Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Heading to Ringgold Georgia to the Southeast Gassers race. I will have a booth set up selling old magazines today. Stop by and see Ethan and I.

2. Haven't posted a update In a while. The motor is back out and down at the engine shop. We broke another rocker in Kentucky. This time we figured out what happened. All the valves on the right side of the motor have been hitting the pistons that is why the rocker keeps breaking. We have 14 passes on the rockers and Every bushing in the rockers are out of round I understand why the ones that are hitting the pistons are out of round but still not sure why all the others are also out of round. The right side cam is 2°advanced the left cam is 0° this is to make up for chain stretch at high rpm. The intakes valves on the right cam were hitting the hardest due to having the least amount of clearance. The reason all the valves are hitting on the right side is the timing chain was to loose. I talked to Jay Brown and he knew that rite away When I told him what was going on. He said what happens is the chain is whipping causing the cam to rock back and forth because that cam is the chaser. So it's getting 5 new valves a little thicker head gaskets and also changing cam timing to 1° advanced and 1° retarded to get the piston to valve clearance we need. As far as the rockers go I still won't send them back to T&D to get fixed because out of the 11 that made it there the first time around we checked the 5 they said were junk and most of them were only .0003 out of round and the worst was .0007 out of round. Everyone I have talked to about this said the same thing I have the rocker body will distort more than that pressing the bushing into it. We also are not sure they are using a quality bushing because we should not be seeing .004 out of round in 14 passes. Had they not been complete dicks the first time around and not bent me over saying all my rockers were junk I would consider calling them but I will not deal with people like that. I will spend whatever it cost to go to someone that appreciates their customers. So there rocker did not fail as far as the body breaking. But they have some issues with there bushings we will get them fixed and keep an eye on them in the future. The motor will be back in the car by the last SEG race November 4th at Shady Side. We also found out we are having a baby boy in January. We used my other hot rod for the gender revile same car that was built for our wedding. Here's a picture we had a friend load up the zoomies with the powder and No one knew until the car fired even me and the wife didn't know. FB_IMG_1505698622521.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Pufff, OahuEli, Floater03 and 14 others like this.
  3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Glad it's a boy, I saw the video it was very cool.
    Oh yea the SEGA finals at Shady Side is November 4th you'll miss it if you come on the 5th LOL. Glad your going to make it, we are expecting over 70 cars there. It will be the largest era correct Gasser race since the 60's and maybe even bigger than any back then. Key word here is RACE, I'm sure there have been more at a car show or test and tune.

mad mikey, loudbang, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would be thinking about keeping a handle on the chain slack.....jam some shoes in it?

loudbang, strokedstang331 and Gammz like this.
  5. I did find one cool thing tearing it down. It's always felt real lazy in high gear I thought it was clutch issue but I'm pretty sure it is a throttle issue. The return spring pulled the bracket away from the intake causing it to hit the pedal stop about 90% open. Can't wait to see what that does to my ET. 20170819_111546.jpg

Pufff, OahuEli, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You going to be at the Fallout?

7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Congrats on the new family member, the Skairlane is one of the nicest cars I've seen. Got to see it at Clay City, nice car and very nice people.

loudbang, Hang'emHigh and Dog_Patch like this.
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It wasn't lazy in high gear when you ran me at Shady side in the spring. I hope you bring that big ford for a rematch November 4th back at shady side. You better make sure them throttle blades open all the way up then.

9. I'll be there helping my brother with his car. Mine won't be back together

loudbang likes this.
  10. Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Quain you are rite shady side was the only race my car had good MPH went 121 there. Every race after that only went 117 118. Oh don't worry I'll be ready for ya I'm a lot better on the tree so u won't get a 1 car head start on me so u better turn that old willys up. Might want to reconsider that taking that Jimmy Huff Ford power if you don't want to have to read my saying on my trunk lid all the way down the track

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Going to be a 09 power car?

loudbang and enloe like this.
  13. No Allhacked up blew up at the meltdown again. Got 3.5 passes out of it before the cam bolts backed out enough to shear off on the timing cover. The engine builder didn't tighten them. He did stand behind it though so we might get to see what that thing can do finally.

Pufff, mad mikey, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That will be good to git it lined out.
    He needs to pick up on the 09 project.....it's gettin lonely out here....not that I am even a threat.

15. Yea everytime he gets going on it Allhacked up throws a curve ball lol. I think he will have the 09 out next summer

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No more curve balls and that gives me a winter to make sure he did his home work. ;)

17. Got the motor back last Friday. Put it in last Sat took 5 hrs to get it in and running. We didn't dyno it this time not enough time the engine builder was going out of town and is to busy at the shop. Got .010 thicker head gaskets, 5 new valves and cam timing changed. Sounds better than ever. Took it to get the chassis certified on Sunday and passes with flying colors. Feels pretty good seeing that shiny sticker on the cage saying I'm good to go 8.50s. Hope to take it to the track before Shadyside Nov 4th to make some liscenses passes. Otherwise I'll be testing it out at Shadyside Nov 4th in North Carolina. 20171008_140957.jpg 20171007_143556.jpg 20171007_154241.jpg 20171007_143549.jpg

Pufff, mad mikey, enloe and 10 others like this.
  18. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking great as usual!

strokedstang331 likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Sure has come a long way since this thread started. :)

enloe and strokedstang331 like this.
  20. Thanks fellas hopefully we can keep it together this time

mad mikey, Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

What is that Chevy thing doing in your shop? You putting a FORD {Faster On Race Day}motor in it!:D Larry

loudbang likes this.
  22. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Looks like that Chevy has a wheel on that Ford.

23. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

The show is always better when the Skairlane is in the field!! See ya then!

24. How did you do at Myrtle Beach? Think I saw you win a round.

Hang'emHigh, loudbang and enloe like this.
  25. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Lost in the second round, but the car ran its best ever pass in qualifying. So we are getting closer!

Hang'emHigh, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  26. That will be the only time a Chevy has a wheel on that ford lol

27. Thanks Higgy yea I can't wait to be back it's been to long for sure. Hopefully next season works out better for me.

28. Well the final race for the season is over. After our 15hr trip back home We cleaned and winterized the trailer so it's fresh for 2018. We had a blast at the final battle at Shadyside. Where do I even start. Friday night We went the fastest We ever have rite off the trailer. On Sat we made it to the final didn't win but we gave it all we had. It blew the tires off rite at the hit race was over after that. I want to thank everyone who was involved and supported us this season I could not do it without all of you the Crew and the Fans. Also want to thank my wife Amanda for supporting me through the ups and down of this season. We will be back next season better and faster than ever. See everyone in 2018.
    FB_IMG_1509800294916.jpg FB_IMG_1509928698234.jpg FB_IMG_1509928674227.jpg 20171103_183144.jpg

Pufff, OahuEli, Floater03 and 10 others like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Congratulation!!!! job well done

30. Great show, made the trip worthwhile. See you in April when you clip the wings off that frequent flyer.