Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to pre-war iron

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 92GTA, May 15, 2017.

1. 92GTA

92GTA

I'm 37 and have yet to own anything pre-1940. A busy life, a shoelace budget, and other interests have kept me playing with muscle car era junk instead. I've never been able to afford more than 1 car at a time so my cars are always driving projects.

My oldest son is 17 now and I think buying something to participate in the Race of Gentlemen would be a life changer for him. He is interested in street racing (no import 4 bangers thank god!) and he is still deciding what kind of car he wants. I was going to steer him towards an old muscle car but they are just too expensive now, even for a roller ($7K+). Plus I think his personality is geared more towards the pre-war stuff, even tho he doesn't know it yet. My 14 year is going to for sure turn into a crazy steampunker and want something pre-war I can already tell but that's another story haha!

So, with the Race of Gentlemen in mind (to keep him away from illegal street racing, which is the path I took), what are some cool old cars we can look at buying that would be complete and driveable? Ideally, I'd like someone else's running car. I'm not looking for a rat-rod per se with tons of crazy parts of an owners specific taste, but for sure something with a good rusty/primer patina but with minimal rust holes and with everything done and working that needs to be. I'd love to find something with an old flathead and not a modern engine. Something very vintage, kinda original, lots of patina, and I'm open to any modifications to the body by previous owners.

My price range is maybe $5K tops. He doesn't have a job and I'm beyond strapped and in allot of debt taking care of my elderly mother so I need to keep this basic and inexpensive for now. Even that will take him a summer job and me a few months to scratch together.

I have no idea what years/makes/models or where to start looking.

Thanks! Alex

2. Squablow

Squablow

TROG allows only 1934 and older vehicles. A fully roadworthy drive able 34 or older model with minimal rust for under 5k is kinda asking for the moon. And TROG is very selective of the cars that can run, they only have room for so many.

You might look for a running model a ford chassis and a t roadster body that you could mate up to it, that you could probably get on the road for $5k if you're resourceful.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 92GTA

92GTA

That sucks, I didn't know it was so popular that anyone that wanted to run couldn't.

Thanks for the advice. Stuff like this is like what I'm looking for but who knows what the end bid will be: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Ford-Model-A-stock-/222511689630

It would be his daily driver for senior year of HS so a roadster wouldn't cut it for the winter weather.

I'm a die hard GM/MOPAR guy and Ford has always been a bad word in our house, but for this I'm totally open.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as long as you are working on a low end budget, like many here, need to keep your eyes on ads here, craigslist, swap meets, estate sales, etc - need to review TROG rules, and search threads that have lots of pics from TROG event to decide on what you are comfortable with - 2018 TROG will come sooner than you think

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

watch where final bid goes, and if seller accepts - don't forget about shipping costs too - need to consider regs for registering in Cali

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  6. You really have to read their guidelines.

http://theraceofgentlemen.com/racing-qualifications-and-entry-information/

American made only:

Cars '34 or older. No trucks. No sedans. (Roadsters and convertibles only). Motors '48 or earlier. Running gear '53 or earlier.

Bikes: '47 or earlier American made only.

Plus tons of limitations, everything basically needs to be authentic.

That equals lots of $, or lots of friends in the hobby who give you deals.

Initially it would seem cheaper to build a car for TROG than for the road, but if you think about it, it's exactly the opposite.

I would suggest you guys buy a bunch of Hot Rod Deluxe, Kar Kulture Delux, rodder's journals etc. and read up. Even better read a bunch of build threads here.

You can buy some clapped out model A for $5k and just start working on it, trying to get it running. Make sure it has a title. Keep it stock, keep it simple. Modifying gets expensive and complicated. Read the Tardel Model Av8 book to get an idea of the scope it takes to build an actual rod.

Most guys here take several years to get a project done. Just be a spectator at TROG, let your son learn to weld and help him learn to fix the mechanicals. It will be exciting enough to finally drive around on the street in a car he fixed up with his own two hands.

Save up another 2k$ and look for something already driving like these, like I am:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately, 4-5k generaly buys a non titled, non operating A. But you might get lucky.

flatford39 likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Coupes can run at TROG but not sedans or pickups, it doesn't have to be an open car. And I think it's really cool that you want to do this with your son, and we all had to start somewhere so no shame in just getting into it now. I hope you can do it.

Just remember that it's not cheap or easy. It's definitely not a cheaper alternative to muscle cars (I've done both, they both get expensive once you get beyond the bare basic stuff) and cheap drivers are rare. If you can scrape some money together, get a project and start a build. Planning on having something that a 17 year old kid can drive back and forth to school on a daily basis, right from day one, is probably not going to happen. But a low budget build is possible if you put in the time and effort.

As for TROG, getting a car to New Jersey to run it in the race would cost you a few thousand by itself, as it seems unlikely that they will have the race in California again (although they might). Start small and work your way up.

Many of us have spent years and untold amounts of money working our way up to a driving early rod. It's a labor of love and takes a lot of time. If you want it bad enough, it's worth it.

clunker likes this.