Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

These next two scans are more than likely from later on. You can see a change of styles in both pics. I have always liked the song by the Stattler Brothers, The Class of 57. Do we want Sancho to post a link to the song, or not. Scan0427.jpg After posting these two pics. the first one is the later version taken in Minnesota`s Back to the Fiffties car show. The second one is from an earlier KKOA show. You can still see the Minnesota plate.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Now, MODS please don`t delete these next two pics. It finishes off the story from 2007. These were also taken at the Back to The 50`s show. Any other current shots. It still has the same taillights. Notice the frenched antenna. View attachment 3653001

OG lil E, chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  3. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

saw it at the Back to the 50's just a few years ago with the billet wheels,but here's a picture of its glory years 50 Mercury class of 57-E.jpg

4. The first version with the split windshield and the side trim is fantastic, the later smoother version not so much.
    With the billet wheels suddenly the exhaust also looks stupid.

The decline of a cool car.

drdave, lurker mick, K13 and 6 others like this.
  5. Thanks for posting all the great pictures @stanlow69 and @PasoJohn. I've never seen the two tone version before. I wonder why the Desoto grille was changed out.
    I'll never understand why some guys who are lucky enough to get a sweet car like this Merc decide to do something stupid like change the wheels. Just goes to show you that there are way too many people out there that don't "get it". E

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I remember this car back in the eighties. It is/was a Minnesota car the one rear pic shows a cruisin customs plaque, that club was a based around St Cloud Mn. It really pisses me off to see the pic with those god awful billet wheels....

7. Thought I'd help @Sancho out with a link. Here you go Jim..........E

8. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Mike Key's book, Lead Sleds Chopped and Low '35-'54 has no less than 5 pics of The Class of '57 taken the the Leadsled Spectacular in Des Moines. If I can get decent scans, I'll post later. (Still cleaning up from Irma!)

9. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

Attached Files:

10. The flush fit glass pisses me off more than the wheels. The wheels are the easiest thing to change.
    The modern-style flush glass is just wrong, especially the rear quarter windows.

11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Hadn't noticed that, but you're so right.

I like the two-bar grille, myself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OG lil E likes this.
  12. Glad to see it's still around. As odd as it is, I dig the pipes. I will agree with everyone else, the billet wheels and flush glass is just plain wrong. Now some dude has to go "undorkify" it. LOL

13. I also like the pipes, but only on the original car. With the Billet wheels they look odd, like a crazy Hot Wheel toy car.

14. I'll agree with you there for sure Surfcityrocker.

OG lil E likes this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

As the song goes, The Class of 57 had it`s dreams. If it wasn`t for the pipes, the car would be unrecognizable.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The pic`s got deleted. For big wheels. Scan0428.jpg So maybe this will work. How do you like my artwork. White walls with flippers. Looks better already. Maybe someone can do a better job than I can.

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here are a couple scans from the book mentioned. The reason I`m posting is because of the negativity towards the car. Also, there is another version of this car that hasn`t been posted yet. Check back later to see the pic`s. Thanks again Rot `n Kustom and good luck with your clean up. Does Jim Wilkens live in Bradenton. I know it starts with a B. Scan0430.jpg Scan0432.jpg Scan0433.jpg

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

About 7 years ago I picked up a paper back book called Customizing Cars by Colin Burnham copy righted in 1980. In it were pic`s of Class of 1957 before it was named. Maybe someone can flip the pic so it isn`t lopsided. I wonder when the car was built. In the book are some pic`s of a Merc named So Fine which was at the Merc Duce Reunion in 79 in Kansas City. It looks like the parking lights as well as the grille have been changed. Scan0434.jpg

20. "The reason I`m posting is because of the negativity towards the car."

I don't think there's a negativity towards the car but what has been done to it in later years.

21. IMG_1446.JPG Love the shape and flow of this car in this picture. Don't even mind the pipes so much. Too bad it became such a train wreck later. When good cars happen to bad people...

22. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

@stanlow69
    Thanks for posting those photos. Cleanup is mostly done in my neighborhood, but still a long ways to go for the rest of Florida.
    As far as I know, the Jim Wilkens who built "Lil Miss Vickie" and who now owns the Wes Gaunt Buick, "Oriental", lives in Connersville, Indiana. However, we have lots of snowbirds from the midwest here, so he might be a part-time resident. If so, I'd sure like to meet him!

23. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

Could this be "Pinky"? It was at Mississippi Mayhem two weeks ago. MM.jpg

24. It sure looks like it! The roof, shape of the skirts, the uncapped pipes, headlight area........
    Even the tag is in the same place.

IF it is, then I would say Pinky and Rosebud actually are 2 different cars.

25. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is one to compare the top:
    [​IMG]

I would say that's it.

26. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Small world, received a phone message from Gary Ritchie, was given our # from someone at KOA, but He mentioned Jerry, so thinking it was really KKOA. Anyway he was looking for Joel Shipie (sp?) As he wants to replace the Gaylord top on the olds. I referred him to Brockmans, as they are neighbors of Joel's. When I returned the call it went to voicemail, so I didn't get any more info. So he still has the olds, hopefully once he gets a new top we will see it again. Kevin Anderson needs to contact him for CAR 2018!

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

The flamed Merc is not Bill Nicholson's. This Merc was built by Gerald Davis alley cat customs. Pensacola florida. Still owns it.

rodncustomdreams, drdave and Sancho like this.
  28. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

[​IMG]