Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I don`t think I ever saw the chopped version. Was thinkin he had an electric guitar in the back seat as well.
    Talk him into comin to Indy in June. Can somebody post a link to the thread on the HAMB about him. I think everybody would enjoy seeing it.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I found a pic of Paul`s 56 Meteor Ed posted from the scan in Custom Rodder, I took this pic at the Holland Michigan show. You can tell by the lack of grass. Scan0268.jpg Scan0267.jpg and the rear shot of the 55 Olds owned by Doc as mentioned earlier in this thread. Looks like Dave Pullen(from Des Moines) owned it when I took a photo of it with the Concrete Cruizers plaque on the right. Thanks for the link @Sancho That's the one I was thinkin of.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  3. In the second KKOA book it mentioned that Jack had a white "Buddy Holly guitar, airbrushed in pink and black" hanging on the back seat.
    Jack should be a part of the CCR. Everybody would love his '60! E

Great to look over that thread again Sancho. Jack's wheel covers were Mad Max meets Grease. Over the top can really be fun! E

Great pictures, Jim. Paul Brenner's Meteor is really cool. Do you know if it was ever featured in a magazine? I don't remember seeing it in one.
    Also, the striping work on the back of Doc's Olds is really cool. I like the way "Lost in the Fifties" has a shadow. E

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@OG lil E I don`t remember seeing Paul`s 56 featured in a magazine. I hated taking pictures with hoods open, but on some cars, I couldn`t resist. If Jack would come to Indy. I`m sure he could sell more than a few hubcaps if he still has a few left. I`d be happy with one. An autograph on it would be icing on the cake.

5. Since we're talking about Jack, I thought I'd post this picture of his nice black '58 Buick four door hardtop. I found the picture on Rikster's site a long time ago. It was taken by Kustom Lincoln Lady.
    I'm not sure when this picture was taken or what show it was at, but you can see Jack had a few hubcaps on the ground for sale. Also, he is sitting down next to the car wearing a T-shirt. This was rare because as Jim mentioned, he almost always had on one of his signature button down "disco" shirts (lol). E

58 buick sled.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

I remember that guy, I bought a stack of lowrider magazines from the 80's off of Jack in the late 90's when I was in middle school, I remember the 4 door chevelle too, he was always set up in the swap meet area of the Fiesta of the 50's.

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. That's cool. Glad Jack is still into customs and is planning to attend! E

Sancho and stanlow69 like this.
  9. koolkemp

koolkemp

Found a few pics to contribute..[​IMG][​IMG] I think I took these pics at the Canadian Street Rod Nationals in the early 90's in southern Ontario, Welland I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

This car was there too, I spent half the day staring at it the bodywork was beautiful, I never saw the owner , chopped 5 inches judging by the plate. I have a really wasted 54 delivery and can't stop thinking about this car and it's chop.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Anyone know anything about it?

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

The only chopped 59-60 delivery I ever saw, pics are about 20 plus yrs old , the builders son has it still, down in California.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Not sure I like the venetian blinds but it is nicely proportioned..

chryslerfan55, OG lil E and koolkemp like this.
  14. koolkemp

koolkemp

It looks much different now, chrome is back and all the 90's stuff looked to be gone. I will see if I can find a pic, it's in California with the builders son.

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Found it, looks a bit different, the only glass cut for the chop was the vent windows.[​IMG]

16. Wow! Night and day...
    Maybe the builder used a hardtop windshield?? or did he sink or angle it?

chryslerfan55, OG lil E and koolkemp like this.
  17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Hard top w/s, stock door glass , had to cut new vent windows, the lift gate glass was sunk into a trough , I never found a salvageable delivery to copy the chop style. I still think about it lol!

Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@koolkemp Post the pic of George West`s old 51 Merc from Post number 5203 in the Kustom Blues thread. It looks to be Candy Maroon now. It was car number 7 on page 4 of this thread.

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Post in that thread so it pops up in the feed, I have little success searching with the app.

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

21. Here you go, Jim. I've never seen it in any other version than the blue. Neat to see another version, but where's the white walls? E

26fd5996f5f7d4b87640ca1bcf0c9442.jpg

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  23. During my research for this week's post, I came across a better picture of Jack Hughes' Peggy Sue. Thought I'd share. E

Jack Hughes' Peggy Sue Olds b.jpg

24. What Ever Happened To..........? number 56.

1950 Ford Convertible
    Owner: Ed Guffey
    Kansas City, Missouri

This week's W.E.H.T. is probably one of the more famous cars that I've featured here. It was built by Doug Thompson for Ed Guffey. The car started out as a business coupe, and was turned into a Carson top convertible. The car had a ton of impressive mods including unique side gills on the front fenders, super rare '54 Chrysler Imperial grille and '56 Olds taillights just to name a few.
    The car made it's debut at the 1987 Leadsled Spectacular in Springfield, Illinois, where it cleaned up with awards including the prestigious Harry Bradley Award. I saw the car again on the '91 Leadsled Spectacular video in Hamilton, Ohio. I wasn't able to find anything after that. It may have been at the Spectacular between '88 and '90, but I have no video of those shows.
    I wasn't able to find any magazine articles of the car either. I know I saw it in a few magazines between '87 and '90 or so, but most of my magazine collection from that time frame was destroyed in a flood a few years back. Not really a problem though, as I was able to find quite a few great pictures of it on Rikster's site.
    As popular as this car was, after the early 90s it seemed to disappear. Sadly, I remember reading somewhere that Ed Guffey passed away in 2005, so the car may have changed hands then, or maybe it was sold off before then, I really can't say.
    So, here is another mystery. I know such a fine custom is still around, and with the help of you guys out there that frequent this post, I'm sure some information will turn up.
    'Til next week, shine 'em up and go for a cruise! E

Ed Guffey 50 Ford a.jpg

Ed Guffey 50 Ford b.jpg

Ed Guffey 50 Ford c.jpg

Ed Guffey 50 Ford d.jpg

Ed Guffey 50 Ford e.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It was mainly featured with 4 or 5 other cars. Either with Harry Bradley award winners or with Doug Thompson built cars. Scan0273.jpg Scan0272.jpg Scan0274.jpg

Attached Files:

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

27. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

I recall seeing Ed Guffey's Carson topped shoebox for sale at one of the larger internet classic car sales sites about 5 years ago. It was still very presentable and reasonably priced for such a well done car.