Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Damn,I hate it when someone says nice rat rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 27, 2017.

1. I went to the office supply store to pickup up some printer ink for the shop and as I got out of the car a guy rides by and gives me a thumbs up and says,"Nice rat rod"

I cringed but said,"Thanks" and went about my business on the way back to the shop at the stop light I make eye contact with a young lady sitting next to me in a convertible BMW and she said,"I like your rat rod",again,I bit my lip and say thanks.

Is everything that is not shiny now considered a Rodent Rod ? HRP

upload_2017-9-27_16-13-35.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

3. 65ny

65ny

Only to the uninformed. You can think the Welderup guys for the confusion. Sweet car by the way...

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ladyhrp, els and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. The great unwashed have nary a clue.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

HRP, it does suck, but at least they're acknowledging something. Television and journalists, who usually are also clueless, are a big part of the confusion. It used to bug me and a few times I tried to educate, when it was possible. But as time went on, I just started to smile and say, "Thanks.".

You also have to remember, in their world of cookie cutter, steel coffins, being able to acknowledge someone living in another "zone", is more of a treat for them, than it is to you. That guy and gal will tell someone what they saw and it'll feel good. Which is what they felt, even for a few minutes. There you are, expressing yourself through your Hot Rod. Expressing your........ freedom. They'll never really feel that.

6. 48stude

48stude

Just this past Sunday , while at a car show my truck was referred to as a ratrod. I'm glad they didn't stop to chat.
    The Brickyard River Festival is held in the small town of New Cumberland ,WV. So you will get a lot of people that aren't very knowledgeable to browse the car show. I really didn't give it much thought. Bill

mrbeetle, ladyhrp, els and 2 others like this.
  7. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

ugh, right there w/ you

48stude, ladyhrp, els and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

It's called "IGORANCE"
    Just consider the source...........

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Danny, let's see if we can start something ... next time somebody "rat rods" you, correct them, pointing out "no, no - this is a 'Henry Rod', because it has a real Ford part or 2 on it". Then, all the civilians will run around Henrying everything that doesn't shine, like '42 Buicks & cornbinder trucks ....

10. Like my daddy had a Chevy just like that but is was green and a truck.:rolleyes: HRP

norms30a, kiwijeff, 48stude and 4 others like this.
  11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I am all for this, since my middle name is Henry :D

302GMC, kiwijeff, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  12. jim snow

jim snow

Danny, just smile and wave. Snowman

13. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

My paint is giving up too. 20170824_125142.jpg

Such an incorrect and overused term to describe anything without shiny paint.
    It saddens me but as someone mentioned earlier, television and paper media have entrenched the idea into the general public.
    Look at the bright side.
    For a moment those admirers had to look up from their cell phone. Just for a moment...

14. I always refer to my old sedan as a beater,just sounds right. HRP

15. CBurne7

CBurne7

daniel wilson, els, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  16. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, love those!
    It was exactly the same only different! :)

Okie Pete, els, ladyhrp and 1 other person like this.
  17. People are dipshits and they believe what they watch on the wanker car shows on TV.

Okie Pete, els, WiredSpider and 4 others like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the English language is ever evolving. new words get added to the dictionary every year. the term Rat Rod was coined by Hot Rod people to mean a certain thing. now it is a popular term used by Hot Rod people and civilians alike and the meaning has changed. in the vintage bicycle world a rat rod bike is one that does not use all the correct parts, with rust and condition having nothing to do with anything.

I don't care what people call my cars, just don't call me late for dinner.

els, Pufff, Budget36 and 4 others like this.
  19. People don't know, they aren't hot rodders. So what?
    If they are complimenting you, take it as such.It's really not very important is it? I've never understood folks who LOOK for problems.
    What's important is having fun and the satisfaction of building and owning a cool car!

els, i.rant, Countn'Carbs and 10 others like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

What he^ said!!!!
    I'm getting to old to be starting arguments..... :(

302GMC, els, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  21. Squirrel said this in another thread -
    " people who talk like that really have no idea what they are talking about so it really doesn't matter what they say anyway"

image.jpeg

norms30a, Okie Pete, els and 6 others like this.
  22. what is igorance?

els, wojojo, Thor1 and 9 others like this.
  23. I got that just last Saturday-From a car guy! I had to educate him and tell him that it wasn't built using an axe, and there are no plumbing fittings used in the steering system. Nowadays people will call anything that is more than 10 years old with an odd coloured replacement fender a "Rat rod", when we all know it is a "turd box".

els, kiwijeff, ladyhrp and 1 other person like this.
  24. Its just a name. They don't even what a rat rod is.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always figured that there was a minimum number of non automotive parts stuck on one to make it a real rat rod. Still my truck will never hit the road until it is finished with shiny paint in an effort to save some clueless individual's life. I've got a buddy up here who took his nicely finished and detailed ride that was in real smooth and fresh primer to a little show and got the Best Rat Rod trophy and I don't know who was madder, him or the guy with the really junky rat rod.

Locoxp, els, Countn'Carbs and 3 others like this.
  26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Boy, you have got that right! And then they go to the RR and tell them "cool hot rod" :mad:

els, kiwijeff, ladyhrp and 1 other person like this.
  27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

is Facebook shut down today?

John Starr, ceege, Spoggie and 10 others like this.
  28. Put red steelies on an S10 and you've got yourself a rat rod

els, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ryan
    Danny said RAT ROD!

els, Texas57, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.