Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 61 GMC 1500 engine swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christopher26, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Christopher26

Christopher26

Damn it. OK thanks squirrel you've been a huge help, I really appreciate it

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it turns out that it's too difficult to find that bellhousing, you might be able to find one for the mechanical clutch linkage, then you'd also need the other parts of the linkage to make that work.

I haven't been shopping for these parts for quite a while, so I don't know how hard they are to find. I have a couple of the mechanical linkage type bellhousings, but I also have two trucks that need them.

3. Ive got a couple of dozen of the63 up V8 or late six bellhousings. Many still in the trucks. they are common around here. the 61 and 62 V8 hyd bellhousing is rare as hens teeth. Ive never seen one except in pictures. The throwout fork is on the passenger side on them.

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

How about making a bracket to mount a slave cylinder on the mechanical linkage bellhousing?

5. Yes that could be done. however for me its easier to put a one inch hole in the cab for the clutch rod and convert to mechanical linkage. The 61 &62 trucks have this weird dual side by side dual master cyl. one half is the brakes and the other is the clutch. I never liked the hyd clutch release anyway.