Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swi66

swi66

2. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Monstad Pier in Redondo Beach, CA 1950’s

Hello,

That old photo was from Redondo Beach back in the 1950’s. It has gone through some radical changes and has created a great place to stroll and dine. Let alone surf inside of the pilings with all of the restaurant diners and pier walkers staring at your ride. We surfed inside of the odd shaped pier for some excellent rides in 1961-62. Yes, it was like an arena with people above, staring at you… but as teenagers, bring on the showtime…

Jnaki

The Redondo Beach Pier has gone through some changes, some due to the huge waves that attack this place from the winter storms. There were other times when the city coffers made it larger for more public access (and income) to the area.

The Redondo Beach waterfront in 1926 showing the newly built Monstad Pier
    [​IMG]
    Redondo Beach Pier in 1980
    Note Monstad Pier on left. It was connected at the end of the pier to the horseshoe pier in 1983.
    [​IMG]
    Redondo Beach Pier 2004
    [​IMG]
    The surf looked like this in 1962.
    [​IMG] Inside of the Redondo Pier circle.
    2016 big Winter storms
    [​IMG]
    Redondo Pier 2017
    [​IMG]

JNAKI, JUL 29, 2017 EDIT DELETE !REPORT!
    SHARE POST#138615 + QUOTE REPLY

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Does anyone know, is this the famous Winchester mansion?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Looks like Trenton in late 1964. That's the ex-Eddie Sachs Dean Van Lines roadster up front with Ronnie Duman as the driver. I don't know but maybe Dean still owned the car and made a deal with a sponsor to put Duman in it for the weekend? At any rate the car had a different name by Trenton. Mario Andretti is next to him in the current Dean roadster. Although it doesn't show up in any records Bob Harkey drove this car at Indianapolis in 1964 just long enough to get in a Refresher Test after missing the show in 1963.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be, it is so comercialized today it's hard to tell. We need one of our San Jose Hamber to take a photo from out in thee in front of it.

7. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The tall spire or tower is a giveaway. The Winchester Mystery House has spires, but not that tall. Even in 1965 during my college days at San Jose State College, about 5 miles away. When visiting this crazy house, it looks much like it does today. Our dates always thought this sojourn was a crazy part of a date...

The photo is from http://www.sfgate.com/news/bayarea/article/New-Room-Found-At-Winchester-Mystery-House-9957858.php

Jnaki
    It is one crazy house with dead end stairs, funky hallways and a musty smell. Well, it was in 1965-66.
    upload_2017-9-20_8-34-40.png

8. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Danny Oakes changing the midget tire.

Speedwrench likes this.
  9. JD Miller

JD Miller

That's Herman Munster's house

10. I may not spot old cars well but I can spot new shoes and a dress pretty quickly :) - nice restored car.

36 ROKIT, Chrisbcritter and Samj like this.
  11. Yes,it's the Winchester house. The darn thing has more twists and turns than a Stephen King novel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Went through it many years ago, can say this about the old gal, she was a kook!
    Story I remember is she was concerned about all the spirits of the Indians killed with Winchester rifles coming after her, she figured if she kept construction workers busy hammering it would keep the spirits away.

13. Jnaki is correct, this is not the Winchester house it is the Bradbury Mansion, now demolished I believe.

Mick

14. Your right Maggie , personalized license plate also . Texas didn't offer in. 55 . But a great shot .

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This photo is evidence that, beginning in 1957, GM did build some NAPCO trucks on the assembly line. You can tell a factory built truck by the t-case shift bracket riveted to the frame instead of bolted. The earlier trucks were exclusively dealer add-ons. In '57-'59 you could get Chevy or GMC 4x4 from the factory or add the Powr Pak at the dealer. GMC offered factory four wheel drive with a V-8 option, but Chevy did not. Factory 4x4s were all 6 cylinders. If you wanted a V-8 Chevy, you had to add 4x4 at the dealer.

16. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Jnaki, thanks to you and Jimmy Six for setting me straight. The Winchester House is one of the most wondrous, yet strange places I have ever visited. I would like to go back for a visit before I shuffle off to hot rod heaven...well, that is my plan!

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

More from Bill Hewitt ...
    -1.jpg -11.jpg 21544070_10210676938503296_6406245619533600727_o.jpg

[

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Bowtie Coupe, HEMI32, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Current photo of Winchester House

Attached Files:

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

106 DeArmond and Markley Bros.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    HEMI32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Fifteen for the burger and twenty-four for the fish? Shows why it's a burger place. Looks like the decimal has moved on the Buicks, too.

21. SoCal Stan

SoCal Stan
    from SoCal

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Great I.D. L Mick...I thought that house looked familiar. It is located in Los Angeles and is called the Bradbury Mansion. It has been on many lists of weird houses and mansions in the early Los Angeles area. The house was featured on many old TV shows telling about the Bunker Hill area near the downtown. Now, it is gone, replaced by new buildings and parking areas.

Jnaki

"This Queen Anne-style mansion was designed by Samuel and Joseph Newsom in 1886. Located on Downtown's Bunker Hill, then the toniest address in Los Angeles, it boasted 35 rooms, five chimneys, and five turrets. In 1887, mining investor Lewis Leonard Bradbury bought the house. During Bunker Hill's decline it was used by film companies and served as a boarding house for early silent luminaries, including Hal Roach and Harold Lloyd. Lloyd called the structure Pneumonia Hall, due to its horrible drafts. The ramshackle mansion was finally torn down in 1929. Image via Los Angeles Public Library photo collection"

[​IMG]
    147 N Hill St
    Los Angeles, CA 90012

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  23. SoCal Stan

SoCal Stan
    from SoCal

My Dad was a salesman for Dean Buick in Denver in 1964. As a bonus for my High School graduation 1964, he brought home a Demo Riviera to let me and my girlfriend go to all a graduation party's that night. I don't know who owns to car now, but for your own health I would suggest you have the backseat steam cleaned .... 1964 Graduation .jpeg

24. HOW COOL IS THIS???!!!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.