Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *AC or No AC*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zippi, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go Sam; that's some good info. All one needs is the condenser outside and the rest can be in the passenger area.

The 39 guy likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's good info on the remote compressor. Refrigerator tech in your hot rod . Who'd a thunk it.

The 39 guy likes this.
  3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP !!!!

4. Hot Rods are about going fast, not comfort!
    I have never understood why anyone would want to added weight, or the power loss of of AC.

My vote is to open this-
    [​IMG]

However Swamp coolers or pretty cool, no pun intended.
    [​IMG]

Blues4U and Bruce Fischer like this.
  5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Now Jim who's the Boss? Nevermind, Happy Wife Happy Life, I get it!

Ron AC and when you get to the destination, say a car show or outdoor event and it's 90 above, hmmm keep the car running.......LOL
    No I get it, but my wife gets cold easy, so can get away with it for the most part,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. Zippi

Zippi

image.jpeg image.jpeg View attachment 3580531 View attachment 3580522 View attachment 3580522
    I like reading all the different comments and boy are there some different ones. Just shows that AC is not need by some and a must for others. I have room on the passengers side for the compressor. I would just have to figure out the brackets and pulley setup. I could get a chrome compressor and I think it would look fine. When the wife and I are at a cruise-in I always raise the hood on the drivers side.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  7. Phil1934

Phil1934

8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The thing I dislike about AC is that isolated feel, like you're watching the road on TV and you're not really there. On the other hand, my wife and I are both fairly severe winter people - one of the first of lots of things that drew us together - but we live in a climate that can get quite hot in summer.

Thinking purely in wish-list terms it has occurred to me that the thing I'd really like in a car is a radiant cooling device in the roof. Then I can drive around with open windows without feeling the heat off the roof or being lulled by white noise from a fan. Panels working on the principle are made for buildings. Basically they offer a non-radiating overhead surface which acts as a sink for radiant heat coming off your body, without re-radiating any of it back to you. Their effectiveness is limited to the point at which condensation starts to happen, though, and systems usually incorporate a humidity sensor to control the maximum cooling. It should be useful in a dry-summer climate like Cape Town.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. Mgtstumpy.Try being married 3 times.LOL. you will find out. Bruce.

10. Vintage hot rods.Very nice pictures Thanks Bruce.

11. Robert.I have one of thoses on my 56 Chrysler Windsor.Along with the vent windows it rally does help.Bruce. 006.JPG

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

One behind you, but I have been with my significant other for 15 years- does that count. And yes if she wants AC she will get it.
    My personal feeling is if it is a vehicle that does not have a visible engine compartment than if you want it go for it. If it is visible, or a vehicle that cannot spare the hp then don't do it. But I am building a 50
    chevy truck, not a flathead powered roadster.

13. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Living in Florida, I found myself not driving my model A coupe as much as I liked due to the heat and humidity. My wife didn't want to go out in it. This year I decided it was time for an a/c. Yes, it was costly, yes I really don't like all the crap that is added. When I drive the car and turn the a/c on, I'm glad it's in there and I don't care about the bullshit. No thing is worse than getting stopped at one of these looooong Florida traffic lights and baking in a car with no a/c. At 67 if some one says "that's not traditional" I could care less. Make your wife happy and don't worry about other peoples bullshit!

14. Good answer, Jim

Ben

threedudesracing likes this.
  15. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

So I'm curious. I had a 53 Caddy with either factory of dealer installed a/c. Would swapping in a period correct motor that originally came with it then make it traditional. That said I say do what you want and makes you and your wife happy, it's all about compromises. Personally I hate the heat so my current build will get a/c for both of us but it is getting an automatic so she can drive it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. I'm surprised this thread is still going. I have A/C in my sedan delivery. I take it when the wife wants to go along with me. Like when we go to church, cruise nights,the drive-in movies, etc. We use it a lot more because of the A/C. It's different with the 29 U.F.O. coupe. It's a bare bones model A Hot ROD. it has, No A/C, No interior, { just a pillow} No anything extra. I cant get her to ride in it at any temp. So I'm just saying, it all depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I hate to admit it, but I like the A/C too. I think our cars are meant to be driven. If you don't like the looks of a compressor, or if bothers you, just leave the hood closed. I think they look better that way any how. And a 012.jpg { Heater }is nice too. lol thanks Ron... PS. No, I don't drive it in rain or snow! ha. ha.

i.rant, Hnstray, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have A/C in the 39. A Powergen alternator, converts AC to DC current. Not what you mean? ;)

If Mrs Highlander wanted it I'd figure it out some way I suppose, but a stock flatty (for now) with little more than dual exhaust would likely bitch more about pulling a compressor than she would about the heat. If it's pushing high 90s and MI humidity it better be a damn good show or event before I'll deal with it in a black car. The 65 GTO has factory air so once that's done we can pick n choose.

What would you do?
    all_mine.jpg
    Just sayin...

18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I usually opt for a/c in the stuff I build as I've discovered that the interior is a lot quieter with a/c.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  19. Wallaby

Wallaby

It's interesting to read the replies. At first glance, it seems to be a simple yes/no question, but there are a lot of considerations to weigh.
    I am at the same stage. Here in Sacramento I live in 100 degree temps all summer. My truck has no cab vents and no wing windows... at freeway speed the cab is stagnant. At least you can get a breeze on your elbow if you stick it outside. Traffic is awful; the heat boils through the floors and firewall.
    I WANT the AC, but the decision doesn't stop there. Where is it going to fit in the tiny cab? Can I fit in some neat vents that don't hang under the dash and doesn't require boring holes in the pretty dash panel? Maybe a trunk-mount AC tucked behind the seats? Then the compressor bracket problem arises. I have an early SBC with the saddle type motor mounts and fuelie heads. Someday I want power steering also, but the brackets and pulleys required to do the job cost more than a fresh late-model engine from a wrecking yard, and the wrecking yard engine has AC and PS on it already. This is my technical debate, without getting into the marriage issue.
    I feel lucky that my wife lets me have a project. There have been many evenings where she is alone while I tinker out in the shop. I don't want her to hate the truck because it gets more attention, and I want to build something that we can both enjoy. It's a fine balancing act. The goal is that when I take it out for a drive, she will be as excited about going as I am.

20. wsdad

wsdad

Has anyone mentioned a cooler with a computer fan blowing across a block of ice and out the other side?

I've never tried one myself but hear they're not quite as good as real A/C but still pretty good. It might be enough for Indiana.

Try it first with a cheap styrofoam cooler and duct tape. Plug the fan into a cigarette lighter. I would think you'd need a big fan or multiple small ones to move enough air to cool the cab. You'd have to make sure your vents were closed, the heater was set to recirculate, not fresh air, and all the windows were rolled up.

If it works and you really want to get traditional, you could run a duct pipe from your heater outlet into a vintage cooler. If you really wanted to get fancy, cut a couple of cup holders in the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. I'm lucky as my wife loves hot rods and doesn't complain about the heat or cold in a hot rod,we just roll down the windows and open the cowl vent on the Deuce sedans.

All%20Deuce%20Run_053114_1706-L.jpg

On the other hand,Brenda's Ranch Wagon has air.HRP

10152502580076549_1755751366_o-vi.jpg

Blues4U and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My Hiboy roadster is a pure, fast, and loud HOT ROD, with a 4 speed and the only upholstery being on the seats, no top, no heater, and of course no AC. It's lots of fun, attracts lots of attention wherever I go in it.
    But unless the weather is just right, not too hot, or too cold, and no rain in sight, the fun ends quite quickly:eek: When I was 18, 10ft. tall, and bulletproof, I drove a dead stock Model "A" 1500 miles from Odessa TX back home to GA and loved it.:D
    But now I'm close to 80 (this Nov.) and don't feel I have anything to prove and like my comforts, so a 75-80 miles away destination is about the limit even in good weather in the Hiboy.:(
    So I added a '40 Ford coupe to the stable, with all the creature comforts such as AC, heater, stereo, and pwr. steering. This one has 5spd. for hiway cruising with decent mpg at today's Xway speeds of 80-90mph, and longer trips aren't an ordeal, regardless of the weather.:cool:

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

DSC_0780.JPG I can't believe guys posting complaints about the looks and weight of an A/C system. The entire system couldn't weigh more then 75-100 Pounds. It will also be a cold day in Hell when I'm concerned what others think about the way my cars are built or look. They are built for safety, performance and comfort. Attached are pictures of my 63 Impala 327 350+ HP, M21 four speed and Vintage Air Gen lV system. I don't think it looks that bad.
    Gary DSC_0778.JPG

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, a few members liked your comment and you've brought this shit up again? LOL..... Let's see, I'm going on 60 years old, been married and put over 40,000 miles on my last roadster, when it was my daily driver. Had a steady who never minded the heat, when I had my roadster. Had a '67 Camaro, '69 Chevelle and a '66 Mustang all 3 with no A/C..... all while living in the hot and humid city of Houston. I wouldn't have A/C in a Hot Rod because most units look out of place. I have enough "skin in the game". I didn't cast judgement on you or anyone else. It's YOU who are taking this personal. My OPINION wasn't directed towards you or anyone else. It was you that posted your mileage and pics to show how you're such a bad ass all weather driver. So far, YOU are the one playing keyboard cowboy. Get a grip..... dude.

Oh.... using, "the right tool for the job at hand" is a VERY weak card to pull. VERY weak. Carry on and Happy 4th.

Barrelnose pickup and Blues4U like this.
  25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The black 55 in our album was our main car in the late 70's early 80's with no AC. Drove it everywhere (Yuma, Laughlin at 110, over the grapevine at 106 and everywhere else and she went to everything with me-no matter how hot or cold.. We tried to travel mostly at night when it was 100 plus during the day (Sacramento to Laughlin in July!). She also commuted in it for 7 yrs. I like her to go with me to shows, etc. and AC is now a nice addition. Her 55 now has air as does my 40 and the last 8 or 10 I have done. AC for me at this stage-also big factor in resale in this area. At 74 other folks opinions matter very little to me.

Hnstray and Gman0046 like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I haven't seen posts judging anyone, maybe you're taking things too personally? I'm not aware of most people's age around here; I know that some are much older, and some are much younger, I try not to let that influence my take on what they post, but rather take the post itself for what it says. Whether a guy is married or not does not change his right to an opinion, and it surely doesn't change what is or is not a hot rod or a street rod (which is pretty subjective anyway). Car's don't care what your marital status is, they are what they are regardless of your age or your personal life. Your felt needs are a different matter.

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have a vintage air unit in my convertible a/c heat and defrost is great. As for power drain a sander style compressor doesn't use much horsepower

Ron Funkhouser and olscrounger like this.
  28. The idea of having air or heat for that matter,in my case has nothing to do with being macho,if I had it I would use it but I always find something better to spend the money on. :D HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  29. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Cool concept but at 4,000 btuh, it would just barely take the edge off of the heat in a well insulated car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.