Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "The Creeper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Jan 17, 2017.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

Never thought about Willy's- I have Pontiacs on my other car, so thought I'd try and do something different. Originally was using '39 teardrops, but Tony Martino hooked me up with the '58's and I figured I'd give 'em a shot. Everything's temporary for now . ( although, once installed, temporary can last a LONG time!)

onekoolkat1950 and loudbang like this.
  2. Would look cool with 4 red lenses.

loudbang and mike bowling like this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Shot of the motor all together before I took it apart to fix the water pump- chrome air cleaner is WAY too shiny, so it will probably get toned down ( it's only temporary- HaHa) DSCN3499.JPG

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

Ron "Wheeldog57" doin' his thing in the engine compartment- big Thanks, Big Guy!

Stay tuned- I want to post a video when we get this jalopy running if we can figure out how!
    Have fun, be safe.
    IBBY ( that's for "clunker") DSCN3501.JPG

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Sticker I got from the Hop Up guys at TROG................. seemed appropriate DSCN3417.JPG

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

OT picture, but I figured it's worthy of posting. ( check out the tail lights- hmmmm).
    My friend Jim got this at an auction in NH for a good price- it's 100% there and needs a good cleaning, but it's in super condition. He's got a 1937 Dodge PU hot rod to haul it around. Came with the ORIGINAL trailer! DSCN3488.JPG DSCN3492.JPG

catdad49, Hombre, ABONES and 8 others like this.
  7. ^^^^ Outboard motor appears to be a 1958. Probably the whole rig is from that year

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Definite '57/58 influence in the boat itself.

onekoolkat1950 likes this.
  9. That's the same outboard my dad had on his boat when I was a kid.

mike bowling likes this.
  10. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Looking great Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mike bowling likes this.
  11. Loved the scallops with the orange and black paint!

mike bowling likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whats that saying...Big tailights save lives...;)...givem a chance, they may as you say fall into place once the big picture is complete.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  13. Mikel50

Mikel50

brEad, biggeorge, wheeldog57 and 5 others like this.
  14. Just read your thread Mike. Very enjoyable. Neat car. I think the T-lites will look much better when you get all red lenses. Carry on .

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Mine are mocked up ( right one IS crooked! )- I'm going to hang the rear fenders and see if that helps downsize them a bit. I'm so confused.............

I do like the coupe pic you posted.

"The end justifies the means"- from the Latin ( translation; "Git 'er done")
    DSCN2237.JPG

biggeorge, wheeldog57, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Well, the tail light issue is set for now- I ran an ad in the wanted section on here , and got three replies. One was from "Baron" , a friend who lives close by, who said he had a couple and if I could use them the price was right (O). So yesterday I wired up the other 2 sockets, and I'll run down to his shop this week. Good excuse to visit and look at all his great cars. He's been building hot rods and drag cars since I met him many moons ago. Super guy, excellent photographer, and that man can flat out shift a 4 speed!

Thanks, Baron!
    ( and Thanks to the other people that replied- the power of the HAMB amazes me!) DSCN3119.JPG

Stogy, loudbang, biggeorge and 2 others like this.
  17. upspirate

upspirate

The slanted lights may be Buick lights from somewhere around '50

mike bowling and loudbang like this.
  18. hounddogjake

hounddogjake

biggeorge likes this.
  19. mike bowling

mike bowling

Scrap aluminum from the salvage yard, turned with a small drill press and a 3/4" diameter wire brush. I rough cut the piece on my table saw, then fine tune with a bench grinder. I drew a 1" x 1" grid on with pencil to TRY and keep it straight.

You can buy it, but it's pretty expensive ( and I like making stuff). DSCN3122.JPG

Stogy, clunker, wheeldog57 and 8 others like this.
  20. upspirate

upspirate

For smaller stuff I've used a pencil-tipped eraser with the pencil chucked in the drill press.....use valve grinding compound or rubbing compound

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

I just got back from Baron's shop, and he not only gave me 2 lenses, but 2 complete '58 housings!
    I got to see his current build; a '32 roadster that is a beauty!
    Go on his profile page and check out his albums.

Thanks again, Baron! I owe you one ( or 2)
    Hopefully more pics soon- rounding 3rd and heading for home! ( and looking for the NEXT one ?)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    loudbang and Mikel50 like this.
  23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Mike,
    You think this one will be ready for the gathering??

loudbang likes this.
  24. mike bowling

mike bowling

No idea- still probably have a lot of dialing in to do once it's moving. I'm in the middle of changing the steering linkage right now. I didn't lay out the drag link correctly ( DUH), and need to modify it. No biggie, just MORE to do! No pressure- it is what it is.
    I had planned on working on my green coupe , but it's running fine and may have to wait its turn. (Nice to have one to play with, and it may go to the Gathering again ?)

25. Nice work it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mike bowling likes this.
  26. Love this car! And the tail lights ( but I'm biased!) These are on my '31 built '58-'61.

image.jpeg

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

So this girl came by and said" Get your lazy ass back to work on that coupe and stop driving around in the other one screwing off all day." Always been a sucker for scantily clad women!

Soooo.... The windshield's in, and the 1/4 windows. DSCN3504.JPG DSCN3506.JPG

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

Put my "Kick Ass" Kromium fan on, another water pump and buttoned it up AGAIN............ DSCN3514.JPG DSCN3508.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    clunker, Mikel50, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  29. mike bowling

mike bowling

DSCN3520.JPG DSCN3523.JPG DSCN3524.JPG DSCN3525.JPG Then for some fun- break out the 1/8" tape and let it rip

30. mike bowling

mike bowling