Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1951 Bel Air field find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, May 27, 2017.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'm sure some of you saw this car when I was in the process of rescuing it, and a couple of other cars. I am on a wrench hiatus due to only being 2 and a half weeks post-op on some shoulder surgery. I thought I would go ahead and start a build thread on this one. Lots of pics to begin with. Question....I cant get behind the carb to see what it is.....anyone know from looking? I'm not sure what I am going to do with this car, maybe get it running and sell it, or fix it up and cruise it...I still haven't crawled under it to what the trans and the rear end are. The engine is stuck, but I have no idea how bad. I have only made a weak attempt at seeing if the engine would rotate, and it wouldn't. I need to pull the plugs and run the bore scope down into the cylinders and see whats up. Check it out and all feedback is appreciated! More pics coming..... IMG_20170304_191615.jpg IMG_6952.JPG IMG_6958.JPG IMG_6959.JPG IMG_6960.JPG IMG_6978.JPG IMG_6979.JPG IMG_6984.JPG IMG_6985.JPG

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

More pics.....

Attached Files:

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow, That was a pretty pimped out lookin ride at one time, (348/409?) radiused rear wheel wells for a classy look instead of for bigger tires, alternater looks like a mopar(?) and air conditioned......interesting piece, would be nice to see a pic of it in its glory days.

4. From the dipstick location it is a 348. 409 is on passengers side.

low budget likes this.

5. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Cool kustom. Any idea on the console ? Reminds me of an old Mopar but not sure.

Bring it back to its former glory!

6. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Was it upside down?One hell of a rust top side.

Nice shifter, I'd keep it 'cos it looks odd.

7. Joe H

Joe H

Carburetor is a Rochester 4Jet. Without the brass ID tag, it's hard to ID the 4Jet.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Console looks like '65 Impala SS

9. upspirate

upspirate

Console is out of a mid or late '60's SS , can't remember which year or model

droppedstepside likes this.
  10. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'm thinking the drivetrain and console and maybe the buckets are out of a 65 Impala SS.

DBruce and slowmotion like this.
  11. slowmotion

slowmotion

I think you're on the right track. And, fwiw the 409 was still available in the Impala for (early) '65.

12. Console is for sure a '65 Impala. I'd make every effort to get the engine to turn and or run and re-use it.

13. scotts52

scotts52

Damn. That's a pretty decent interior for a field find. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

30modelacoupe likes this.
  14. Your shoulder doing well I hope. Got some glass in the 54. Looks more like a car now. Come by when your up this way.

15. upspirate

upspirate

Shifter looks to have 3 fwd settings.....wouldn't that be for a turbohydramatic?

30modelacoupe likes this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That looks to have been a really nice car at one time right down to the interior, chrome garnish and A/C.

I'd build it as a Mid-late 60's Street Machine (just as it probably was) as if someone in the mid 60's swapped in the guts of a wrecked Impala;

Aluminum intake, headers, period chrome air cleaner, distributor.
    Competition Orange paint.
    Cragars or chrome reverse with blackwalls.
    Traction bars.
    Black interior.

You may be able to Lysol and clean (Wife have a garment steam cleaner?) and dye the interior black. I knew a guy that bought a Deuce coupe with a fugly gold velvet interior that he dyed black and it came out great. Naval jelly the chrome garnish and run it.

choptop40 and 30modelacoupe like this.
  17. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

That is really going to make a nice driver

18. Can't sell you another dual intake for this one ! Heal quickly !
    Bob.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Love that body style. Drove one for a while in the 60's. Had a GMC 6 cylinder in it. Had my first Foxcraft shifter in it . Bought it from Western Auto for $19.95.

20. Nice find.Keep us posted if you get the motor freed up.Thanks.Bruce.

21. Cool find, Rmonty. I'm trying to figure out if you are in the South West, because that looks to me like a classic Tiajuana interior. But it looks like there's way too many trees with green leaves where you are to be the SW.

That looks like it would be the correct Rochester 4gc for a mid 60's Impala. The low choke and throttle arms and linkages look like '59-'66 Chevy V8 car. But to be sure it would take some research.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It looks like it still has the brass tag on it, so maybe that won't be so hard. If you zoom in on these pages Chevy ran Carters as well as Rochesters on Impalas, maybe your tag # will match one of the V8 models that year.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Great carb imho. Worth messing with. Electric choke upgrade will only be $40, rebuild kit $50. Keep the leather cup in the accelerator pump if it's still there, just soak it in oil to revive it. I've even got 4gc's that had completely seized throttle plates to free up and work great. (On a drag strip? No. I don't dress in drag, I just like fixing up old cars and driving around.....)

Looks like someone really liked this car, and spent some time pimping it out. Wonder what the story was.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Clunker I am in North Texas. The interior is good enough that it wouldn't take a lot to get it cleaned up. All the carpet is unraveling but the diamond tucks are in decent shape. I bought an old 92 Jeep XJ a while back and brought that interior back to being very respectable. I'm seeing a set of Torq Thrusts with pie crusts on the rear bolted onto this old car.

clunker likes this.
  23. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hey there Dick,

I'll get by there soon and check out your rust repair and return that tool.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too . I need to scrounge around and get some tires under this car so I can see what's underneath.

25. Ah. N Texas. Funny, from when I drove through Texas, I went through every possible climate in one state. Big place. I would keep the interior too, very cool. Hopefully you can mess with it and get it running. Fun project.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

Although a/c isn't traditional I am hoping I can find modern components to get the a/c working on this one again. I love the 60s add on a/c. I don't know why I couldn't dig around and find a 134a expansion valve and a newer compressor and get it cooling. That's awhile down the road however.

As far as I know this car was last running in the early 90s. I was told it was brought to where I found it on a trailer but I have no knowledge why.

clunker likes this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You can use 134A in the old R12 system, just have to flush out all the old oil and put in new. Can even use the York compressor. I've changed several over that way, all worked good.

I like your thoughts on the Torque Thrusts and pie crusts. A two tone paint job would look good, dark on the bottom with a lighter color top. Should make a nice cruiser with the W motor and automatic.

28. RMONTY

RMONTY

Here are a couple of the headliner pics. It may be able to be saved. All the materials in the seat covers and headliner are in really good condition. They aren't brittle or deteriorated. The trim needs to be taken out and cleaned up. It was painted black but the paint is peeling. IMG_6977.JPG IMG_6976.JPG IMG_6975.JPG

29. 134 expansion valves are available. Mount to adapt the sanden compressor to the York mount are available also. Sanden would be less drag on the W motor.

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love that car !
    I am very fond of radius rear fenders on the right car, and this one sure is.
    Lot's of very desirable combinations with it's build too..
    Please keep us in the loop...