Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Same here, I already started researching "Anderson Mercury" but found nothing.

stanlow69 and OG lil E like this.
  2. Referring to Kevin Anderson's Merc maybe? Has a sunken antenna in the same place and the shape of rear corner on the 1/4 window looks the same....kinda sharp on the bottom. Hmmm.....

IMG_3964.jpg

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If it is Kevins merc, he told me it was chopped in 1959?

4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It certainly could be.... you are right about the antenna.
    If it is the same car, the rear of the drip rail has been reworked. Along with the obvious changes, lights, grill, skirts, trim, removal of spots and pipes....and Kevin's appears to have one piece door glass (no vent windows).

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just got confirmation from Kevin that his merc is the small town flirt

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. And another one located!

7. I bet there are quite a few that survive but have been reworked to some degree, kustoms that no one would instantly know is the same car..... Or very few people anyway.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Since MercDuceMan was from Indiana. Kevins car was the first one I thought of. I`ll post a pic later of a car talked about earlier in this thread since it`s only Thursday.

9. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

The back of the 55 Chevy's name was all Bob,Suzy was his wife's nickname and Q is what they called Bob in high school. I have video's of this car as well. When Bob bought the 55 Chevy it was all maroon and while running a single master cylinder he had an issue with the brakes,and lost them as he told me

10. Well, what do you know about that. Neat!!

I think you are right, Sancho. Surely most all the unlocated cars in this thread (and countless others) live on in another unrecognizable guise. I have searched trying to find info on mine, even though it was only built in the 90's, to no luck....and I bought it from the guy that bought it from the builder. It won't be too much longer and it won't really be recognizable as what was first built, so anyone that might have known it or recognized it wouldn't now and be able to say, "Hey, my buddy built that car." I'm sure most of the history on a lot of these cars has been lost the very same way, and the links to the story are now gone.

11. That's some great detective work guys! I've always thought that the "Small Town Flirt" had one of the nicest chops around, although there are many Mercs with super roof lines.
    Now, does anybody know who the owner was in the 80s or what town he was from? E

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The car was yellow and called the yellow rose in the eighties [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Wow, that looks like a picture from the first few Spectaculars. Any idea when it was taken? Kool pic! E

rodncustomdreams, 54delray and Sancho like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks like 1982 Des Moines to me

15. Kevin Anderson who now is the host for the Custom Car Revival in Indy every year.
    Im 99% sure his candy purple Merc is the old Small Town Flirt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rodncustomdreams and 54delray like this.
  16. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Yes, Des Moines 1982 I was a 17 year old punk and I thought I was in heaven!!!

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is the scan. Scan0357.jpg

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This is the car I was referring too.

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is a scan out of an old KKOA Lead Sledder of a car similar to Suzy Q when it was maroon. It was in a feature on the Customs of Minnesota. And I think this is a frontal shot of the Yellow Rose. I was 13 in 82 in Des Moines. And I was in heaven. This pic was more than likely taken a year later at a small KKOA show in Kansas City. Scan0358.jpg Scan0359.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't remember that 55.. but it isn't SuzyQ. Suzyq is a hardtop

21. Opel

Opel
    from Germany

Hello all together, I just found an interesting article about a radical custom in an 1962 magazine. I fell in love when I saw the pictures, I think it's one of the most beautiful customs I've ever seen. I would like to know if this vehicle is still existing.
    170808 Lost Custom.JPG
    Kind regards, Maik

22. Sorry @Opel, this custom doesn't ring a bell with me, but if anybody has any information I'm sure they'll post it up here. The guys that follow this thread are amazing at digging up information on forgotten sleds! Good luck on your search. E

54delray and Sancho like this.
  23. What Ever Happened To..........? number 74.

1955 Ford "Poison Kandy"
    Owner: Don "Sparky" Sparks
    Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

This week's W.E.H.T. is another of the cars that information has been very difficult to find. It sure is strange how certain cars are featured in a lot of magazines or there are pictures of them all over the place. Then, there are others that it seems like they were a mirage and a guy can't be sure if they ever even existed.
    Don "Sparky" Sparks put together this tasty Ford north of the border. There have been many, many fine customs built up there, and in my research, it seems that Ontario was (and still may be) a hot bed for customs. It seems like most of the Canadian customs that I've written about on this thread have been from that area. Must be something in the water, "eh"?
    Don was also a member of the "Coasters" Car Club that has had a number of great customs in there membership over the years, including the great customs of Ron Box (W.E.H.T. #43).
    It seems like Don's car wasn't on the scene very long after he got it all dolled up the way he wanted it, as I was only able to find it on the video for the 1992 Leadsled Spectacular in Holland, Michigan. I'm glad it was on the video though as the car is a rolling text book of custom modifications. According to the first KKOA book, the car was originally built in the 50s, and was shown until the 60s and then put away and forgotten about. Don found the car in the early 80s and began the transformation to make the old sled his own. It has the usual shaving, as well as shrouded lake pipes, a louvered hood, and one of my personal favorites, a '55 Desoto grille. It also had extended '55 Buick quarters complete with the stock Buick taillights, with a Connie kit snuggled up nice and close to the trunk lid. The high point of this sled has to be the paint as this car is absolutely gorgeous! It was painted in kandy red over gold base with raspberry pearl scallops. Great color choices that black and white photos can't even begin to do justice to.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any pictures other than the one that was featured in the first KKOA book on page 149. I scanned that page so you can all get a small taste of "Poison Kandy" as Don called his car, as this was lettered on the Connie kit cover.
    This great custom has a very short information trail, and I'm hoping you faithful followers of this thread can help out by producing more photos and some current information as to the whereabouts of Don's fine little custom Ford.
    I don't know if this is true where you live, but here in the Mile High City, there is a small change in the air. You can already slightly feel the coolness of fall in the air, especially early in the morning. Summer is going fast and fall and then winter will be here before we know it. No time like the present, so get that sled out and go for a cruise while the weather is still nice! See you next week! E

Don Sparky Sparks 55 Ford !st KKOA Book p149.jpg

24. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Sorry I don`t have of picture of the Ford featured. But I did meet Sparky at the Custom Car Revival this summer(2017). He had a Blue Ford Ranchero with Scallopes. My pic`s are still on my camera.

26. Been studying the two cars @eaglebeak, and I'd be hard pressed to say it was the same car. A lot had to be changed to "mild it down" as the car owned by John Lizotte was more of a radical custom where Don's was much more mild.
    Who knows though, stranger things have happened. Thanks for the information! E

Nice information, Jim. Glad to know "Sparky" is still alive and well. Wonder what became of the '55.........E

27. Ron

Ron

[​IMG]

I had the privilege to pick a car for Luke's Kustoms Illustrated pick, and picked this.

Sent from my LG-H910 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Only if we could go threw his picture book laying on his tonneau cover. I think it was of his project car he had that was for sale. It couldn`t of been a 55 Ford that he has had for years, or could it be. Does anybody remember for sure?

29. Kool that Sparky is still building. I loved that Ranchero when I saw it at Indy this year. I did look through that scrapbook. I think it was another 57 Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. The car @eaglebeak linked to is a '56 Ford that has 1956 Buick tail lights. Crazy that there are so many similarities.

Here it was in 2013: http://www.rightcoastcars.com/right-one-philp2.php
    RussPhilp_Wasaga2.jpg

And @Chris Stapley posted this in 2013 but the pic he posted with it is gone:
    "1955 Ford that was originally built in the late fifties early sixties on the east Coast of Canada, restored in the eighties in Ontario by Donny Sparks in Bowmanville, at that time renamed Poison Kandy. Driven to teh Leadsled Spectacular events in Holland Michigan a few times in and around 1990"

Here is a photo from 2014:
    tumblr_ncp25kPBVl1tel8wzo1_1280.jpg