Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dale Wilson is now running a Liberty prepped Toploader in the Bad Penny D/Gas car.That deeper 1st gear ratio,and the ability to bang the gears like he's angry at it,have really got him swingin for the fences now.
    Watch some of his latest you tube videos.The one that Jimmy Huff shot is probably the best.It performs like a whole different car now.:)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

I hope you get the Cammer lined out . It is one of my favorite cars to watch in the Southeast Gassers.
    I love the way it pulls on top end.

Higgy's Henry, loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Scott, do have a link to the Huff vid?!

powrshftr likes this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

I will try to find it....Its a pretty sweet debut for Dale with that transmission:)

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gammz and Higgy's Henry like this.
  5. powrshftr

powrshftr

6. loudbang

loudbang

Couple shots of meltdown coverage on bangshift

2017-Meltdown-Drags-69.JPG

2017-Meltdown-Drags-70.JPG

Pufff, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 4 others like this.
  7. I saw the car do several winning passes. hauls ass.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  8. Well another Meltdown Drags in the books. Let me tell you if you were not there you really missed a heck of a show. We had a blast and are paying for it this week but wouldn't change a thing. I want to thank my fellow Border Bandits crew for talking me into picking the towel back up after I threw it in Sat early afternoon. We made a pass around 1 in the afternoon and came back to the pit with a mis again. Thought we broke another rocker but come to find out it had been rubbing the valve cover and backed the adjuster out. I was beyond pissed and said screw it I'm parking it for the weekend. Then my crew Joe Jacobson,Jeff Edwards,and Arthur Kelly Beeler stepped up and said we were not going out like that we are tearing it down and fixing it. So under the awning she went and we pulled the pan off cleaned out the shavings, used a magnet to gather the remainder pieces of lash cap, chased the threads in the rocker, went through the valves and swapped valvecovers. We made out first match race with the Nightstalker he went red but would have been a hell of a race he went 5.706 to my 5.711 in the 1/8th. We took the Skairlane back to the pits and dumped the oil checked her over and got it ready for round 2 with the Nightstalker and u fortunately he went red again so we took home the win. I would liked it to be a race to the stripe but I guess a win is a win and we will be racing again in the future. I ran the Skairlane almost through the 1/4 that last pass and went a 9.14 143mph the fastest I have ever been. Then Sunday we made another 1/4 mile pass and went a 9.05 143 mph. Fueled it up going to try to get it in the 8s got up there did my burn out and something happened the clutch would not disengage so we pulled it back to the pits and called it a weekend. I want to thank my wife Amanda Jacobson for keeping me straight every pass and selling t shirts to keep this thing going every little bit helps with this expensive hobby. I also want to thank all the fans I never dreamed I would have so many people rooting for me it makes all the work we put in worth it seeing the reaction of the fans as I drive past on the return road. I attached some puctures from this weekend i saved from everyone else because i didnt take any lol.Thanks everyone we will see everyone in Clay City Kentucky.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pufff, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 11 others like this.
  9. More pictures from the meltdown all these pictures were saved ofc Facebook thank everyone that took them and shared them

FB_IMG_1500432146043.jpg 20170715_173231.jpg 2017071595201957.jpg 2017071595222126.jpg 2017071595222809.jpg

Pufff, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 5 others like this.
  10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Hi Jeff , Was hoping to meet up with you this year. Stopped by the trailer a little before noon but no one was around. Saw you run Jim [I think?] in the orange 55 Ford and I thought something seemed wrong. a little later I walked by and it was nothing but Butts and elbows in the engine compartment so I figure you where "buzy" and did not want to interrupt . Glad you got it sorted out. I had to leave at 5 so I did not get to see you run the Night stalker. Still one of the cars biggest fans! Fear the FE!!!:D Larry

loudbang likes this.
  11. Dang larry yea i was hoping to meet up with you this year also. Yea we had some issues got it a back together about 6 Sat evening. Just in time to run the Nightstalker. Had a blast even having to work on it all afternoon

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  12. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

We will try again next year. At least now with the pictures you posted I know what you look like ! lol I would post a picture of me but the dam camera keeps breaking for some reason . On till then keep posting and I will keep cheering you on . I am also going to try and make the Fall out so maybe then! Larry

13. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Thrashing on it goes with the hobby! Your cars is a beauty man! See you in Clay City.

14. loudbang likes this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jeff. Just watched the youtube coverage of the South East Gasser event in Union. You put Quain on the trailer and almost spanked the panties off the White Trash!!!! Watching you run always makes my day . I just love that car. Good luck with the rest of the season !! Larry

16. Does that make it three times this year you beat quain?

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  17. No Brian I've only trailered quain 2 times. White trash has put me on the trailer 3 times though. Last time the car was running good but the transmission broke. We will get him next time I hope lol

Pufff, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Skairlane didn't have a clutch issue at the meltdown. The pilot bushing seized up on the input shaft. What a pain to tear apart when that happens. I had to keep jacking the trans up and down prying on the Bellhousing after I unnolted the pressure plate. The bushing never did come off the input shaft I had to use a puller on it to get it off. I have been having problems with the pilot bushing but have not figured out what is exactly not rite. I indexed the Bellhousing again and it is only off .003. When I took the transmission out after I broke mine the bushing was all wobbled out and wasn't even doing anything anymore. So I put a new one in and in 6 passes it was seized on the shaft. So now I'm going to a sealed roller bearing setup to see if this works better for me. While we were working on it at the meltdown my brother noticed my header was cracked almost completely around one tube so I pulled them off also and fixed them and plan to recoat them. I also plan to bake them this time around so hopefully they look good for a while. While I wait for parts I'm going to reset the depth on my clutch because it has wear on it now and im also going put a little more clutch in it this time around it was slipping more than it should in high gear. I have always thought that running it in the 1/8th but it goes by so quick can't tell for sure. Well running it through the 1/4 she was definitely driving through the clutch in high gear. See everyone at the Southeast gassers Clay City Kentucky race. 20170719_191756.jpg 20170720_172926.jpg 20170721_074246.jpg 20170721_074259.jpg 20170724_185836.jpg 20170724_185850.jpg

Pufff, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 8 others like this.
  19. I have fought cracked headers also. since I have switched to brazing the cracks stopped. this is how jere stahl made his.

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

A few I took at the Meltdown IMG_2721.JPG IMG_2821.JPG IMG_3009.JPG

Pufff, catdad49, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Jeff have you measured the input shaft and the pilot bushing after its installed to see what the clearance is I can't remember the exact spec but if it's too tight it will cause it to do exactly what yours did even if the bell is indicated in I had a similar thing happen on a cross bred trans deal Once when I made a pilot bushing to fit I made it with the proper clearance then when I installed it it got smaller and was too tight also you might check the bore in the crank with all the problems you've had with that motor it wouldn't surprise me if the bore in the crank was too small or off center or some damn thing lol keep us posted if n what you find

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Thanks for the info. I haven't checked the clearance on the bushing after installed but that would make sense why it did it. I doubt the crank bore is off being a Bryant crank but you are rite with my luck it could be I'll check that while I got it apart. I'll let ya know what I find

Hang'emHigh, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  23. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Well now that T&D got trashed on this topic it's starting to look like the rockers were not the problem.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Well the reason it rubbed this time was I had to weld the hole up in my valve cover that junk rocker put in it when it broke. That's just 1 rocker how could the other 6 out of the 11 that made it be junk also? I'll post how their rockers are holding up when I get a few more passes on them. I never even would have bashed T&D had they not been such Dick heads on the phone customer service is everything these days I own a body shop and if my customer comes back saying I screwed there car up I'm going to do whatever it takes to figure out what happened. I definitely wouldn't tell them to basically go pound sand. I have bought supposedly "top notch" parts for this thing I have a top notch guy building it we should never had issues like this the engine builder agrees with me. So T&D is not clear yet I still think they will be a problem and so does a few other people that have been here working on it.

25. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Well said customer service is huge

26. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I don't think I'd put the T&D stuff back on if I thought they might break my vale covers again. I plan on running polished and strapped stockers on my Chrysler hemi.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  27. Kind of stuck with my T&D'S for now or it will have to sit. Cammer parts are impossible to get period. The people that have the stuff don't want to part with it because there isn't anything for sale. I contacted Reid Rockers and they said they can build them for me for $350 each so I'm taking donations because with all the trouble I've had to fix I'm barely keeping this thing going as it is. I've stuck close to $30,000 in this motor this season alone to fix all the junk parts I paid top dollar for when I bought them. My buddy is a mechanical engineer and we are in the process of reverse engineering them and changing a few things he doesn't like as far as stress points go once he is done with that I have another buddy who works in a machine shop and we are talking to them about running them on their 5 axis mill once we have the program done. I talked to the owner of Reid and he was super helpful and told me if I needed any help let him know he would help if he could. We plan to make them out of Chromoly and will use the rollers and adjusters out of the T&D'S so they are readily available if we have a issue. I also have a Chrysler hemi in my other car and used to think hemi parts were hard to come by. But with this cammer there are no parts for sale for it.

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Jeff . Saw you and the wife interviewed on the lastest South East Gasser video. Thumb's up on the new gear head coming into the family. Better start on that other blue and white ford you picked up a year or so ago. You only got a little over sixteen years to finish it! Clock is a tickin :D:D:D ! Larry

29. Congrats on becoming a dad. Its the best thing in the world.