Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PBR: She's lookn' great in the new sneakers! Like Jim said those gremlin's don 't like to be disturbed . If that tach trouble is the result of stripped cross gears, you might want to get silicon bronze replacement ones. I 've had better luck with them, over the stock GM pieces.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    els and loudbang like this.
  2. PBR,

Your supposed to SHIFT before that happens! But seriously, let me guess....it made a screaming noise and started to spin in circles then broke off? My Chevy II did the same thing.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I've had two fail, one wasn't centerforces fault (the throw out bearing fell apart and ate up the ends of the fingers before I pulled it apart), but the other failed big time. At least one spring inside the pressure plate failed initially and spun around destroying the guts of the pressure plate. Gave up on them, running a Precision clutch (made by Zoom) now. It's holding up EXCEPTIONALLY well against 600 hp. The Centerforce failed on a 325 hp motor. Neither Centerforce chattered or exhibited any bad issues prior to failure, though. The won the fingers got ate off of had 60,000+ miles on it in a 72' El Camino SS 350.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Now we need more Pics :)

catdad49, els and loudbang like this.
  5. actually it seems that that is common problem as they sell just the needle. It's 54 years old, guess i can see it breaking?!?! Wish i had a cooler story like it wound up to 7500 and broke:)
    Got a few hunded miles on her now, but man that big solid roller doesn't like under 2500. 3000+ and it's really happy

els, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The tach needles sometimes break because the jewel in the magnet is worn out, it causes excessive play in the speed cup and snaps the needle . If you just replace the needle without repairing the tach next time it might snap the speed cup shaft, then you are screwed. The speed cups for 63 and 64 are unique and no longer available. I have a 63 tach in the shop now with a broken cup on the speedometer and tach and I have no more speed cups left so I can't complete the repair for the customer cause the speed cups are impossible to find.
    I'm not fishing for business just trying to save you some problems down the road. Have your local speedometer shop service the tach or you will be cussing up a storm next time if it breaks the speed cup .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

E56v thank you my 63 conv the tach needle disappeared, I now know to be aware

8. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg TODAY AT RHINEBECK, N.Y.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    1947knuck, catdad49, els and 6 others like this.
  9. jimdillon

jimdillon

What is the story on these two cars? The license plate is not encouraging. The white car has a front mounted gas tank but no rollbar. Really a fan of old racing Vettes but wondering if these two cars have some race history.

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim the white one is a friends, Mike Wolf. I don't think it has race history just an old corvette with Halibrands thats been sitting a long time. The other one I also saw I think is a road race (Limerock raceway) type car. Limerock is only 35 minutes or so from Rhinebeck/Red Hook area with lots of club racing going on there.

Pat

els, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Pat-just wondering. Always hopeful another old racer will be found and saved (as an old racecar).

els, loudbang and 1934coupe like this.
  12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim my sentiments exactly, this hobby became an investment, it's " you know how much this is worth" mentality. I've been at the GG Rhinebeck this weekend, it's in my backyard and a lot of my friends won't drive their car until the streets are sanitized from the sand and salt that they fear is on the road. I've lost 3 friends so far this year. I'm beating the shit out of my cars before I die so I won't have to say "I wish I"

Pat

els, 62hotcat, mkebaird and 4 others like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat we agree on using our cars as they were meant to be used for sure. I am not apologetic for reliving some great times I had in my youth. I go to a fair number of shows with my wife and she will ask if I would like to own this car or that car and I have to tell her, “no thanks”, the cars I now own are the ones that bring back great memories. Every time I drive them they put a grin on my face. I just put a new set of Moser axles in my black Vette as I have to baby it when I occasionally drag race it. I know I will break something else if I am not somewhat “careful”, but I want to come out a little stronger out of the hole as well.

The highlight of the year for me is the Meltdown, not just to watch some great vintage racing but to take a few trips down the quarter mile. These old Vettes are a hoot when you put your foot in them. My wife keeps reminding me I will blow it up (her words) but I remind her that is why I have a shop and tools in case I do. I spent pretty much all of 2009 fighting two forms of cancer thru 4 surgeries etc and it reminded me we are all mortal and I am going to have fun with these cars no matter what. My first wife hated me drag racing back in the 70s and my current wife is not a fan but I am building another 62 like an old MSP from the 60s (-building it from castoff parts sitting around my shop and hoping I can find enough money in the cookie jar to finish it).

If I had to be extra careful with my cars I would give it up. Some cars are suited to being show pieces and some are meant to be experienced and exercised.

As to the black road racer you posted as I said the license plate is not reassuring and now that I see it has wide whites it makes me wonder even more. Not sure how many road racers ran wide whites. I guess I am not a huge fan of patina for patina’s sake. There are cars that have been preserved and have some expected patina (some of which I really appreciate) and then there are some that have been seriously neglected (which is a fact of life I suppose due to circumstances) but I am not one to celebrate neglected cars with birdshit on them at shows to show what a wonderful barn find looks like. There are guys that refuse to remove dirt for fear it will diminish the value. Count me out of the camp for sure.

Hopefully we will continue to find old racecars and hopefully some will resist the temptation to destroy what these old racecars looked like when they were the warriors on the track. Not sure if that is just wishful thinking as we all hear the refrain as to how much these cars are worth, blah, blah. The real fun is making new memories I suppose.

els, 62hotcat, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  15. noboD

noboD

I'm agreeing with that Jim. A car should be as clean as possible for the condition it is in. I don't get the bird shit either. Just because a car sat for years it doesn't have to be filthy. And make sure you have an extra project so you don't run out of something to do when the heart makes the last tick.

16. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

This looks like the year I will be at the Meltdowns for the 1st time.
    I am planning on taking a truckload of 50's thru early 70's car magazines to sell.
    I will also look forward to seeing the old Vette in person as well as meeting a bunch of you guys.

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looking forward to meeting you and your son. If I was a gambling man I would bet a buck or two that you will get hooked on the Meltdown. As an event it is the best racing I have seen since the 60s. Not saying there are no other great events but I guess since I am still lost back in that era it is refreshing to go back in time, without a bunch of disguised pro mods and "newer" cars to shock me back to the present.

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We are heading out on the annual guy trip Wed morning. We will be going to Bowling Green to the Hot Rod Reunion and camping till Sunday morning. there will be a ton of pics posted on the thread that is linked in my signature.

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

A few from Bowling green at the hot rod d reunion image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

22. loudbang

loudbang

6 and vette.JPG

At Dover

9 and vette.JPG

posted by bomb in the vintage thread

bomb in vintage.jpg

cruiserjohn76, 1947knuck, els and 4 others like this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

image.jpg In pits at bowling green image.jpg

1947knuck, catdad49, els and 5 others like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

A couple of pics my son took at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

27. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

28. loudbang

loudbang

I always forget this cars name and I have posted it a couple times already LOL.

cmp and vette.JPG

Dave LeBrun Engineering

Dave LeBrun Engineering and stock and vette.JPG

ct and vette gasser.JPG

ct and vette.JPG

CT Vette MP.JPG

29. I just inherited this one
    IMG_4760.JPG

1947knuck, catdad49, els and 6 others like this.
  30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Very nice Scotty-extremely fortunate if it is a real 57 fuelie. The wheels look great on it as well. Can't get much nicer than a black Vette with silver coves.