Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help finding a radiator for my 30 A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackalope, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jackalope

jackalope

I need a radiator to fit inside my coupes grill shell. Attached are pics with measurements.
    I was going to get a 65/66 mustang radiator and just move the inlet and outlet for my VERY late model chevy engine. The problem is the top is square and won't fit in the shell.
    Anyone have an idea before I look at a custom jobber. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

I have a model A radiator

3. jackalope

jackalope

That won't help me. Please look at the size restrictions.
    It cannot be taller than 22" at center and must slope down to 20" on sides or simply be flat on top but no taller than 20" overall height.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

When I needed one for my 28A shell,its chopped 3 in. lower. I found alum one for a T-bucket T-shell on egay,it's only 1in. narrow,so that means nothing=1/2in gap each side for 28shell an fits the chop fine. Cost me at the time 3or4 years back $140 an they covered shipping. At that,I had no idea if it was very good,but has turned out great. THis one was for Ford,but they did have Chevy too. 002 (4).JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. jackalope

jackalope

6. jackalope

jackalope

Dana, all the ones I have found were still too tall. What is the max height of yours if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi You are also going to need to consider that big U shaped radiator holder that wraps 3 sides of the radiator. Hard to figure radiator size without allowing for that piece. looks like you will end up with a very small radiator so you may need to make up for that with extra thickness or add one of those terrible looking (on your ride) electric fans.
    We all used to have local radiator shops that could build to fit. Are you lucky enough to have one nearby?
    Jimmie

8. jackalope

jackalope

Jimmie, what U shaped holder might you be referring to? I don't have any such holder on my 28s radiator.
    I will have an electric fan on this unfortunately.
    If I had retained the original coil packs and kept the ignition system stock then I'd have space up front. Putting a distributor off the front pushes everything forward too far and real estate quickly dries up. Trade off. This is not a traditional hot rod. As a matter of fact it is not considered acceptable on this site because of the engine. That's why I said it is a VERY late model chevy engine.

9. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Have a model A rad recored to you height...

10. jackalope

jackalope

Thanks but no.
    If I have to go that route I will just order a custom one. Trying to avoid that hence the post trying to find one already made with the dimensional restrictions I have.

11. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. You have to have something to bolt the radiator to that is inside your grill shell. It just does not sit there and does not bolt to the grille shell. Most all radiators I have seen have this piece of metal bent in a U configuration that goes down each side of the radiator & is bolted solid at the bottom and on later models to sheet metal on each side.
    Likely the more I say will just show how little I know about the 28.
    Jimmie

12. jackalope

jackalope

Jimmie,
    I can weld any mounting brackets to the radiator. The mounting isn't my concern. I just need a radiator that'll fit into the shell I have above.
    I don't even care if the inlet and outlet are in the wrong (ford) position. I will switch them.
    Anyone got any ideas of units that'll fit?

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah model A's don't have that U shaped yoke. They have feet at the bottom and stay rods at the top. The shell does bolt right to the radiator on a stock one.

I'm no help on a radiator at the moment but I'll go dig around and see if anything pops up

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Before I go look around any reason you couldn't buy a cheap aluminum mustang radiator and cut the corners off the top tank and slant them like your needing? If your fine welding on a radiator I don't know why you couldn't weld the top tank and then Pressure test it?

15. jackalope

jackalope

I must be in a food coma! I didn't even think of that!
    Right under my f'n nose.

I am gonna go look at those again. Thanks Tim!

Grant

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_6350.JPG $289 isn't real cheap but it would fit. I'll keep looking

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_6352.JPG Looks like you could get one 19 tall and 22 wise for $139.

Your tape shows 20 but it seems like mustang rads are a good fit, maybe the 22 is with the flanges on the side? I

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Measured the one I have thats supposed to be mustang sized and it's 20 1/4 ish talk with out the filler neck and 18 and a fraction wide st the top tank. 20 something at the flang/mounting bracket you don't need. I don't see it in speedways catalog anymore but it's stamped "northern" on the top so maybe that will yield something. It was in the $150 range I believe

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  19. jackalope

jackalope

Thanks Tim. I have a few questions out to sellers about dimensions. I think I can simply cut the top tanks and slant them down.
    The width is 20 on my shell so I need to stay within those parameters.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It looks like the cap should just barely fit in your shell but the tanks and core are fine. Might need to stick a 90 on the neck but it should fit.

I also think they sell it with the outlets on the left/right however you prefer them

22. jackalope

jackalope

Thanks. It looks like most mid 60's mustang rads will work. Now I just need to make sure I have enough real estate between the ati dampener and the proposed new radiator for a fan
    Gotta live the building process.

23. jackalope

jackalope

Update, I found one that'll fit and ordered it. The measurements that were given were including the mounting tabs which made me think it wouldn't fit. One seller clarified and I should have plenty of room once I modify those tabs. All necks/inlet/outlet are in correct spot to boot.
    Thanks again all!

Tim likes this.
  24. jackalope

jackalope

Here's what showed up. Fits like a glove. [​IMG][​IMG]
    I may need to add a hose connection depending on the special Wegner water pump that goes with this front distributor LS motor.
    Anyway, that is my update. Thanks for all the help and this thread is dead

pat59 and Tim like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It's not dead until you post a link to the one you bought for the next guy to find it ;)

pat59 likes this.