.JPG
    Many small base 2GC Carbs used integrated chokes, especially the earlier versions. The Buick 300 carb I used had a water heated choke element, which is kind of interesting for some applications, but I converted it to manual choke on my straight eight. I had to use an adapter as the '38 Buick carb was three bolt base.

Ray

tubman likes this.
  10. rjones35

rjones35

I got kits for mine at Oreillys for a 63 chevy truck I think. I just kept looking at the kits until I found one that had the right looking gaskets. Maybe you need a new parts store.

11. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Try Vintage Speed in Florida, they have an on line catalogue

12. I bought about a dozen on ebaY before I realized I needed Stromberg WW carbs instead of Rochester 2Gs for my Mysterion clone. Had to buy that many to be able to assemble 6 identical ones. Amazing the subtle changes the mfgrs make to carbs over the years. Get one on ebaY and kit it. No problem and you will save many, many shekels. Parts house guys are just computer readers nowadays. If you can't tell them whether it has power seats, power steering, A/C, Rich Corinthian Leather upholstery, they can't find the part you need for your street rod.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Do yourself a favor and call Larry Fulton @ Hot Rod Carburetion, Great Falls, Mt.
    He's got a shop full of those things.
    Tell him I said to call. He'll fix you up.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of the ones Charlie Price sets up start as Jeeps.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Presumably, the Dauntless V6, (née Buick 225)......

Ray