Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Worlds Fastest Flathead has new home.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RichFox, Apr 27, 2017.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

A flatfire.jpg motor.jpg couple of pictures of Ron Main's "Flatfire" first 300 mph flathead, at the Speedway museum.

Rusk, Jet96, turboroadster and 15 others like this.
  2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

One more reason to get my ass down there soon.....

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That and as a plus, you can see two of my old engines in the same display. Ron may be faster, but I have more engines at the Speedway museum.

4. He with the most toys... :D

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Such a cool museum! :)

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He who dies with most toys is dead.
    He who lives with most toys is unhappy.
    He who lives and enjoys the toys he has wins every time..... I'm a happy guy..

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

JD
    When was the last time the 40 was out?????

Tman likes this.
  8. Can someone take a picture of the wild flathead engine next to Ron Mains car.I would really like to see it in detail.I know it was a feature in Hot Rod Mag,but I lost or misplaced my issue.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

gas pumper likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the historic record that is the rebuilt car that crashed, correct? The DO Green engine I once had is in the Speedway collection, wonder if the two single stick ROOF heads are there too? Bob

12. image.jpeg Thanks RichFox.Your suggestion worked well!

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

37Kid, I think you are right, that is the former Speed Demon which was the former Flatfire. Good on George Poteet for returning that car to Ron Main the way it started out!!!

14. sololobo

sololobo

I can never say enough good things about our pride of Nebraska Speedway Museum. I must get down there and see this iconic speed machine.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1998. Bonneville and El Mirage. Had some trouble with Fontanas 12 port in the roadster and didn't want to sell my entry. It's awaiting another life in my sons back yard. New frame purchased. I can guarantee it will never run the lakes again. We will never put 200 feet of tubing inside to appease the SCTA inspectors and all know rust never sleeps. Thanks for asking.

16. deucemac

deucemac

The car that is now at speedway IS NOT the wrecked Speed Demon. It is the car that Ron Main built especially to run a flathead in. It is known as flatfire. Through this car Ron and George met and Speed Demon was then designed and built. I spoke with Ron yesterday and he said that they are considering reskinning the original Speed Demon after cosmetic repairs to the damaged frame and displaying it also sometime in the future. Ron and I were trying to work out schedules for me and my son to deliver the car to Speedway but could never work it out. George Poteet stepped in and got it delivered. It looks great, I'm just sorry we couldn't deliver it ourselves.

The37Kid, lurker mick and Montana1 like this.
  17. PackardV8

PackardV8

OT, but that's the way HAMB rolls. The SCTA and Bonneville are always gonna be what they are. However, requiring slow cars to be built to withstand 300 MPH fly-and-dive crashes has kept many a real rodder off the salt.

Your opinions may vary, but Germany today is a very thoughtful and serious country. At the Nurburgring, you pay the fee, have your fun and take your chances. During public access times, there are many accidents and several deaths each year.. It is common for the track to be closed several times a day for cleanup, repair, and medical intervention. While track management does not publish any official figures, estimate the number of fatalities at somewhere between 3 and 12 in a full year. Additionally, those found responsible for damage to the track and safety barriers on track are required to pay for those repairs, along with the time and cost associated with personnel and equipment to address those damages, making any accident or breakdown a potentially expensive incident. Because it is technically operated as a public toll road, failing to report an accident or instance where track surfaces are affected is considered unlawfully leaving the scene of an accident. Just another way of looking at personal responsibility; one which could never be considered here in the nanny state.

jack vines

Jet96 likes this.