Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Somerset Gasser Build (DragNasty)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well there is a lot to catch up on from this weekend. First up Holley sent the replacement spacers as promised but they were natural instead of polished SOOoo....we just drilled the original ones out, tapped them and stepped the bolt up a size etc (what I should have done in the first place). So Idler Pulley Bracket is installed.

20170417_112955.jpg
    Then we turned our attention to the Blower Restraint system which had problems all of its own. I just put it in place to make sure every thing lined up etc. (and it didn't). I was immediately bummed out a bit as there was no way for the plate to go on with the injector plugs pointing down as the restraint plate was in the way. (that would have been nice because the plugs and wiring would sort of be hidden by the fuel rails on both sides. But it is what it is....

So I spun the injectors around with plugs pointing up and set the plate back in place on the restraint plate...No go!

Hilborn1.jpg
    Even with the injector plugs up and out of the way, it would not sit flush. After inspecting it to see what was in the way now, we found this...

Hilborn2.jpg
    The bracket that supports the fuel rails on both sides had this lip on them. (same on the top and the bottom) The bottom lip was sitting on the wider restraint plate preventing it from sitting flush so we had to carefully mark and grind the bottom brackets to make it fit, problem solved. (AND NO...that is not where I am putting the screen gasket...I just had it there while were messing around to keep anything from dropping into the supercharger)....

Resized_20170415_153004.jpeg
    After we figured it all out I decided the only way to make this all work was to put studs in the top. I mean there is a gasket, the restraint plate, a gasket, the injector block, a gasket and then the four port injector unit. Try keeping all that crap aligned while you insert six bolts.:eek: So we measured all the pieces and giving it 3/4" into the supercharger, decided a three inch stud would be perfect.

We popped into our neighborhood parts store and of course they have nothing to fit the bill. However after looking out front on the shelves, I found a bubble pack of exhaust studs. There were an assortment of them for $8.99 which included three 3" studs (according to the back of the package). So I we bought them both to have six studs and headed back home. Here is something you need to know about exhaust style studs: 3" includes the hex head on the end. So after installing all the studs and all the layers, we had no threads for a bolt.:rolleyes: But we at least had everything lined so we just removed the studs one at a time and inserted a standard bolt in its place. So if you are keeping track...that was basically $20 to align the stuff on top of the supercharger...:p!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resized_20170415_204904.jpeg
    We did finally get all in place (after drilling a set of middle holes in the restraint plate there were missing). We also tried to install the headers to make sure the blower restraint brackets fit properly etc. That was another issue (par for the course) as they hit the lower row of head bolts AGAIN. If you remember we had to grind on them the first round as well to make them fit. But finally we got them back on and I am pleased with the restraint system etc. Even though we had to do a bit of modifying on it as well....

mad mikey, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resized_20170416_181253.jpeg
    Notice anything missing from the above photo?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You done blowed the flag off.

mad mikey, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP...Sneak Peak around the door and into the Dragnasty Shop...She is changing!

Resized_20170416_180208.jpeg

6. i ran into a similar situation with the restraint. I just flipped it over so it cleared. the angle went up instead of down.

7. ARP makes a low profile head bolt for the bottom bolts, I have yet to find a set of big block Hooker headers that clear the standard bolts. My engine builder let me know about them.

8. i don't use bolts on the restraints. i use a stud thats long enough to hold both brackets. that might be a option if you have the room. nothing says the restraint has to attach at the headers. you have front strut bars passing the engine. its another option.

9. gonmad

gonmad

Ain't hot rodding fun?!? :eek:

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We tried it several ways. If we flipped it angled up, it hit the fuel rails. But I am pretty happy. Before we locked it all down, I did feed the individual plugs up from the bottom so its not too bad. We will cut off the ID tags and put the wires in the same black mesh covers as the rest of the wiring...it will look alright.

20170417_212829.jpg

mad mikey, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will remember that...I about had a fit the first time around (like 30 pages back) when I had to grind on a brand new set of Sandersons. But by now I am used to it. Seems just about everything that goes on the Austin gets a custom grind!:D In fact at this point, I would worry about it if it didn't need to be ground a bit! LOL

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Some heat shrink on it and you will be good.

loudbang likes this.
  13. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

I'll be sad to see the Union Jack go, was really fitting.

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I got home last night I found Dad had been in the shop all day doing body work we missed in the flurry to wrap her the first time. It has been bothering him since we rolled it out of the shop last Summer. He is not as excited about the new look as he is the opportunity to clean up some of our body work from round 1.:cool:

Resized_20170418_063229.jpeg
    A few keepsakes had apparently found the shop door as well.:p

Resized_20170418_063234.jpeg

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know...we will put a small one on there somewhere. But wait till you see her new digs! ;):p

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy cow...just glanced at the calendar.....14 days till the dyno!

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WooHoo!!!:p DRAGNASTY is pre-registered for the HAMB DRAGS!
    Edit: Pre-Registered, Pre-Approved and Pre-Paid....Ready To Run!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    mad mikey, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AND....I got me a cool new Gold HAMB Equipped Shirt to match the Austin's new digs....Spoiler Alert!
    winged_1024x1024.jpg

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last few missing pieces rolled in today...hopefully with a weekend forecast of heavy rains we can hang in the shop and finish this crazy thing. First up the throttle cable from Alkydigger and the clip on/off burnout throttle stop made it. Dad was working on a home made removable throttle stop but things didn't work out. But he is still excited because he will still have to come to the car after the burnout to remove...AND get his Austin Coil on!!!:D

IMG_1528.JPG

KS100.JPG

I also picked up the fuel lines this morning. Since we stayed with e85 fuel I decided to upgrade to the stainless steel braided Teflon lines. I had guys say they used the standard braided for e85 and even Alcohol with no break down but I just can see getting away with it. We are 12AN out of the cell, through the first inline filter and into the pump. Then we are 10AN from the pump to the regulator 12' then 10AN from the regulator to fuel block 2' then 8AN from the fuel block to the fuel rails. Then we are 8AN on the return line 12' with a 10 AN vent in the cell.

I had a bit of a sticker shock when I picked up the hose. It is pricey enough as is but ad about 12 fittings and labor etc. and it got expensive fast.:eek:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  20. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

How about a prediction how fast the new combo will be? You have built a stout piece for her.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it has an easy 8 second pass in it. That would be pretty hard launch, keep it straight and near the 8500 chip. But I doubt we push it that hard, at least not right away. Low 10s to high 9s is all we are looking for unless we get all "Street Outlaw" with it some night and go fishing:eek:...LOL:D We will know more when we finally get to a test and tune night but right now my plan is good wheels up launch and let her MPH out the back gate.

loudbang likes this.
  22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Not as fast as my digger lmao

Chrome don't get ya home

loudbang likes this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jackson you are just too much!!!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff, saltflats and loudbang like this.
  25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

No but I got a can I could tip a bit lol

Chrome don't get ya home

26. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Can? You better tip the barrel and a touch of hydrozine to catch that Austin

As soon as I got a race car, I never saw another hundred dollar bill.

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've got a lot to do today. Started this morning by removing the old starter button and switch panel. I ordered another set of four switches for the new EFI and water pump. That will leave me a couple spares in case I find something else. I know for for sure I need some interior lighting...gets pretty dark in there at night...lol.

[​IMG]

I had some scrap Hot Rod Magazine Aluminum left over from Dad's door panels so used some of it this time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. He has to put all that to the ground yet on the austin! LOL.:D

loudbang likes this.
  29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Finally someone gets it lol

Chrome don't get ya home

gonmad, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

Seems like a lot of time and money to run low 10's or high 9's . My old gasser ran 9.80's with a .060 over 350 at the Hot Rod reunion in Bowling Green in 2004 . I had less then 5 grand in the whole motor.
    I am shooting for mid 10's with my Morris Minor project with a .040 over 302 Ford. Good heads, solid roller cam . tunnel ram .
    I would predict you should be in the mid 8's with all the stuff you have thrown at the Dragnasty. faded memories.jpg

kiwijeff, mad mikey and swade41 like this.