Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Is there an engine you just love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Whatever was that evil, badass, ground pounding thing was that went down my street last night, settin' off my dogs? Dunno - I want it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

It's pretty hard to beat an Elephant Motor.

[​IMG]

enloe, Hombre, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  3. 51Olds88A

51Olds88A

93 Posts and nobody has mentioned the original Rocket?! Gotta lay down a vote for the first, the best, the Rocket V8! I realize mine in this pic is a J2, so not technically "the first", but still. . .this is one of three Rockets I'm running in various rides (303, 324 and 371).
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 13 others like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My OT 66 Fairlane had an FE and loved it. Wouldn't mind a side oiler project!

Deuces likes this.
  5. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

I like pretty well all engines, but living in a land of small four cylinder units; I think that anything v8 and up has great visual impact. Here's the one in my '50 truck.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  6. spanners

spanners

Does an engine in a Spitfire plane count? Or any radial 'plane engine.

Deuces, 34toddster and Spoggie like this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm pretty partial to the General's take on the hotrodded sbc:
    [​IMG]
    And a tip of the hat to the baby BB
    [​IMG]
    And of course the King BB
    [​IMG]

enloe, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  8. HiHelix

HiHelix

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Most love the first V8 they had,or had found out good info on.
    For me it was Thunderbird Y-block{I still drive it},and then a Olds Rocket V8, I put in my Henry J. The funny part is,I was looking for a Studebaker V8 w 4bl. too start with in the 50s for my hotrod build,just came up with the Ford Y-block,an stayed with them. Did a few updates over the years,too alt. an alum. rad. 003 (4).JPG

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

i like the above post because Dana explains why he likes the Y block. He has lots of hands on experience with them and knows about them. I think the posts in this thread that explain why the poster loves a particular engine are much more interesting than just writing "Packard V8". Do you have one? Have you run one? Not just Packards. Whatever you love. Tell us why you love it.

Deuces, Montana1 and dana barlow like this.
  11. Well Rich, I have never run an offy but I did screw a couple together. They are a major pain in the butt to build (maybe not if you build 'em all the time). I have owned 2 Cosworth's, one I had in a small OT car ( not a GM body) and one I stuffed in a Kurtis (SP?) nosed T at the very beginnings of the track T craze. I never owned the T but I drove it, both mine and the T would scream like a turpintined cat. Neither had the grunt of a 500"caddy, nor the sweet sound of an offy at full sing but they were fun.

I have owned and built several over square V-8s and like the Cosworths and the Offys they would rev 'til hell wouldn't have it. I did help a guy in Rome, Georgia screw a de-stroked 427 medium riser once, came out to 396"and it was a brute and still revved.

My problem is that I didn't learn that there was any engine that was magic or that any engine was any harder to build than any other. All they are is nuts n bolts. you find a formula that works and it will work on any 4 stroke internal combustion engine. For me the formula that has always worked was short stroke, big bore and lightened and balanced ( that is overly simplified but you catch my drift right?)

In my world the perfect engine, the one that is going to make me giggle like a school girl every time is one that sounds like it is ready to come apart just before you shift it.

Deuces, hendelec, Surf City and 4 others like this.
  12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The engine that REALLY woke me up, & why I'm not sure, was back in high school when I first heard & read about Harry Miller's 91" straight 8 race motor from the 1920s. I'll never own one(gee, Captain Obvious!), I've heard one run only a few times(or actually even seen one a few times, for that matter), but THAT motor set a pattern within me for the rest of my life! It explains why my first car was a '48 Crosley 4cyl, why I loved the NOVI(& most other Indy Motors), why I'm addicted to Sprint Cars & Midgets(& almost any piston engine "screamer")..... Just another "Motorhead". Oh, of course, the 4cam Ford Indy motor from the '60s!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  13. Ford flathead V-8
    Cadillac Flathead V-8
    Early Hemi

Deuces likes this.
  14. Don't make me choose, please I'm begging ya.

Deuces likes this.
  15. RmK57

RmK57

Show'em who's "BOSS"

Deuces likes this.
  16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

$_3-1.jpg

Hombre, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 8 others like this.
  17. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first "built" motor I had was in '67, a 30 over 312 in a 55 bird. Local AA fuel guy built it, and how I ended up with it and the car is another story. Many motors, most OT, later I've still got a soft spot for the Yblock.

This is the boat anchor in my roadster. 56 Merc block

Attached Files:

18. The first motor that got my attention, was my uncle's '62 409 with dual quads, an Isky cam and fenderwell headers. It was the summer of 1964 and I was 9 1/2 years old. ;)

Deuces, saltflats and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. I'm a Chevy guy but a drag racer at heart so any hopped up non stock rear tire busting high rpm engine trips my trigger !
    I've had several hot small blocks that rumped and held their own on the streets, nothing like the distinctive sound of a solid lift cam small block in the upper enchilada of the rpm scale.
    I've also had several big block chevys with there low deep growl of brute force. I was never one to spin them to the moon but instead took advantage of their low rpm torque multiplied through some good gears and sure to chew some pavement.
    I've owned 455 Olds, 350 Olds 350 buicks, hell even a certain Buick turbo V6 and even an FE 390 ford that made me late for work on the first day with it (piece of crap)
    My current most favorite is my all aftermarket blown 540, this thing can lay it down, 650+ torque at 2500 and still over 700 at 5000. It's no nitro motor but for a pump gas special you can sure feel a crack in your spine when you blip this sumbitch 20151021_233216.jpg !

enloe, Deuces, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  20. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Pontiac 421 SD

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Hombre and Deuces like this.
  21. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Deuces likes this.
  22. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

I can't get the picture of my BBC427 to load but that's my choice of engine and of course any 409 and hemi with the 426 at the top of that list along with the 455 and the ford coveted 427 but I'm a big block guy lol

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

Deuces likes this.
  23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ed and the hot end of his favorite engine 17903685_10210482265871430_4019026665990365506_n.jpg

24. I love the Chrysler 383. It's just an all around great engine. Plus, it's what I cut my teeth on growing up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, das858 and wraymen like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Through the years I have owned and raced quite a variety of engines. Fords from a 289 to 427's and everything in between, including a Boss 302, a MEL 383 and Flatheads. Early Olds Rockets, and a 331 Cad were also in the mix. I ran an early Chrysler Hemi or three, my favorite is this '55- 331. After 30 years, I still vividly remember the muffled sound through a helmet, turning 8500 in the lights at 190 plus. Perhaps the fact that is was originally built by Keith Black has a lot to do with it. 2012-08-31 121849.jpg

enloe, Deuces, woodsnwater and 7 others like this.
  26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Favorite is the early Chrysler Hemi's but like Chevy W's, BBC, 327, Ford flathead.

Deuces likes this.
  27. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

Deuces, mgtstumpy, j-jock and 6 others like this.
  28. bedwards

bedwards

You guys have experienced motors most will never get to see. For me, I like all American iron but the two factory engines that impressed me were the 1964 390 Thunderbird FE with solid lifters in my grandads police interceptor and the 1966 421 Pontiac in a 2+2 my dad had. They were some of the few that could bark tires with an automatic shifting into second straight out of the factory. I wish I could find a decent 2+2 now. That car had factory engine chrome, 8 lug wheels?, white bucket seats great stereo, air and a candy apple red paint job.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Deuces and loudbang like this.