Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadsters Fathers Day Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 2, 2017.

1. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Scorching today at the swap meet. Only one line / one gate open to enter instead of the usual 3 gates, getting in was a nightmare. I don't feel sorry fro John Buck and his LA Roadsters crew for their ignorance of how to run a swap meet. They could look at the Pomona swap or Turlock to get an idea of how things work.

another..... Wristbands are $40 for early Friday swap entry. YET, if you are 2 guys with a rental car from overseas, you can buy a whole swap space for $80, get 2 wristbands and vehicle entry for all 3 days...... So yea, a lot of swap spaces went to rental cars.....

Something else I found out today. The LA Roadsters have millions $$$$ in their club bank account. They decided long ago to become elitist and not allow new members so they could spend this money as a small group (they take nice vacations together with the money) and because they are old and don't care about the show so much anymore, they leased it to John Buck for $150,000. John will make his $250,000++ profit in the end. But honestly a lot of people are sad to see the way the show is headed. I mean come on, the club had so much money and that's why they NEVER charged a finished roadster/driver/ passenger to come into the show......that alone made up a nice show.

Also - noticed John Buck was too cheap to buy ports-pottys and trash-cans for the show from Fairplex.....so you will be walking a long ways to find these things. Also the old Fairplex restrooms that were at the North end of the swap are long gone !!!

Muttley and loudbang like this.
  2. exterminator

exterminator

Well, went to the roadster show this morning- got there around 6:40 and had to wait until 7:00 am to get in. When we got to the ticket windows and gates- no one was there! The gate was open how ever and we all just walked in so those who had not bought their ticket yet- got in free! (I had already bought mine) Wow. At 1st, it looked like a ghost town when you walked in the area next to the vendor tents with some of them not opened yet and with very few roadsters sitting around compared to past years. And the amount of people was very sparce. No fighting crowds at all even when we got to the swap meet. It was getting hot rather fast so we only stayed there about 2 hours or so. Our grandson drove his 51 ford pickup to the show and they charged him $50 to get in. Well, I enjoyed the show as usual and hope more people came as time went on. Will I go next year? You bet! The swap meet was great as always, lots of non roadsters to see- so I give the show a B grade. Oh yeah.I only took a few car pictures and another guy on here posted the same cars. Exterminator

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Buddydamutt and loudbang like this.
  3. I second that!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to the swap meet today. Drove in off Arrow Route through gate 15 with no problems at 6:45. Entrance to the swap meet opened at 7:00 and I walked the entire swap area by 10:30. Lots of open spaces. Didn't buy much and some of the prices were in the ozone IMHO but I did see some really nice cars.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Swap meet was great. Lots of early real parts. The best cars were in the swap meet area IMO.

loudbang and HellsHotRods like this.
  6. It was weird not getting to the entry booth until after the tunnel. Got there after 8am and plenty of parking available. Swap Meet was good as usual. I talked to several sellers who liked the pre-purchase of spots. The swap was oddly spread out and that caused me to not go down a few rows. Looks like seller and spectator attendance was a bit lower than last year too. Oh well still far better than going to work or mowing the lawn. I am sure the organizers are taking notes and will adjust to improve the over all experience. I chatted with a few LA Roadsters members and asked how they liked not working the show. The overall response was that it was kinda weird to them. Saw nothing that would make me not want to go again.

Special Ed and loudbang like this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Hopefully, the weather will be the same again for tomorrow. Today it was a humid 85 degrees at 1pm. I plan on returning tomorrow. Hope more people will show up tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Hopefully it will be cooler! It hit 96 today and with the humidity it was equal to 101. Hotter than I like! Glad my Roadster was inside the building when I needed to cool off.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1637.JPG These were from that race. Had a great time being in the pace car in front of her.

I've been going to the LARS far longer than I care to mention, but this entire show could've fit in Irwindales property parameters.
    I think MoonEyes was actually larger.

I'm still from the "if it wasn't broke, don't fix it".
    school of reason. Hopefully the club and especially Scritch can turn back the clocks to a far simpler time.
    Just my H.O.

6-bangertim and The37Kid like this.
  10. toml24

toml24

I KID YOU NOT!!!!!! Ms. Toni Marie McCray just WON TWO MORE Late Model races Saturday night June 17TH. WOW!!!

6-bangertim and The37Kid like this.
  11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with you, Dean. As a Californian, you are close to the pulse of all things rodding so I put lots of stock in your opinion. My wife and I have been to Cal three times so far, the CHRR in '14, LARS in '15, and TROG West in '16. Each time was quite the experience, and next time will only get better. We were unable to attend El Mirage in May because of a graduation, and it was especially bad because both my new buddies from Cal debuted their newly built roadsters, Cyclone Kevin Preciado from Temple City in his resurrected Clem Waske '29 A-V8 and paintslinger805 Bruce Omohundro from Nipomo in his flathead Deuce. Bruce's Grandfather, Elmer Omohundro, raced his Deuce at El Mirage in the late '40's and is a regular encyclopedia of early lakes racing. The one show in Texas that IMHO is the best we have to offer is the Lonestar Roundup in April. And, like you already said, the GOOD-GUYS shows in Arlington just don't ring my bell, especially since Gary passed. It's a freaking shame how money has begun to rule every aspect of life. Pisses me off, so I just try to cruise every chance I get. At 70 years young, I've got several Summers left so I'm hittin' the road for a little drive as soon as I finish this post. By the way, I have admired your RPU since I first saw it on the cover of that magazine I bought when I was just a pup.

Chili Phil, Nobey, Special Ed and 3 others like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

No photos of the piles of parts in the Swap Meet? Bob

14. 40Vert

40Vert

Here are two pics of roadsters and some others, honestly by the time I finished the swap meet, it was so hot and there were so few roadsters that I didn't take many photos in the actual show.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6-bangertim and exterminator like this.
  15. Sunday report! This was my first time here so I have nothing from the past to compare it with. That being said my wife and I had a great time. I could tell that it was not as big as the past by what others were saying. Would I come back?? Not sure. Did meet some great people and ran into some back east guys I knew. If I do come back I would get here on Thursday instead of Friday and would leave Saturday night or first thing Sunday morning. The Sheraton Fairplex and it's people were great! What the show needs now is the new management to sit-up and take notice. Lots of things could be better. But again we had a great time. Will post photos when back in CT.

hotroddon, Nobey, crminal and 2 others like this.
  16. Candfury

Candfury

Happy Father's day to all.
    After reading about the changes to the show I was a little hesitant to go,but go I did and for whatever it's worth here is my .02 about the show.Not having a roadster I have always paid to get in so that didn't matter to me. I have only been to the show 6 or 7 times so I'm no expert and I have always attended on Sunday which is typically a light turnout compared to Saturday.
    This year was a very light turn out in the specialty parking and roadster show area. The swap meet which is usually still pretty full was almost empty, but the thing I noticed the most was the lack of commercial vendors. Building 4 was about two thirds full and there were a lot of empty spots out side and in the area between the swap and building 4.
    Some of the "name" hot rod shops that I have seen in the past were not there.
    On the positive side there were misters set up for people to cool off and the building across from The Avalon was open as a "cooling center".
    While I did miss the dash plaque I have gotten in years past the promoters did put together a nice goodie bag and in place of the dash plaque there was a license plate sized plaque with the LA Roadsters logo and the year.
    The show staff I encountered was friendly and I think the promoter tried to make the show a good time .
    Will I return next year? Yes I'm willing to give it a go and see what happens.
    Like many have said it would be a shame for this show to die out.

17. Man the videos I have seen (taken by vet attendees) made the swap and the show look like a ghost town

HellsHotRods likes this.
  18. Ya think it's the new management, the heat, or a bit of both. Something seems to have happened for sure.

19. I'm just leaving the show now (2:30). Its pretty sad, only about 150 roadsters left here. Much fewer vendors, swap meet was down but not too bad but almost everyone left yesterday. I'll bet the gate was way down too. The ones that came probably won't come back after this year. I'll bet the show will be dead before John Buck's contract runs out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I once made the mistake of attending the LARS on a Sunday. I found it to be much as is being described here. I wonder if the people are comparing a Saturday in the past with Sunday this year?

Charlie Stephens

21. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

you just watch the death of the LARS becauce they did not change with the times if GG can make the change maybe they will be around a little longer

22. Not sure what happened with your bag, but my goodie bag had the license plate and a dash plaque.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. bondolero

bondolero

This decline is not unique just to the LARS. Interest and attendance at these meets is dying.
    Goodguys Gold Chain Club and NSRA are dying the same death.
    To say cost isn't a factor ignores what the average out of towner spends in travel, food, and lodging.
    Admittedly for some the journey is better than the show, but getting home isn't.
    If the SoCal guys won't even come out what about the people from 1000+ miles away ?

Its all going to have to go back to local clubs and local and regional get togethers like the early days of the NSRA. Club will set the standards and meets are small enough to be held on private property.
    Back to fun with cars where you don't have to spend a grand to get there and stay.

Anytime an event gets large enough to be lucrative, Someone/Something with step in to capitalize and eventually kill it. Ive watched the cities kill every major meet in the area by banning or taking them over.

Tman and 6-bangertim like this.
  24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Myself and quite a few others don't attend too many events these days where the people who provide the entertainment are charged an admission fee for the privilege. When the $$ goes to a worthy cause (Charity) and not someone's bank account we attend. Many organizers, not all, are not owners themselves and charge admission to cover the trophies that so many people vie for. There are plenty of others on the peripheries who capitolise on financial gain yet are reticent to show good faith (Discounted accommodation, food etc) to the people who spent considerable time, effort and $$$ putting together a car and then actually provide the entertainment by donating their valuable time for the benefit of others. Don't get me wrong and sure we all like our cars and catching up with like minded people and sharing the love of cars with others. I understand that there are many behind the scenes volunteers and insurance etc etc. Some organisers, not all, are only there for financial reward on the premise of providing either goods or a service to others.

mcsfabrication likes this.
  25. Erwin

Erwin

I was able to attend only once in '07 (One of the fly-in's). Had a blast. It'd be unfortunate to have it diminish or go away. Lots of good points being made here. I'm not offering a solution. That will take some doing. There's the inevitable change that comes with time. LARS was at the right time and place with a vision that became a great event like nothing else. Quite the accomplishment. May those at the helm release how special this thing is , & walk in the wisdom to transition it to continue for a long time to come.

26. Sweeney

Sweeney

My only experience with this club's Father's Day event dates back to I believe 1978 when it was held at a drive-in theater in La Mirada(?) so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'll concur that Sunday really was a ghost town. Truly felt bizarre with no cars or people there.

I won't go into a lot of details of the discussion I had with a 30+ year friend that works the event, but the cost of the pewter mug and goodie bag contents far exceeded the $50 entry fee, according to him. And there was some discussion of other local events cutting into the attendance numbers too. Very well could see this go to a Friday Saturday show going forward...

The event staff were awesome though as I was responsible in getting the black #2 on and off the trailer and back to my shop. There was some confusion here and there but extremely nice people working the deal...

[​IMG]

Speedwrench likes this.
  27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Kind of late to the party here but, what is also not known to those posting, bitching how what was once free now cost, is that every dept of the city of LaVern (it surrounds the Plex) forms a line in front of the promoter with their hands out collecting permit fees. You have police, fire, sanitation, public works getting a chunk because you use that citys roads to enter and exit the event. Back in the 2000, GG's put on a drag race at the "plex". Byron Edwards(who was in charge of the event) showed me the leger of checks he HAD to write before one car ever went down the race track-- sobering amount. 17 years later do you think that those fees were the same amount??? If creating an event is soooo profitable, zero risk, takes just a few days to put it all together and all the greedy promoter has to do is count the money, I look forward to attending an event that you put on which will never happen.

HEMI32, 29bowtie, cretin and 4 others like this.
  28. bondolero

bondolero

Same here, cities have ruined every local show.

29. I talked to some guys from New Zealand and they were pretty upset at the way the show turned out. Lots of $$ to fly from New Zealand and have the show be what it was. Talked to some guys from the Mid West and they had come out in 09 and were saddened at what the show had become. It was kinda like heaving the Circus animals pay to perform.

30. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This was the first time I went in as a "Rodster Rider/(It belongs to my better half). We met friends from up North and he guided us to a great tree shaded spot where the breeze kept the triple digits at bay. This was Saturday, as I had to work Friday. We headed out to the land of stupid prices and kept our pennies in our pocket. But to have some fun while we marched we started a little game,,, how much is that Moon take? Moon takes have been made for how many years? And how many have been made?? Well the highest was $850.00 and the screaming deal of the day was done by a Ausie how found one for $200.00, he said he almost broke his arm pulling out the money.
    With that said, there were some good deals, but as a former seller, we know the best deals were in the Thursday Swapper wait line and Friday morning.
    We killed some time resting and checking out the building (only one).
    Finally as paid in full Roadsterites, we headed for the hill. For those that don't know, if you pay your money and hang around, the LA Roadster will feed you. As we lined up we let Ed Eskiderian cut in line, wouldn't you, and we got to talk with him, great moment. At the food line we were loaded up with cole slaw, beans, and as much brisket on a roll as your eyes would allow and a quarter BBQ chicken, followed by soft liquids (which was good as water was $3.75 each in the show). Then when you were stuffed, there was cake,,,,
    We came back to the show on Sunday and yes it was a ghost town, the swapper were gone, the hot rodders were gone, and mainly it was the stupid Roadster Owners hanging around for THE CUP, you all might have them lined up on your shelf, but this was our first time.
    We walked some, talked some, got real paper catalogues from Vendors.
    And talked to our friend who was and is a LA Roadster member from the start, great guy. We talked about he show and its size, how it became difficult for an volunteer group to run it, but he also told us that The Roadster pay $35.00 for each cup. And at the appointed time, they handed us a box with a beautiful engraved cup inside
    With that, we felt we got our $50.00 entry,,, I don't know about anyone else.