Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 ford sedan to business coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewGuyOldFord, Nov 17, 2016.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dash looks great

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Can I have the two door parts?

No I would need bigger doors.

Oh shit you have them.

DSCN0001.jpg

4. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

The long doors are actually in really good shape. Was going to use them as patch panels but can't bring myself to cutting them up. I did use the sedan door posts as repair pieces for the really crappy coupe ones.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Really just kidding. Thanks anyway. Too far,too much work at my age. Maybe somebody will take the hint.

Gary

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

The dash looks great! Nice to see the first mock up pics already!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Koolkemp..... you were a great inspiration to me doing this. I've referenced your build several times. I have a ways to go but I think I have a game plan. And thanks for the words on the dash. It's been fun so far so hopefully it stays that way. I'll keep posting pictures as long as people keep watching. I know I'll get told how bad and ugly a small block ford looks in there but there is no other alternative to me. I'm an all ford guy. Hell is put one in a riding mower if I could. I actually think Chevy motors are ugly and too cliche. BART.

6sally6 likes this.
  9. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I'm just putting this out there..... if anyone has some useable running boards or the outside running board trim used I'd be interested. And, if deleting the side trim, what outside door handles do you use? Thanks for everyone assisting me on this project.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Haters will hate, don't let them bother you! I'm with you 100%, that's the reason I pulled the bellybutton SBC out of my 47 Lincoln and have put in a 302. Keeping the bloodline pure you know!

Clearance was pretty tight on my steering box, I ended up using Explorer manifolds to clear it, and a WIX 51311 oil filter will give you a good 2" or more clearance there, too.

King ford likes this.
  11. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks Bamamav. I have fenderwell headers so hopefully I'll be fine. Love to see pictures of you engine compartment and rear setup.

12. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Could someone with a short door coupe give me these measurements? Thanks

13. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Could someone with a short door coupe give me these measurements? Thanks[​IMG]

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

They may be the same as the four door front doors in which case maybe @steel rebel could give you a hand?

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Four door #s

And this is center of gap.

Top 30"
    Center 35 1/2"
    Bottom 34 3/4"

I wally wish I had your energy. I would buy your leftover parts and make me a two door sedan.

Tim likes this.
  16. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks steel rebel. I want to get things welded together straight and your measurements will help out tremendously. Once again, thanks.

17. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Steel Rebel, were they at the bottom edge, at the accent line by the door handle and the top at the window curve? Thanks.

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Old Ford
    It is pretty difficult to get exact measurements 3,000 miles away. Think you should measure the inside of your door and add maybe 1/2" tack then fit. Their are so many curves and not square lines it is impossible to know if I am measuring in the same place as you, and this is critical stuff.

Sorry

19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

It's fine. I think you'll get me in the ballpark. I'm going to use your measurements plus the door gap and go from there. I appreciate all of your help. Hopefully I can make something out of this.

20. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_0939.JPG Square the door up to the rocker and it will tell you where too put everything else. Build it like a house from the base plate up. Be sure to add for shrinkage when you weld.
    Use a wrench as a gauge to space your gap , it's quick and handy and I have used this trick over 60 years. Always set your door in the center of the adjustments slots so you have some room after you weld.Remember when you have the cowel cut loose from the roof it tends to fall back and you may have to jack it foreward, once you have the door and cowel squared up to the floor you can proceed with the roof and 1/4 panel. I hope this will help you. PM me if you have any questions. Frank

21. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Now I have it sitting and waiting to bring the mercury frame down to the garage so I can get the body mounts cut off of it and other essential salvageable pieces. [​IMG]

koolkemp likes this.
  22. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Hey Koolkemp, do you think there is any way to maintain factory running boards with doing the rockers the way you did yours? Thanks for your encouragement and I hope your health is staying steady. Here is another project my dad just bought and I drug it to the garage. It's getting crowded in here. [​IMG][​IMG]

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Honestly I don't even remember what they looked like, I may not have had a pair... I don't see why not though, should be pretty straight forward I would think? I can take a few pics if you need any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Squablow likes this.
  25. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Squablow likes this.
  26. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Could someone give me the answer to this question? When installing a SBF 302 in my 48 can I use a fox body oil pan instead of an early Bronco pan? Thanks.

27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

If there is anyone in the Pennsylvania area or surrounding states that had an affordable usable coupe/ convertible trunk lid please private message me. I think I've met my match with the one I have. Thanks.

28. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

29. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

30. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Squablow likes this.